Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

how to horizontally vent a natural draft water heater in pvc

I submit for your viewing pleasure a new method for venting your natural draft water heater in 2" pvc. Don't worry about your slope because after a while it will create its own slope back to the water heater.

Also feel free to tie your vent for your 90+ efficient furnace into the vent stack for the sewer line. Also done by the same builder on the same house.

for real? holy sh**

Yep. Did a late install last night, did the furnace, red tagged and shut down the water heater, then went back today and did a fan assisted horizontal vent kit for the water heater. You could see the exhaust dumping out from the draft hood. The sad thing was for some reason the house was built like that too in the 70's(had absolutely no main stack whatsoevs,er anywhere). And that's a 3-4 yr old water heater. And there were other company stickers all over the place.

probably was electric and someone changed it, if no proper venting exists.

I do not see a unit being improper for that long vented in PVC, maybe if it was metal.
    The Food Stamp Program, administered by the U.S. Department of Agriculture, is proud to be distributing the greatest amount of free meals and stamps EVER.
    Meanwhile, the National Park Service, administered by the U.S. Department of the Interior, asks us to "Please Do Not Feed the Animals". Their stated reason for this policy "... the animals become dependent on handouts and will not learn to take care of themselves."
    from an excerpt by Paul Jacob in Sun City, AZ

Last week I found a power vent WH vented in b-vent 40' horizontally instead of in PVC. HO didn't seem nearly as worried as I was.

Quote Originally Posted by thermopan View Post
    Also feel free to tie your vent for your 90+ efficient furnace into the vent stack for the sewer line. Also done by the same builder on the same house.
    Think about it though, it's its own condensate drain!
    Every customer you take for granted today will be someone else's tomorrow.

Wow.
    That exact thing came up today while I was talking to a plumber on a job.
    He blamed it on Home depot. Home owners will have a power vent go bad, go to home depot, get a "water heater", pay for the install, "pros" come out and put in an natural draft.
    "Better tell the sandman to stay away, because we're gonna be workin on this one all night."

"Dude, you need more than 2 wires to a condenser to run a 2 stage heatpump."

"Just get it done son."

Dad adjusted

By "Horizontal Vent Kit" I assume you mean a power vent on the side of the house? I mean, that's the only acceptable means of venting a Category I appliance, absent a chimney. At least the codes we use say that.

Nuh uh
    You sure are cocky for a starving pilgrim.

Quote Originally Posted by hvacvegas View Post
    Wow.
    That exact thing came up today while I was talking to a plumber on a job.
    He blamed it on Home depot. Home owners will have a power vent go bad, go to home depot, get a "water heater", pay for the install, "pros" come out and put in an natural draft.
    Somehow, I find it hard to believe that a big box installer would install a job like this. Maybe use those flexible water supply lines... but completely mess up venting requirements (natural draft WH hooked to PVC)???

A homeowner or hack handyman, sure.

Question curious

Can you furnish the model WH, the model horizonal vent kit and clarify what material you used for the 'corrected' venting?
    TIA

Quote Originally Posted by hearthman View Post
    Can you furnish the model WH, the model horizonal vent kit and clarify what material you used for the 'corrected' venting?
    TIA
    Dont do it, its a trap
    You sure are cocky for a starving pilgrim.

I can not beleive my eyes that is such a serious sitution. The homeowners are lucky to be around and also that there house did not catch fire.
    If you can not do it right, Why even do it at all?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast