Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Carrier Techs

Post Likes
    When "ONCALL" we get paid 9 hours for the week (travel time). On the other side of the coin we have "STANDBY" which we don't get paid for, other than when we go out on the calls. Its rare when I have to go out except for some of the national accounts.

Sorry to hear that other branches are slow. Plenty of work in the north east though. Been doing lots of 30RB, 30RAN, 19XRV, and roof top start ups lately.

Anyone see the new "Thunderbolt?" screw chillers yet? Interesting design, compressors slide out for replacements.

...Ron

Roof Rat

Post Likes
    Getting paid 1hr Mon-Fri and 2hrs Sat-Sun for on call, same as for back up + time on actual calls ( sat - sun 8 hrs x 1 1/2 regardles time on the job).Didn't hear anything about canceling of "on-call". We never had on call duty until couple years ago when we start picking up a lot of retail accounts.

Post Likes

Stand-By Pay

To All CCS employees, In the National Agreement it spells out that if there is no local agreement regarding stand-by pay then the one spelled out that the national agreement will be observed. I get 1 hour straight time M-F and 1 hour overtime on S-S. If they tried to take that away... fine i would just put my phone into sleep mode during non-working hours. That would get there attention the first time a hospital went down and we all were fishing!

Post Likes
    It is really simple and i dont know why some of the ccs offices are having trouble. If you read the contract that carrier and the ua BOTH signed it states that where there is no DEFINED on call agreement, at the local level, then the national contract shall be enforced. It states that 1 hour of straight time M-F shall be paid regardless of wether or not a call is taken., and 1 1/2 overtime on S-S. I would hope that other CCS office would enforce this ao ALL dont sufer. Where I work WE definately get this COMPENSATION for our time.

Post Likes
    i need to get my local union to get a copy of the national contract and read it and then go to my branch. the problem is we go through branch managers and upper managers who dont know what they can or cant do. the union needs to be more involved and so do the tech's as far as what is in the contract.

Post Likes
    Originally posted by freonrick
    i need to get my local union to get a copy of the national contract and read it and then go to my branch. the problem is we go through branch managers and upper managers who dont know what they can or cant do. the union needs to be more involved and so do the tech's as far as what is in the contract.
    Instead of asking your branch to get the information you should call the hall yourself and have them send the national contract to you. They are there to help you. Remember that the branch and the union are two different agencies.

...Ron
    Roof Rat

Post Likes
    Anybody who would like a copy of the National Agreement that Carrier signed just needs to get me a fax number and i will only be too happy to help.

Post Likes
    It's hard to believe what has happened to Carrier Service over the last twenty-five years. Management screws up and it the Tech's who pay the price. No one else does!

Post Likes
    It's not just Carrier that's screwed up,remember it's all the same, just a different uniform!

Post Likes

Hmm female supervisors

do all the offices of you Carrier guys have them running the different levels unitary,chillers,abs?
    "when in doubt...jump it out" http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U1qEZHhJubY

Post Likes

Re: female supervisors

Originally posted by maxster
    do all the offices of you Carrier guys have them running the different levels unitary,chillers,abs?
    Our branch is a mixed bunch. Some work on absorbers/centrifugals, some centrifugals/screws/unitary, some just about everything that is thrown at them. It all depends on what knowledge each tech has.

...Ron
    Roof Rat

Post Likes
    what would a good teardown/turbine tech make say on the average with Carrier

Post Likes
    what would a good teardown/turbine tech make say on the average with Carrier
    The same as the other techs in the branch. Pay is dependant on the area/local you are in. Here in N.Y. in my local its a little bit above $30 per hr. I think that we are still looking for a well rounded tech and possibly an absorber mechanic. Shoot me an e-mail if interested and I'll give you the number to call. Our service area is The Bronx, Westchester, Putnam, Dutchess, Columbia, Ulster, Sullivan, Orange, Rockland Counties, and parts of Connecticut.

...Ron
    Roof Rat

Post Likes
    that must be Carrier limits...scale down here is $29.70 with the 638B metal trades with Turbine techs doing the hi-30s even into the 40s for Manhattan work..what is going on with Carrier ,where is your offices located for that area.thanks

Post Likes
    When I worked for the big " C " (11yrs) they paid local scale and some got over scale, only two dollars. I know they now give some guys foreman pay ( 5% over j-man ). I'm in nor cal and I think j-man is around $42ish. York and Trane pay scale in our area. Some at Trane are "area foreman" and get the extra 5%. York/jci do not pay over and they have some great techs.
    I must of been in a good group of guys while in union school because all but one guy is a foreman or higher. My point is... I think it depends on your area and the local office. Carrier,Trane and york are all union in my location. They make the min scale or more,
    non-union makes around two $ less and they don't do chillers.
    note: nothing bad about non union, I was for 3yrs.
    when they got a raise we got one.

Post Likes
    never had an on call job I couldnt talk the customer out of.....but if I do go, its at my liesure and comfort. Plus I bill my company from the time the pager goes off until I finish dragging my feet. Used to work for carrier co, $50 per week for on call service. Can't buy dinner for 2 with that.....

Post Likes
    that must be Carrier limits...scale down here is $29.70 with the 638B metal trades with Turbine techs doing the hi-30s even into the 40s for Manhattan work..what is going on with Carrier ,where is your offices located for that area.thanks
    The office is located right at the top of Rt. 684, smack dab in the middle of it all. Were on about the same level as you LU638 guys, just slightly different ways that they split the moneys. Local 21 is my local, I think the only money differences that stand out between you and me would be the vacation set up. You get a couple of weeks paid and I get a check that is built up over the year. The A fitters make the better pay scale just like yours.

...Ron
    Roof Rat

Post Likes
    In the Carolina area Local 421: 1 hr straight pay each weekday & 2 hr straight pay each day of the weekend or holiday. If you go out on a call you lose the time.
    However at Carrier the office people are paid to be "on call" to call us techs during the week. The techs are "on call" Fri, Sat, & Sun. We are also told to write it up as "Travel". Travel time does not count as work hours for health/wealfare or pension.
    Refer all arguments to the wife, she's better at it.
    www.fairtax.org

Post Likes
    hey bud i know the drill im in chgo local 597 we get the same deal it sucks and i never complain we might lose with no calls but when i have to go on a call it gets evened out heres a little tip, go to your call like a lion , but leave like a mouse , i love call duty ,try it bud ,it works for me and im old good luck

Post Likes
    9 hrs travel plus the overtime if we get calls.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in