Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Originally posted by mistercrusher
    you should be fine as long as you use the piston that comes with the condenser. you will still lose the 13 seer efficiency but will work ok.
    If the indoor unit is one that is rated for the new outdoor unit, it will not lose anything. This is why I stated that we don't have enough information to be making any decisions.
    Government is a disease...
    ...masquerading as its own cure…
    Ecclesiastes 10:2 NIV

Originally posted by duct dr
    From what I've been told you can't do that since you would not be meeting the minimum 13 SEER requirement. This whole minimum SEER upgrade is going to open up a truck load of problems.

By the crusher, if I remember right the new 13 SEER equipment requires TXV kits, not pistons, or fixed metering devices.
    And this is where I was referring to ducty being wrong. Since it is not government mandated that the indoor units even have to be replaced or that ARI matched equipment be installed as a system, there is no legal reason to not do this.

Next; there are ARI rated 15 SEER systems using piston metering. Also; piston metering is considered "fixed" metering.

Now I remember why I stayed away from this site for as long as I did. Person A asks a question, person B replies using the experience, training, and schooling he's received. Person C takes it upon himself to bash and insult person B because person B didn't word it the way person C wanted it. Even though persons B and C were both right.

Good Bye, and have a nice day.

[Edited by duct dr on 03-15-2006 at 11:07 PM]
    "If you can't fix it, don't break it."

Originally posted by duct dr
    Now I remember why I stayed away from this site for as long as I did. Person A asks a question, person B replies using the experience, training, and schooling he's received. Person C takes it upon himself to bash and insult person B because person B didn't word it the way person C wanted it. Even though persons B and C were both right.

Good Bye, and have a nice day.

[Edited by duct dr on 03-15-2006 at 11:07 PM]
    What would be nice is if you spent a little more time learning and a little less time spewing out incorrect information.

When I am wrong, I admit it. And when I don't know something, I wait for those who do know to post so I can learn.

I did take the time to show where the posts I desputed were not just worded differently but in fact were wrong.

Are you claiming that you were not wrong? Is there something I posted that is innacurate?

13 SEER to 12 SEER

Originally posted by cmorris
    Keep in mind that the Trane H/P has gone out. My question is putting a 13 seer goodman H/P to a 12 seer goodman A/H.
    Thanks,
    Clay
    cmorris I, like RoBoTeq, need more information. No valid determination can be made with what info you've provided.

Originally posted by RoBoTeq
    Originally posted by mistercrusher
    you tell him DR. i've always said " the man who calls another man dumb is generally dumb himself"
    I didn't think anyone was dumb...until now. I still have not seen anything correctly posted by dr. duct.
    I understood the question to be 12 vs 13 seer.They stoped making 12 seer 13 is the min..

I will have to get the evap mod #. He hadn't decided to do anything yet, probably gonna wait till it gets hot.

Look in the ratings. If the mfg didnt rate the old coil with the new system, its probably not a good match. That way, when you have issues with it not performing efficiently and reliably, you know why it wasnt rated.

BTW Robo, a TXV does more than allow for smaller coils than a piston, it also inherently protects the compressor by controling the superheat as the load changes. Something a piston cannot do. And... a piston costs a whole heck of alot less than a TXV does.

Talking robo is cool

I'll be curious to see what the model # of that airhandler is.
    If it is fairly new, it will be a piston change at most to get 12 seer or better efficiency.

BTW, Robotech is a decent, knowledgeable guy who is absolutely correct about everything he has posted on this thread. He's direct and calls a spade a spade and if you'll get to know him, he's quite funny and a very valuable resource on this site.
    How's that Robo?? Not bad, huh? I don't know what is "wrong" with me.

Okay RoBo, what exactly did I say that was wrong. Go back and read the first five words I said. Here, I'll save ya the trouble..."From what I've been told" meaning I received that information from someone else. Obviously I was TOLD wrong. Not everyone has a crystal clear understanding of the 13 SEER upgrade. Not everyone knows what a "piston" is which is why I also said fixed metering device, some techs call it a "flow rater". But I DO know that TXV's are better, more reliable, and less troublesome than pistons. Still don't understand how you can say that they save coil capacity, a 3 ton coil is a 3 ton coil whether it has a TXV or a piston. And they are the same size too, at least the ones I install are. Yes RoBo, I'm just a lowlife Installer, but I took the time to go to schools, get training, and obtain certifications.I'm the only NATE certified installer in my company, and I care about my job. So next time I give the wrong information, use a sharper knife to cut me up.
    "If you can't fix it, don't break it."

[QUOTE]Originally posted by docholiday
    [B]Look in the ratings. If the mfg didnt rate the old coil with the new system, its probably not a good match. That way, when you have issues with it not performing efficiently and reliably, you know why it wasnt rated.

BTW Robo, a TXV does more than allow for smaller coils than a piston, it also inherently protects the compressor by controling the superheat as the load changes. Something a piston cannot do. And... a piston costs a whole heck of alot less than a TXV does.

True, but it does allow for smaller coils. That 12 seer coil is a rated match, of that I'm sure.
    Oh yeah, and I've never had to remove a failed piston. Can't say that about TXV's though.

Originally posted by docholiday
    Look in the ratings. If the mfg didnt rate the old coil with the new system, its probably not a good match. That way, when you have issues with it not performing efficiently and reliably, you know why it wasnt rated.

Doc, I think you know that I know that a TXV is more beneficial then just to keep coil sizes down. I was simply reacting to slurs made about using piston metering being only to be cheap.

The reason for Goodman using piston metering as much as they can get away with goes along with the basic policies of Goodman to keep the equipment as simple as possible using the least amount of components that will effectively get the job done.

There are several reasons that I prefer TXV metering in specific situations, but I cannot argue with the rationale that Goodman has put forth for using piston metering.

Re: robo is cool

Originally posted by chillbilly
    I'll be curious to see what the model # of that airhandler is.
    If it is fairly new, it will be a piston change at most to get 12 seer or better efficiency.

BTW, Robotech is a decent, knowledgeable guy who is absolutely correct about everything he has posted on this thread. He's direct and calls a spade a spade and if you'll get to know him, he's quite funny and a very valuable resource on this site.
    How's that Robo?? Not bad, huh? I don't know what is "wrong" with me.
    I want you to write my eulogy and my tombstone

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast