I know I'm comparing apples to oranges but am I missing anything in this list of advantages to a mini split? I'm having a hard time justifying the price:

Quieter
    More attractive
    You don't have to cut a whole in your wall

Is there a big difference in efficiency?

Thanks in advance for your responses.

Follow-up question: If I go with a window unit, is there any advantage to a 250 vs. 125 volt unit or vice a versa? I see that Fedders makes a 17,500 BTU unit that's run on 125 volts.

The efficiency would be whatever seer rating unit you decide to buy, regardless of the system that you choose. I woould recommend the split as it is also easier to service. Also as to your second question, go with the higher voltage unit.

I hate wall units: They allow drafts into the house.

One thing I notice about ductless mini-splits: they're great at pulling humidity out of the air. I wind up saving electric by raising the thermostat since the humidity is kept low. Window or mini-split, you should run a seperate line for power so go for 208V if you can. Most units run at higher efficency with more voltage. Amperage drops, so you not using more power if that's what you think.

Is any part of your attic still unfinished? Another nice option is the vertical PTAC. GE and a few other makers offer units that require a smaller hole on the outside of the house, but the unit is normally in a closet or behind an interior wall so that the return air can be pulled from the room. The unit has a vertical supply duct that gets mounted to a simple duct system or blown out into the room near the ceiling.

Checkout:

http://www.gezoneline.com

The whole attic is still unfinished. This would be for cooling only, right? You like them over mini splits? Are they about the same price? Are they easier to install? John, have I told you lately how appreciative I am of your help?! I wish I could just hire you.

You may have seen some vertical PTAC's in some tall hotel building. The unit has a vent register on the outside wall. The unit is indoors and nothing sticks outside. They cost slightly more then regular PTACS. But costs rise if you want to add more elaborate duct work. The cheaper ones usually come with electric strip heat since they're used as primary heating/cooling for a room.

You must weight the costs of installing wall or PTAC style AC's. Since you have not finished the attic yet, you should see if you wish AC for the whole house. Easier to do it now before the attic is finished. While a central AC might be pricey, it's more efficent then running several smaller window/wall units.

Sorry, I do comercial HVAC engineering. I still call contractors do my HVAC.

Around here, we need to worry about heating too. A mini with no backup isn't gonna cut it at 0° out but a same size PTHP with 5kw backup does a lot of sunrooms.

With the board's help I decided on a hot water baseboard heating solution off of my steam boiler. Now I'm just working on the cooling solution. I thought I had decided on a Mr. Slim unit. The vertical PTAC would only be if I wanted both heating and a/c in one unit, right?

I just installed a Fedders mini-split unit and was very impressed with the results. up until then, i have never delt with any of the mini-split units. the unit looks nice and is very quiet, (both indoor and outdoor units.) almost could not hear it running!
    However, the indoor section looks like it could be a pain in the butt to work on.
    The customer was also happy, they too, did not want a window unit in their newly designed office.

Originally posted by njcardsfan
    With the board's help I decided on a hot water baseboard heating solution off of my steam boiler. Now I'm just working on the cooling solution. I thought I had decided on a Mr. Slim unit. The vertical PTAC would only be if I wanted both heating and a/c in one unit, right?
    You'll see the units with electric strip heat are just AC units and cost less then the heat pump models. The electric strip heat units use more electricy in heat mode, a glorifed hair drier. Just don't use them in winter! Nice to have the electric strip as an emergency backup if the boiler was down for repairs. The vericals seem quiter to me then regular PTAC's. I guess sticking them in a closet and having a few feet of duct to an air supply register near the ceiling helps isolate the noise of the unit.

The unit requires to be mounted on an outside wall so the condenser can exhaust hot air outdoors (like a wall AC) and the return grill needs to be mounted against an inside wall.