Upgrading a motor.
    I'm getting two Fanhandlers along with a few other things installed on my units. I was thinking about the Baldor motors they recommend to go with them but was unsure of the benefit or increased benefit. I currently have a RUUD model # UGPH?? 100,000 btu 80% furnace 10 EAMER. It's a 1/2 HP motor. It has low/med/med-high/high. That's all I really know about it.

My question is if the upgrade to the Baldor motor they suggest would be a feasible idea? My current motors are 6 years old and 9 years old. My Contractor says you can always add it later, which is OK, but if I can get a good reason to do it now, I will while he's here doing all the other work since he's also doing a system efficiency test among other things. Is there a way I can compare efficiencies of the two motors? I will be running two of these motors continously everyday for filtration. The Fanhandler website keeps referring about using "High quality motor" to save energy with the Fanhandler, but I don't know where my motor stands in this equation.

I called RUUD and they couldn't give me the motor's energy consumption. At least the tech assistance couldn't. They DID tell me it was 1/2 HP though.

[Edited by cissado on 03-14-2006 at 11:57 PM]

first, NOBODY will be able to measure the difference due to a "more" efficient motor --
    because, when a rotating machine operates at less than design full load, e drops off FAST.

do you have a/c?
    if so, running fan 24/7 will raise the RH% --

get a 5" thick media filter unit installed -- change it often -- better option
    harvest rainwater,make SHADE,R75/50/30= roof/wall/floor, use HVAC mastic,caulk all wall seams!

Thanks cembsee. I was told about the humidity issue. I may need to install a timer or something else on the system. I'll see what options the contractor has. I was hoping to use a very low speed while running and negate or lessen the humdity problem. That is a totally uninformed assumption btw. I realize it's a whole different ballgame between summer and winter regarding humidity (I'm in NJ) but right now I have mid 20% humidity naturally in my house.

I was just wondering if the switch to the Baldor would be economical for me. I didn't really need exact numbers, but I was unaware of the RUUD's stock motors' quality/efficiency and thought it may be a known issue. How much does the motor draw at the highest speed or lowest speed relative to the other? I really don't know what I'm looking for. I just don't want a terribly high energy bill each month. I also read about the possible noise that may result if a non "high quality" motor was used with the Fanhandler at low speeds. I just wanted to do it right this time around and trying to filter through some things.

One more question regarding your post. Isn't it the Fanhandler's design to run constantl even when the heat or AC is off? I may have understood it wrong but I thought it went on a preset low speed after the heat or AC shut down, just to keep air circulating. That was a big selling point for me because I did want that for my air cleaner to run. I WILL shut it down if/when the humidity rises or cycle it like I said. Is that in fact the way the Fanhandler runs after the call for heat or AC ends?

Originally posted by cissado
    One more question regarding your post. Isn't it the Fanhandler's design to run constantl even when the heat or AC is off? I may have understood it wrong but I thought it went on a preset low speed after the heat or AC shut down, just to keep air circulating. That was a big selling point for me because I did want that for my air cleaner to run. I WILL shut it down if/when the humidity rises or cycle it like I said. Is that in fact the way the Fanhandler runs after the call for heat or AC ends? I have a mobile home that i upgraded a motor from 1/3 H.P. to 1/2 the airflow is great but the split across the coil is 18 deg. vs. 20 deg. lost 2 deg. i would stick with the same H.P..

Can;t answer the shut off question, but your contractor should be able to.

As far as the motor their talking about, its better to use a ball bearing motor then a sleeve bearing motor like the ones in your furnaces now.

The current ones could go out due to the rpm's not being high enough to keep the bearings lubricated.

As far as energy savings by the motor running slower, you will see some if you currently run your fans 24/7.

How long your current motors will last with the fanhandler, is a flip of the quarter.
    Contractor locator map

How-to-apply-for-Professional

How many times must one fix something before it is fixed?

it’s not broke, don’t fix it. It's a waste of resources.

Originally posted by cissado

I called RUUD and they couldn't give me the motor's energy consumption. At least the tech assistance couldn't. They DID tell me it was 1/2 HP though.
    Your contractor can measure watts and tell you what the motor uses. A guy in another state cannot put a meter on it. All I can say is you better be sure the temperature rise is correct when it's all said and done because a modified fan and a cracked HX mean you own it, not warranty. Fan handlers may or may not reduce the life of the motor but they sure will effect the warranty on the motor if anyone finds out.