Question Heater Furnace Stopped Working ~ Is this The Cause???

Our forced air gas heating furnace is not working. It was fine all last year and for a few weeks this year but last night it stopped working and all i can hear is a buzzing noise coming from the item in the picture (see red arrow).

Last year we had to replace the Honeywell control panel / board (you can see part of it in the photo several inches above the arrowed unit) plus we cleaned some igniter / sensor head in the flame area and everything started working again.

What was odd was the red arrowed unit kept running and running when the furnace was on or off. The furnace could be off for several hours and this unit would continue to run. I was always saying because this thing was constantly running one day it will fail. Well today it is just buzzing and the furnace does not kick in.

Firstly, what is the name of this unit and could it be the cause for my furnace not running.

If it matters here are some #s i pulled from the top of the unit:

Model #: HCS2-750
    Serial #: 14915HCJN

Attached Images Attached Images  

Their is something else wrong with your unit that caused your combustion air fan to constantlly run. You need to have a tech look at it.
    If you think our goverment is screwed up. You haven't lived in another country.

The component you're highlighted is the inducer assembly and may or may not be the actual issue. Either way, there is a reason that the motor ran continuously. It should cycle only in conjunction with a call for heat in which case the burners should normally also be on as well as the room blower. You need to get a competent service tech out to address your issues.
    If YOU want change, YOU have to first change.

If you are waiting for the 'other guy' to change first, just remember, you're the 'other guy's' other guy. To continue to expect real change when you keep acting the same way as always, is folly. Won't happen. Real change will only happen when a majority of the people change the way they vote!

That is a Duo-Matic Olsen 90+ furnace. The combustion fan running continuously was a bad thing and would have been an easy inexpensive fix had you called an experienced tech. Bad news is that they have discontinued parts support for that particular model according to my wholesaler. Finding that combustion fan assembly is becoming difficult and quite expensive. Odds are pretty good that given the age of the unit and parts issues now or in the near future that you will be money ahead to upgrade to a new unit.
    A good HVAC tech knows how, an educated HVAC tech knows why!

DEM

rsmith46

This is the Ask Our Pro's forum. In order to post a response here, you must have verified qualifications and have been approved by the AOP Committee. You may ask a question by starting a new thread.

You can find the rules for posting and qualifications here.

This is your first warning. Additional infractions will result in infraction points and, ultimately, loss of posting privileges.

Question DETAILS

For the record the inducer assembly info:

Ametek Windjammer 116547-06
    60HZ
    115v, 1.45amps, 3350 RPM
    Thermally Protected
    Insulation System Class B 40C
    05 06 89 <- date?

I'm attempting to remove it from the furnace to have a look at it before calling in a pro. If you guys have any useful troubleshooting steps on the infinite running or getting this thing to start up I'm all ears.

I really would prefer a DIY solution. Can i purchase an alternative inducer assembly for my furnace? Are these standard, one size-fits all furnaces, or must i get the same make and model as the broken one?

Thanks
    Last edited by quantass; 01-16-2012 at 05:38 PM.

The component needs to be replaced!
    You will save a bunch of $ if you just call a Pro. The side effect is you will get heat in your house.....

by the way, really nice pic....!
    Never give up; Never surrender!

I really would prefer a DIY solution. Can i purchase an alternative inducer assembly for my furnace? Are these standard, one size-fits all furnaces, or must i get the same make and model as the broken one?

Thanks[/QUOTE]

I guess no one reads the site rules.

Quote Originally Posted by quantass View Post
    For the record the inducer assembly info:

Ametek Windjammer 116547-06
    60HZ
    115v, 1.45amps, 3350 RPM
    Thermally Protected
    Insulation System Class B 40C
    05 06 89 <- date?

I'm attempting to remove it from the furnace to have a look at it before calling in a pro. If you guys have any useful troubleshooting steps on the infinite running or getting this thing to start up I'm all ears.

Thanks

Crossing the line here. good advice, best your going to get has been given.

Quote Originally Posted by heaterman View Post
    That is a Duo-Matic Olsen 90+ furnace. The combustion fan running continuously was a bad thing and would have been an easy inexpensive fix had you called an experienced tech. Bad news is that they have discontinued parts support for that particular model according to my wholesaler. Finding that combustion fan assembly is becoming difficult and quite expensive. Odds are pretty good that given the age of the unit and parts issues now or in the near future that you will be money ahead to upgrade to a new unit.
    Just curious, but what would cause the inducer to run continously. I assume just a stuck contactor. If so, I agree, that would have been a whole lot cheaper replacing the inducer. At this point, you're getting into the territory of "how much more money do I throw at a old furnace before I bit the bullet and repalce it".

Cheap SPST square
    A good HVAC tech knows how, an educated HVAC tech knows why!

DEM