Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Pics of an old rack

In the way to service another piece of equipment came across this old rack with belt driven compressors, wonder what are the cams use for??

Quote Originally Posted by hvacpope View Post
    wonder what are the cams use for??
    That looks like some good times could be had on that thing.

those 'cams' in picture 2 are most likely the old defrost controls before they updated to relay boards.

In my 10 years IV never worked on a belt driven or tandem compressor. I guess living in the OC is a good thing!

I got to add oil to a belt drive compressor once......

I've worked on a couple of tandems. Both in AC applications.

Quote Originally Posted by Riverguy553 View Post
    In my 10 years IV never worked on a belt driven or tandem compressor. I guess living in the OC is a good thing!
    yea OC is too newly developed. bring yer ass into LA

Nope I only go to LA for a store survey once in a great while. If it's west of the 605 I'd rather go home.... My office knows to send me to palm desert rather then LA or the valley....

Pic #2 shows a couple of Paragon defrost timers. These were pretty much the standard rack defrost controller of the day from the 1970s to the mid 1980s. They're still available from Paragon if you need replacement modules or drive motors.

http://www.uni-line.com/modules/cata...e&prodID=65276

Pic #5 show the manufacturer as Triton. They were a small, custom rack builder on Long Island who specialized in those belt-drive systems. That rack must have been built around 1985 or so...as a guess.

They did a nice job from what I saw back then, but they went out not long after because of the competition in the Atlanta area from Phoenix, Margeaux and the new custom rack shops from Hussmann, Warren, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by icemeister View Post
    Pic #2 shows a couple of Paragon defrost timers. These were pretty much the standard rack defrost controller of the day from the 1970s to the mid 1980s. They're still available from Paragon if you need replacement modules or drive motors.

http://www.uni-line.com/modules/cata...e&prodID=65276

Pic #5 show the manufacturer as Triton. They were a small, custom rack builder on Long Island who specialized in those belt-drive systems. That rack must have been built around 1985 or so...as a guess.

They did a nice job from what I saw back then, but they went out not long after because of the competition in the Atlanta area from Phoenix, Margeaux and the new custom rack shops from Hussmann, Warren, etc.
    its unbelievable how much you know about all that stuff, you should write a book about supermarkets and refrigeration in general, for real.

those pics bring back a lot of memories.
    i started out working on belt & direct drive
    equipment & then semiherm. equip.
    havent been in a rack room for many years &
    wouldnt know where to start on todays equipment.
    maybe next week ill ask a friend to tag along & see
    what that side of the trade is like now.

Quote Originally Posted by hvacpope View Post
    its unbelievable how much you know about all that stuff, you should write a book about supermarkets and refrigeration in general, for real.
    Too bad though it's so tough to make a buck selling books these days. Sure would come in handy to augment my Social Security checks when I get to that point...which ain't too far down the road from here.

Quote Originally Posted by marvin View Post
    those pics bring back a lot of memories.
    i started out working on belt & direct drive
    equipment & then semiherm. equip.
    havent been in a rack room for many years &
    wouldnt know where to start on todays equipment.
    maybe next week ill ask a friend to tag along & see
    what that side of the trade is like now.
    I'm not working on anything quite that dated, but some of the places I go are fairly new.

On the off chance my phone actually begins to ring again , you are welcome to ride with me any time.
    The views and opinions posted here are my own. They do not reflect the corporate policies of my employer and will most likely get me fired at some point.

Quote Originally Posted by Riverguy553 View Post
    What? you're missing out. I work in OC and I service some stores with tandems. There is a store that has a belt drive out there running a produce cooler which is still chugging along too. Probably die when I'm on call next though. haha

Quote Originally Posted by pherman View Post
    What? you're missing out. I work in OC and I service some stores with tandems. There is a store that has a belt drive out there running a produce cooler which is still chugging along too. Probably die when I'm on call next though. haha
    I work in newer stores for the most part. We do have a few junk stores but I try and stay out of them....

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast