Hey guys,I need a little help on this one. Has to do with matching 13 seer heat pump to 12 seer air handler.

From the begining. Guy's wife works as a property manager
    mananging apartments. They replaced a TRANE 12 seer heat pump because of a short cycling compressor. He had his uncle who works in the HVAC field and told him there was nothing wrong with the equipment so his wife was able to get the unit at no charge. His uncle was going to install it in ( my buddy's house) but the uncle kept putting it off so He ask if I could help him out. The uncle also had purchased a Goodman 12 seer a/h for this equipment.

After getting the story on this unit I told him I would by-pass the fore-comming headaches and buy a matching h/p to go with the a/h he had bought. He said since he had both pieces of equipment he would put them in and if it went bad he would change it then. Being my pal, I said I would do what ever he wanted to do.

Once the duct work and a/h was in, line set run began to set the h/p. The system had been pumped done valves cut off and the ref. lines cut and left open. I cleaned out the openings as best I could blew nitrogen through the system before brazing line set in place. Pressure tested with nitrogen pulled deep deep vacuum and charged system.

Worked fine for a day, compressor locked up, electricaly checked out fine replaced potential relay and installed hard start with no luck.

Now this is the real question. What will be the outcome by installing a 13 seer h/p to a 12 seer a/h? I have been told it can be done and the only problem with this type of system will be not having a 13 seer rating.

H/P and a/h is 4 ton plenty of heat and cooling for this house. What about dropping down to 3 or 3.5 ton h/p?

Keep in mind this guy is going to keep the new a/h and just buy new h/p.

Thanks guys,

ans please no goodman bashing and for what its worth, I think the 13 seer standard is just government propogandy

cmorris

are you using a trane 13 seer hp with a goodman 12 seer airhandler? if so, by doing this you will lose the 13 seer efficiency. but you should install a txv and discard the piston that comes with the 12 seer goodman. trane is now requiring a txv. or you could be changing compressor in a few years

you can use a 3.5 hp with 4 ton air handler, but not recommended it is better to match sizes. if you do this you definatly need to install a txv

Why don't you just type the model numbers in the ARI website and see if they are a listed match? That way you don't need to worry about who is telling you this won't work with that syndrome.
    "And remember my sentimental friend......that a heart is not judged by how much you love, but by how much you are loved by others" - Wizard of Oz.

I have no idea what mistercrusher is trying to state, but much of it is not accurate.

Simply put; don't mismatch system components...end of story. No one can answer your question accurately because it should not be done.

There is no such thing as a 12 SEER air handler. There is nothing in an air handler that would determine efficiency or capacity until it is rated as such with specific outdoor units.

TXV metering has nothing to do with any of this. Proper metering can be done with fixed metering just as well as with TXV. However; if you are just putting different brands together, the metering is a crap shoot no matter what you do.
    Government is a disease...
    ...masquerading as its own cure…
    Ecclesiastes 10:2 NIV

First, A/H have no seer rating. The system / condenser has a seer rating.

With York, if you follow their engineering manual, you can put in a 12 SEER condenser with a perticular blower, coil and TXV or Orifice and squeeze out 12.5-13.5 SEER. But crossing brands is like trying to mate a rattlesnake with a mouse. It's not going to work.

Second , throwing parts from one manufacture with another is bad ju-ju.

Some companies may void any warranty if you mishmash systems together.

You're looking to save a few hundred bucks by not getting the right air handler or coil for that system that may cost you thousands in the long run.

I never want to understand the reason behind getting something for free and then spend thousands to get it to work. No logic behind that.

You can do what you want and it might work, but it will never be right.

Take the coil number and find what H/P it crosses with and that is the system you need to purchase. Other than that, scrap the coil for beer money and start over again.
    Happiness is the only good. The time to be happy is now. The place to be happy is here. The way to be happy is to make others so.
    -Robert Green Ingersoll

Originally posted by cmorris
    Hey guys,I need a little help on this one. Has to do with matching 13 seer heat pump to 12 seer air handler.

mananging apartments. They replaced a TRANE 12 seer heat pump because of a short cycling compressor. He had his uncle who works in the HVAC field and told him there was nothing wrong with the equipment so his wife was able to get the unit at no charge. His uncle was going to install it in ( my buddy's house) but the uncle kept putting it off so He ask if I could help him out. The uncle also had purchased a Goodman 12 seer a/h for this equipment.

After getting the story on this unit I told him I would by-pass the fore-comming headaches and buy a matching h/p to go with the a/h he had bought. He said since he had both pieces of equipment he would put them in and if it went bad he would change it then. Being my pal, I said I would do what ever he wanted to do. >I see alot of long winded answers but none are saying anything about your compressor locking up!Something has went wrong some ware maybe you had a restriction from crap in the lines?

Once the duct work and a/h was in, line set run began to set the h/p. The system had been pumped done valves cut off and the ref. lines cut and left open. I cleaned out the openings as best I could blew nitrogen through the system before brazing line set in place. Pressure tested with nitrogen pulled deep deep vacuum and charged system.

Worked fine for a day, compressor locked up, electricaly checked out fine replaced potential relay and installed hard start with no luck.

Now this is the real question. What will be the outcome by installing a 13 seer h/p to a 12 seer a/h? I have been told it can be done and the only problem with this type of system will be not having a 13 seer rating.

H/P and a/h is 4 ton plenty of heat and cooling for this house. What about dropping down to 3 or 3.5 ton h/p?

Thanks guys,

ans please no goodman bashing and for what its worth, I think the 13 seer standard is just government propogandy

cmorris

Originally posted by tony82164
    Originally posted by cmorris

After getting the story on this unit I told him I would by-pass the fore-comming headaches and buy a matching h/p to go with the a/h he had bought. He said since he had both pieces of equipment he would put them in and if it went bad he would change it then. Being my pal, I said I would do what ever he wanted to do. >I see alot of long winded answers but none are saying anything about your compressor locking up!Something has went wrong some ware maybe you had a restriction from crap in the lines?

Thanks guys,

cmorris
    I would go with a system that matches or you may have a problem on your hands and 12 seer is no longer made!!!!!!!