Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 13 of 35
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    where the beer flows like wine
    Posts
    2,871

    Pics of an old rack

    In the way to service another piece of equipment came across this old rack with belt driven compressors, wonder what are the cams use for??











  2. #2
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    California
    Posts
    2,066
    Quote Originally Posted by hvacpope View Post
    wonder what are the cams use for??
    That looks like some good times could be had on that thing.

    those 'cams' in picture 2 are most likely the old defrost controls before they updated to relay boards.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Palmdale ca with my brothers
    Posts
    44
    In my 10 years IV never worked on a belt driven or tandem compressor. I guess living in the OC is a good thing!

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Western PA
    Posts
    25,758
    I got to add oil to a belt drive compressor once......


    I've worked on a couple of tandems. Both in AC applications.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    California
    Posts
    2,066
    Quote Originally Posted by Riverguy553 View Post
    In my 10 years IV never worked on a belt driven or tandem compressor. I guess living in the OC is a good thing!
    yea OC is too newly developed. bring yer ass into LA

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Palmdale ca with my brothers
    Posts
    44
    Nope I only go to LA for a store survey once in a great while. If it's west of the 605 I'd rather go home.... My office knows to send me to palm desert rather then LA or the valley....

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Jul 2000
    Location
    Guayaquil EC
    Posts
    10,421
    Pic #2 shows a couple of Paragon defrost timers. These were pretty much the standard rack defrost controller of the day from the 1970s to the mid 1980s. They're still available from Paragon if you need replacement modules or drive motors.

    http://www.uni-line.com/modules/cata...e&prodID=65276

    Pic #5 show the manufacturer as Triton. They were a small, custom rack builder on Long Island who specialized in those belt-drive systems. That rack must have been built around 1985 or so...as a guess.

    They did a nice job from what I saw back then, but they went out not long after because of the competition in the Atlanta area from Phoenix, Margeaux and the new custom rack shops from Hussmann, Warren, etc.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    where the beer flows like wine
    Posts
    2,871
    Quote Originally Posted by icemeister View Post
    Pic #2 shows a couple of Paragon defrost timers. These were pretty much the standard rack defrost controller of the day from the 1970s to the mid 1980s. They're still available from Paragon if you need replacement modules or drive motors.

    http://www.uni-line.com/modules/cata...e&prodID=65276

    Pic #5 show the manufacturer as Triton. They were a small, custom rack builder on Long Island who specialized in those belt-drive systems. That rack must have been built around 1985 or so...as a guess.

    They did a nice job from what I saw back then, but they went out not long after because of the competition in the Atlanta area from Phoenix, Margeaux and the new custom rack shops from Hussmann, Warren, etc.
    its unbelievable how much you know about all that stuff, you should write a book about supermarkets and refrigeration in general, for real.

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    las vegas
    Posts
    1,505
    those pics bring back a lot of memories.
    i started out working on belt & direct drive
    equipment & then semiherm. equip.
    havent been in a rack room for many years &
    wouldnt know where to start on todays equipment.
    maybe next week ill ask a friend to tag along & see
    what that side of the trade is like now.

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Jul 2000
    Location
    Guayaquil EC
    Posts
    10,421
    Quote Originally Posted by hvacpope View Post
    its unbelievable how much you know about all that stuff, you should write a book about supermarkets and refrigeration in general, for real.
    Too bad though it's so tough to make a buck selling books these days. Sure would come in handy to augment my Social Security checks when I get to that point...which ain't too far down the road from here.

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    Las Vegas, Nevada
    Posts
    1,647
    Quote Originally Posted by marvin View Post
    those pics bring back a lot of memories.
    i started out working on belt & direct drive
    equipment & then semiherm. equip.
    havent been in a rack room for many years &
    wouldnt know where to start on todays equipment.
    maybe next week ill ask a friend to tag along & see
    what that side of the trade is like now.
    I'm not working on anything quite that dated, but some of the places I go are fairly new.

    On the off chance my phone actually begins to ring again , you are welcome to ride with me any time.
    The views and opinions posted here are my own. They do not reflect the corporate policies of my employer and will most likely get me fired at some point.

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Southern California
    Posts
    586
    Quote Originally Posted by Riverguy553 View Post
    In my 10 years IV never worked on a belt driven or tandem compressor. I guess living in the OC is a good thing!
    What? you're missing out. I work in OC and I service some stores with tandems. There is a store that has a belt drive out there running a produce cooler which is still chugging along too. Probably die when I'm on call next though. haha

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Palmdale ca with my brothers
    Posts
    44
    Quote Originally Posted by pherman View Post
    What? you're missing out. I work in OC and I service some stores with tandems. There is a store that has a belt drive out there running a produce cooler which is still chugging along too. Probably die when I'm on call next though. haha
    I work in newer stores for the most part. We do have a few junk stores but I try and stay out of them....

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Comfortech Show Promo Image

Related Forums

Plumbing Talks | Contractor Magazine
Forums | Electrical Construction & Maintenance (EC&M) Magazine
Comfortech365 Virtual Event