+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Don't mix oil with oxygen

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Post Likes

Don't mix oil with oxygen

Here is a little reminder for everyone about the dangers of oxygen. It's been 20 years sense I went to weilding school in the Army. They talked about the dangers then but I've never heard anything on the subject sense then.

Post Likes
    As I remember it... this is called 'spontanious combustion'... we learned to respect this when I was employed as an aircraft mechanic.

In a nutshell: The higher the O2 content (%) in the air surrounding a combustible material, the lower the temp at which it will combust. In PURE O2... oil and grease will ignite at room temp... NOT KIDDING.

We were VERY careful when we added O2 to a corp jet... one has to wipe the fittings with a clean rag (not even your hand)... to be SURE there was no oil or combustible material in the joint when topping off the O2 tank.

There was a case of a corp jet back in 1978 or 79 (I think it was a G2) which burned, due to O2 getting into grease in the nosewheelwell...where the O2 filling fitting is...
    GA-HVAC-Tech

Your comfort, Your way, Everyday!

GA's basic rules of home heating and AC upgrades:
    *Installation is more important than the brand of equipment
    *The duct system keeps the house comfortable; the equipment only heats and cools (and dehumidifies)
    *The value of comfort, over the long term; leave economic choices behind!
    Choose your contractor wisely!

Post Likes
    “If You Can Dodge A Wrench You Can Dodge A Ball”

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by itsiceman View Post
    It is really unwise to remove a valve from a cylinder while it's under 2000 PSI.

Post Likes
    Wow! That poor fellow's hand looks like a melted latex glove. He'll never be the same. Thanks for posting that pdf, Tiger.

Going to print it and hang it up on the wall at the shop for the guys as a grim reminder of what can happen with O2 and oil.

Post Likes
    Thanks for bringing It up again. I saw an employee huffing O2 strait off the bottle one day. He got a drug test and time off until the results where back. Failed barbiturates and fired. He had enough lotion on his face to burn down the shop.
    Never argue with a crazy man.

Post Likes
    We had a guy killed here maybe 15-20 years ago leak testing or blowing out a system with oxygen.

For years our shop stored all our oxygen bottles in a shed outside the shop....the shed also contained the 500 gallon oil tank where we poured our waste oil.

We had to keep the oxygen and acetelyne seperate and someone determined that it would be best to put the oxygen in the shed.

I made jokes about it for years.....but it was only about 2 years ago that they moved the bottles out of the shed.

Somehow I think it was arrogance that led to the decision to leave the bottles there for years..... After someone noticed them out there....me...a lowly employee... I can almost see the person in charge of that decision...saying... "How dare that hourly employee challenge or make fun of my decision to store that oxidizer in that shed containing combustible fuel"...... "Put more oxygen in there....spill some oil on the floor and crack open all bottles that are put in their refilling"..........lol

Even the redneck hayseed gases delivery guy never got the connection.....he would week after week....get the empties and replenish them with new bottles.....probably being carefull not to slip on the oil spilled on the floor......lol

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in