+ Reply to Thread

Thread: glycol system

Post Likes

glycol system

Ran across a 6' hill phoenix seafood case that had a pump and water going to it. It had plastic hoses going into the evaporator coils. It had what appeared to be a condenser coil with a fan but no compressor maybe some kind heat exchanger. Can sombody explain how this works mechanically and the control stategy. There is a board with sensors and a timer ant t/stat There is also solenoids om the water lines.

Post Likes
    Sure it wasn't piped to a rack?

Post Likes
    I have seen single condensing units with glycol and their own heat exchanger, pump, reservoir, etc. to run a single case. Is this what you have? Or is it just one system on a Second Nature system for the entire store?

The one that I have worked runs a plate chiller case at The Cheesecake Factory restaurants.
    "Don't wish it were easier, wish you were better"

Post Likes
    Im gessing its comming from the rack I didnt see a compressor would there be a water pump at the case if its being pumped from the heat exchanger at the rack? Ill take pics! Bottom is working top is not

Post Likes
    What you probably have is a "Semi-Self Contained" case.

A lineset from the rack comes out to the case and does the refrigeration, but the control happens at the case.

http://www.hillphoenix.com/wp-conten..._.pdf?inline=1

I hope that link works.

Post Likes
    Thanks JP thanks exactly the case and setup! Figures I get this as my first call starting with this new company and we just took over the contract this weekend. First thing they said " We've been having problems with this case since it was installed" Sure does help to know what its suppose to do in order to figure out why it isnt doing it! Gess i'll have to read the manual!!!

These cases have pulse flow controlled
    independently through the top coil and the pans.
    When setting up the case for refrigeration treat
    the top coil and the chilled deck pans as if they
    were 2 separate temperature controlled circuits.
    Each circuit will use its own temperature sensor
    to cycle between the cut-in and cut-out values
    show on pages 26-27 by opening and closing
    the 2 flow control solenoids on the return side of
    the case piping station. The defrost for the 2 circuits
    must be synchronized. Timed-off defrost
    is all that is required. If warm fluid defrost is
    used on the top coil the pans must remain timed
    off defrost synchronized to the duration of the
    top coils.

Post Likes
    The PDF does not mention the controller at the case. It's name slips my mind but it controls all functions.
    We keep losing the glycol charge at 1 account with no external signs or staining. HP says to charge glycol to 30# case pump head. I'm wondering if it's leaking through the flat plate xchanger and into the refrig system, although it has been happening for months. I'd think something would show up.
    Just posting to get updates.

Post Likes
    Smilies there is a white plastic square tank at the case with glycol in it, is this were the glycol is put in? I found a timer that was smoking when I pulled it out the female plug-in was all burnt to hell! What purpose does this timer serve and could this be why the top was not getting temp? I thought the whole idea of deviating from DX systems to Glycol was in the name of lower costs e.g.; less copper and refrigerant. What purpose does this case serve to do either?

Post Likes
    Smilies

Check your pump gaskets. I had a b***h of an intermittent leak at one.

Took a few weeks to finally locate and fix

Also, you don't need to post to 'subscribe' to a thread. At the top of the thread, there is a tab called 'Thread tools' In there, you'll find an option to subscribe to a thread.

Nanotech,

The purpose of glycol has nothing to do with energy and everything to do with reducing refrigerant leaks.

The goal is ZERO fluorocarbon leaks and equal operating costs. If they save a few bucks, then it's a win-win.

Post Likes
    Oops, I missed the fact that you were getting no external signs of the leak.

Dumb question. Did you check the drain traps?

Post Likes
    Here's a short video with Rusty Walker from H/P which explains briefly about these CoolGenix cases:

http://hillphoenix.redvector.com/use...yTechTip10.mp4

This one deals with a common service problem (and shows the base pan cooling as well):

http://hillphoenix.redvector.com/use...TechTip07e.mp4

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in