Hey everyone,
    I have heard good things about HVAC and am currently considering it as a career. I just turned 18, and in my last year of school. I am aspiring to be a firefighter by the time im 26, leaving me with about 8 years of full time HVAC experience, then hoping to use my shift work as a fireman to do part time side-jobs. I have a few questions for those more experienced:
    Where are you from, how long have you been doing it, and how much do you make:
    Is HVAC a good career choice for what i hope to do?:
    Is it a job good for doing smaller side jobs, easy accesibilty to side-jobs, and good pay?:

Thank you for your time

Cya

well ask yourself a few questions--- do you like crawling around in attics at 150 degrees or do you like crawling underneathe old houses in the dead of winter. Do you like opening up a condenser unit only to find a wasp nest and about 30 angry wasp coming at ya , or dealing with a home owner who knows more than you and nothing you do is going to satisfy them unless you do it for free. or wading through 2 foot of snow to get to a heat pump at 20 below zero. Just FEW things to consider.
    i CAN spell i just cant type

Please - the last thing this profession needs is another fireman using this as a side job.
    Whoa Maynard - that's not how it works.

if you can do that attic job with it 150 degrees and fighting winter then that will prepare you for firefighting. I have been at it for 26 years and havent been in a attic or crawspace in 18 years, only because I am doing industrial hvac. with little over time last year I made over 87k. most hvac shop will not allow sidejobs and if you do sidejobs you better be insured and licensed.

Originally posted by coolmist
    Please - the last thing this profession needs is another fireman using this as a side job.
    How true!!
    "Politicians are the lowest form of life on Earth. Liberal Democrats are the lowest form of politician"

- General George S. Patton

hmm thanks guys
    you all gave me tips and advice, but no direct answers.
    what are u opinions on the Qs i asked? what do u think is best for my situation?

Originally posted by je61
    hmm thanks guys
    what are u opinions on the Qs i asked? what do u think is best for my situation?
    why dont you go to law school? I heard lawyers make a lot of money.

Lightbulb Gett'r Done !

I have been doing this for 27+ years and you will, begin to install ductwork, then move to service, and long days weekends and late nites.

It gets cold when your working on heat pumps that the defrost cycle isn't working, and cleaning a horizontal coil in an attic in 130* is really hard sometimes.
    The pay will come with how much you learn and how long you can stand the work.

Good Luck!

<<<Aircooled>>>
    "Everyday above ground, is a good day".
    "But everyday that you have made a difference in someones life, may insure you stay above ground a little longer".<aircooled>

Originally posted by hvacpope
    Originally posted by je61
    hmm thanks guys
    why dont you go to law school? I heard lawyers make a lot of money.
    funnnny