Confused

I am replacing the whole systems up and down stairs 2000 sq.ft.house. I am going with reliable brand old r-22 freon no bell and whistle unless some here talks me in it.

I am located central in NC. I have decided on 2 ton Trane 13 seer unit with 80% efficiency gas furnace for upstairs and a 2-ton gas pack pack for downstairs 13 seer 80% efficiency heat. I am also replacing all ductwork(flex)

1. What else do I need other than this to have a high efficiency system that will not take a decade to pay for itself? I think ishould tell a huge difference in new ones because old ones are 19 yrs. old, and 1 is beyond repair.

2. How important is it to have a 2 stage gas furnace
    3. An air cleaner(2) is tempting but isn't filter at house good enough, all air cleaner will do is create anothe rfilter to change right? Do they really work ? can you tell a difference? Do you put one in at both up and down stairs?

3. variable speed fan why? I've heard repalcement is very expensive? Is single speed that noisy?

If these bells and whistles will make a really noticable difference in air quality then would someone please state their case.

Thanks! This is a great site for novice homeowner who once in a blue moon wants HVAC advice!!!

Sounds like you have made some pretty good choices so far. Will you be getting new supply air boxes and adjustable curved blade diffusers with that flex duct system? If not how will they be sealing the old ones?
    "And remember my sentimental friend......that a heart is not judged by how much you love, but by how much you are loved by others" - Wizard of Oz.

i would use the 2 stage variable speed furnace and would also use a xl19i, or xl16i. these are two speed air conditioners and remove up to 50% more humidity than single speed units. i live in PA and every customer that gets over the price and buys are extremely happy. and i wouldn't use anything less than a media filtration system. what people don't understand about filters is, what passes through the filter can accumulate on evap coil and is expensive to clean.
    the variable speed could pay for it self in 5 years from electrical savings alone. and trane is now offering 10 year parts and labor warranty here, on high end equipment, should be offered there too. ask your dealer.

if no other bells and whistles at least do media filters on both units.

Hmm Why Gas?

Originally posted by stevew1
    I am replacing the whole systems up and down stairs 2000 sq.ft.house. I am going with reliable brand old r-22 freon no bell and whistle unless some here talks me in it.

I am located central in NC. I have decided on 2 ton Trane 13 seer unit with 80% efficiency gas furnace for upstairs and a 2-ton gas pack pack for downstairs 13 seer 80% efficiency heat. I am also replacing all ductwork(flex)

1. What else do I need other than this to have a high efficiency system that will not take a decade to pay for itself?
    Use two small Heat Pumps in central N.C.
    Designer Dan
    It's Not Rocket Science, But It is SCIENCE with "Some Art". ___ ___ K EEP I T S IMPLE & S INCERE

Define the Building Envelope and Perform a Detailed Load Calc: It's ALL About Windows and Make-up Air Requirements. Know Your Equipment Capabilities

Ditto on the heat pumps!!!

agree with the heat pumps

Replacing units of that age with new 80% units, you are likely to see little or no decrease in your heating cost.

So add my voice to the chorus... in the southeast, you want heat pumps or at least dual fuel. The heating costs will be much lower than what you'll pay to keep heating exclusively with gas.

Energy Savings / Quietness options

ENERGY PAYBACK/INVESTMENT

The free (government) HVAC investor software (search within http://www.energystar.gov) does an excellent job of calculating operating costs over YOUR estimate of the furnace, AC, & heatpump lifespan. Click the (utility, electric), (utility, gas), (options, heating regions) to adapt to your location. Of course, update the furnace/AC size BTU and dealer installed costs as needed. I found it better running the AC calc, write down the results (will it print them?) then redo for heat (select "No upgrade" pulldown option for whichever analysis you are NOT doing). This would let you re-run comparisons for heat pump versus gas. It even lets you compare costs of two AC / furnace / heat pump options of different SEER / AFUE/ HSPF. Better than taking a salesperson's time to calculate.

VARIABLE SPEED (VS)

I was considering a Trane XB80 versus XB90 (both are 1 stage heat, 1 speed blower) furnace/air handler. The saleslady said the variable speed fan uses 1/5th electricity & suggested the XV80 as a compromise. I bought based on financial savings of the VS. (Later, I found out the XV ignitor is higher quality than the XB builder grade models too). Heat pumps require the blower to run a lot and VS would be recommended. My personal advantage for VS was no more duct hammering (clunk when fan goes on/off). The fan is quieter than my 1984 Amana 1 speed gas furnace or my Mom's 2002 1 speed furnace.

HOWEVER, when I lived in a 1984 house that had Flex Duct, the 1 speed fan seemed as quiet as my 2004 VS blower furnace installed to steel ducts. My new 60,000 btu furnace was a rush purchase. The previous furnace was 75,000 btu. As a result, my furnace is undersized and runs a LOT in the 2nd stage / full speed mode (cold in Denver - I should have bought 90afue). It is very quiet though. Is it possible to get a Variable Speed blower without 2 stage heat? Two stage is very useful if your HVAC Calc software (they offer a trial version) sizing is borderline and you have to decide whether to buy a larger furnace than you really need. 2 stage does NOT save on energy costs.

HEAT PUMP

A heat pump is very economical, especially in mild climates where electric rates are reasonable. (HVAC investor will calculate your savings for you). As I stated on another post, I lived in a house in Virginia that had a new Carrier heat pump in 1984. The compressor failed by 1989. I have read other posts on HVAC Talk mentioning GE Weathertron Heat Pumps (bought out by Trane) lasting 20 years. I don't know if this is typical. One of my personal fears is equipment breakdown/replacement cost with heat pumps. This could theoretically cancel out energy savings versus gas. A lot of people don't like the cooler output temps of the heat pump in the winter (I didn't).

FILTERS

There are a lot of professional posts on HVAC Talk that warn about furnace damage from 3M Filtrete filters that restrict the airflow and can damage a furnace.
    I have a friend who uses the standalone electrostatic units with excellent results. Maybe consider a high performance vacuum cleaner like Miele. Of course, if you could afford a central furnace filter you could add it later?

R22

There a few of posts on HVAC Talk mentioning the newness/ unfamiliarity/ increased skill of the installer needed with R410a equipment. My future personal debate will be do I want a builder grade unit AC versus better. (Not much AC use in Colorado).

Just curious - what made you decide to replace with flex duct (because it's insulated)?