Thread: Seeking advice on hybrid split system

Post Likes

Thanks for the help to questions on my post last week.

I'm in Atlanta; replacing two split systems (1st & 2nd floors). I'm trying to have job started next week.

I wanted to go with Carrier Infinity 38YDB037 and 58CVA furn.(80%). Thanks to you, I learned 38YDB037 has a 2-stage recip compr made by Bristol ST. Are these compressors reliable?

Are there some Carrier coils to stay away from? Which made in Mexico had issues?

Carrier/Bryant do not seem to have a 2-stage scroll yet. I've read good things on Copeland 2-stage scroll, ultratech. Which HVAC mnfrs have the ultratech available now?

Does the Trane XL16i have a 2-stage scroll?
    Is Trane TUD100R9V furnace a good match to 4TWX6036A?
    Where can I find the product data and SEER/HSPF/EER combination ratings for the XL16i ?

Appreciate your advice/help, AAR

Post Likes
    Originally posted by aar
    1. Does the Trane XL16i have a 2-stage scroll?
    2. Is Trane TUD100R9V furnace a good match to 4TWX6036A?
    3. Where can I find the product data and SEER/HSPF/EER combination ratings for the XL16i ?
    1. Yes

2. Why?
    You shouldn't need a furnace in ATL.

3. Dealer or list your e-mail address IN your Profile.

Designer Dan __ It's Not Rocket Science, But It is SCIENCE with Some Art. _ _ KEEP IT SIMPLE & SINCERE ___ __ www.mysimplifiedhvac.com ___ __ Define the Building Envelope & Perform a Detailed Load Calc: It's ALL About Windows & Make-up Air Requirements. Know Your Equipment Capabilities

Post Likes
    Originally posted by dan sw fl
    Originally posted by aar
    1. Does the Trane XL16i have a 2-stage scroll?
    2. Is Trane TUD100R9V furnace a good match to 4TWX6036A?
    3. Where can I find the product data and SEER/HSPF/EER combination ratings for the XL16i ?
    1. Yes

2. Why?
    You shouldn't need a furnace in ATL.

3. Dealer or list your e-mail address IN your Profile.

No e-mail addresses in posts

Please do NOT include your e-mail address in your posts.

There are automatic programs called "bots" that will tear through all of our posts if there are e-mail addresses. They gather them for the spammers, but, like the spammers, they have no consideration and can overload our server making it unavailable to legitimate users.
    Designer Dan __ It's Not Rocket Science, But It is SCIENCE with Some Art. _ _ KEEP IT SIMPLE & SINCERE ___ __ www.mysimplifiedhvac.com ___ __ Define the Building Envelope & Perform a Detailed Load Calc: It's ALL About Windows & Make-up Air Requirements. Know Your Equipment Capabilities

Post Likes
    Nobody has any control to compete with the Carrier infinity including trane it is called a user interface it with the installation you are considering you will actually have 4 dedicated CPU's talking to you. The Brisol duel capacity compressor has been very reliable.
    Experiance is learning what doesn't work.

Post Likes
    Thanks for the feedback. I found a XL16i product spec, 2005 version.

I now have a gas furnace so rather than go HP/air handler, I want to keep flexibility of gas/electric for future. That is one nice thing I understood about the Infinity control: I could set the the temperature threshold between all elect and elect with gas help (rather than heat strips help) and thrshold to all gas.

Thanks, AAR

Post Likes
    Pop, Thank you.

I apprciate others owners and professionals's comments on reliability of 38YDB037's history and anything related to 2-stage recip compressor made by Bristol ST.

Dash? BaldLoonie? Jrbenny? Others? I appreciate 1 minute of your comments ... trying to have job start by end of week.

Thanks, AAR

Office and warehouse in both Crystal River & New Port Richey ,FL
    Post Likes
    We have found the two stage Bristol to be very reliable,along with the Infinty Control.

The Control provides great comfort,is easy to install,and most important it's easy for the homeowner to use.

Post Likes
    Carrier beats Trane on controls which Hotlanta could use. The Infinity control best handles the 2 stage heat pump plus the 2 stage backup and the variable speed blower.

From what I hear, the Trane system doesn't work well with the XL16i yet. On low, the 16i runs at 67% while the blower runs at 80% meaning less humidity control. And the Infinity has Trane beat on humidity control anyway.

As far as I know, all Carrier indoor coils are Mexican and in our experience leak more frequently than Trane. Trane, btw, just switch to all aluminum on their high end coils.

You are getting a long extended warranty with any system, right?

Post Likes

38YDB037 may not work for me!

38YDB037 may not work for me!

My existing liquid/vapor lines thru int'r wall (bsmt to attic) are tight. I now have 3/8" & 3/4". Swapping lines is not possible. Would need to route lines elsewhere & incur extra cost. I'm advised to reuse existing lines. They'll be cleaned out for R-410.

The 38YDB037 calls for both lines 3/4", correct?

Trane XL16i is spec'd 3/8" & 3/4" for 80 ft. Now seems a good choice. Or Carrier Perfmce (38YXA036 1-stage Copeland comp) also uses same lines size.

Thanks, AAR

Post Likes

Re: 38YDB037 may not work for me!

Originally posted by aar
    The 38YDB037 calls for both lines 3/4", correct?
    Incorrect. 3/8 and 7/8. 38YDB036 requires 3/8 and 3/4.

Either Trane or Carrier will be fine. I have a Trane dual fuel in my home -- XL1800 and XV80. Building a house that will have a 38YDB036 and FE w/ zoning.

I use Carrier because I can get it cheap. I'd use Trane if I worked there. Both MFG make a quality product.

As always stated, the contractor is the biggest factor in your decision. Use a contractor that is recommended by friends and you have seen their work.

Post Likes
    jrbenny, thank you.

You're right - I know see product data meant a 3/8" liquid line across whole row for all 38YDB units.

I'll now look at 38YDB036.

Thanks, AAR

Post Likes
    jrbenny,

what coil and furnace do you recommend for 38YDB036?

Thanks, AAR

Post Likes
    CVA or MVB.

The coil selection is completely dependent upon the load calculation results. Different coils will have different sensible heat ratios. I recommend an ARI selection that matches the load calc. Your contractor should be capable of making the proper selection.

The home I'm building has a load that matched best to the ydb036 and a fe-006. People that don't look at product data would tell you that a 3-ton unit shouldn't be matched to a "5-ton" coil. However, the '3-ton' fan coil didn't give the the SHR that matched my load.

Post Likes
    Use the furnace size that suits your application- in size and efficiency. That will probably be a CVA; the extra cost of a condensing furnace like the MVB doesn't make sense with a hybrid system in Atlanta, where >90% of the heating will be done by the heat pump. No sense in paying lots extra to get 14% better efficiency on that last 10% of your heat that will end up coming from the furnace. That would be especially true on a second floor, where you won't need that much heat anyway.

The correct size of the furnaces should be determined by Manual J. As for which coils to use, that is largely determined by which furnace you use and whether it's a vertical or horizontal application. Only once you have those variables pinned down do we even know what possibilities there are.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in