Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: heating problem

An hvac contractor installed a 5kw heat kit in my heat pump packaged unit. The heat pump works and the ac unit works. However, when I kick the heat to Emergency heat, the air doesnt seem to get hot or even warm. It comes out at about 71 degrees when the temp outside is about the same. The contractor told me that 5kw was not much and I wouldnt feel it unless it was cool outside. This doesnt set well with me. In heat pump mode I get heat, but in Emergency mode it doesnt get warm to me, but I do smell something burning, like a dryer element at first. He told me if I smell it its on. Any feed back??

Do you own a amp clamp? Do you know how to use one? Do you have temp sensor or thermometer? If you do what is the air temp return. And supply temp. Is the t-stat warming up when you place it in the heat emergency mode.

5 kw is on the light side for heat packages, but he is right, if you smell it, its on. Ask for a larger heat package, sometimes you need to pull a larger electrical circuit for it, but that may be the only way to get the E-Heat you want.

heat problem

I do have an amp clamp, and that was my thought too. I was going to see if it was on at the unit. Other than that its not heating up. Even my old unit had warmth coming out of the vents when in emergency heat. The second stage does kick on at the thermostat too. I just dont think its kicking on at the unit. Thermostat seems to be wired correctly too....

heat problem

yes he told me if I go to a 10 kw that I would have to pull a 60 amp line just for it. The problem is I have a 60 amp feeding two 30 amp breakers, thus the reason for only 5 kw.

Is it the same size HP, or did he up size it.

The new HP may be moving more air, so it doesn't come out as warm.

What temp do you leave your stat set to.

Contractor locator map

How-to-apply-for-Professional

How many times must one fix something before it is fixed?

Senior Tech Guest

I'm confused? Who installed this...really?

doityourselfer123

Ok I have a good one. I have a goodman 2.5 ton heat pump packaged unit. This unit is brand new. I added a 5kw heat strip to the unit on install. I have a 30 amp breaker for the heat pump itself, and a seperate 30 amp breaker for the heat strip. I have both wired from the breaker box on there seperate breakers. I have voltage from the unit hitting the power block on the heat strip. The instructions for the heat strip told me to remove the red jumper wire from the heat strip power block if I have voltage hitting the heat strip from the unit. I did this and lost voltage to one side of the heat strip but the other still shows 120v. All of this voltage is comeing from the unit power because I have the heat strip breaker off to prevent a short. Now..... the instructions told me to switch lines L1 and L2 on the unit power block and that this would put them in phase. This makes no since because they both have 120v on them ( L1 and L2 are the power cables coming from the breaker. Switching them does nothing. Can someone help me wire this heat strip correctly?????

heat problem

Yeah I never had a chance to respond to that because I was dumb founded about all the negative comments. I did do a lot of the work like tear out to save money. But a contractor friend of mine came over and helped me build a new trunk line and he installed the unit......

heat problem

Yes we went from a 2 ton to a 2.5 ton

Unfortunately, due to site rules we as members can not discuss technical issues with the general public.

Thank you for your cooperation.

[Edited by arpa on 03-14-2006 at 07:26 PM]

Did you ask your contractor friend what's wrong? He probably knows.
    If everything was always done "by the book"....the book would never change.

Get your friend back.

Your in over your head.
    Contractor locator map

How-to-apply-for-Professional

How many times must one fix something before it is fixed?

Re: heat problem

Originally posted by doityourselfer123
    Yes, we went from a 2 ton to a 2.5 ton
    Sq.Ft. of residence ?
    Location ?

5kW ( 17,000 BTu/hr) is likely more than sufficient in conjunction with a good 2.5-ton heat pump (perhaps, >19,000 BTU at > 17'F) for upto 1,200 sq. feet in most U.S. locations.

Is ~36,000 BTU/hr insufficient to heat house to >65'F?

Need a general Amp meter ...
    look at the utility rate meter for the overall house supply.

At least it should be "good enough" to determine circuit flow in response to:
    " The second stage does kick on at the thermostat too.
    I just dont think its kicking on at the unit."

If it is the end of Winter (< 20'F temps)
    (March 21 = Spring),
    Don't worry about it too much.
    Designer Dan
    It's Not Rocket Science, But It is SCIENCE with "Some Art". ___ ___ K EEP I T S IMPLE & S INCERE

Define the Building Envelope and Perform a Detailed Load Calc: It's ALL About Windows and Make-up Air Requirements. Know Your Equipment Capabilities

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast