Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Sluggish reversing valve

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by jpsmith1cm View Post
    When you said "service ports" do you mean the external ports on the unit?

If so, then they should be within a few PSI of one another during heating operation.

Maybe a wee bit higher on the larger line.
    Service ports are outside the unit at the service valves.

Post Likes
    You don't check operation in heat mode at both of the service valves. Neither of them are the suction/vapor port.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by beenthere View Post
    You don't check operation in heat mode at both of the service valves. Neither of them are the suction/vapor port.

Quote Originally Posted by starwatcher View Post
    Service ports are outside the unit at the service valves.

Post Likes
    starwatcher.

You need a contractor or a tech who is well versed in Heat Pump service.

From the sounds of things, the techs you have are not.

I'm no heat pump guru, but I figured this out pretty quickly.

Try our contractor locator map.

Post Likes
    Leaving pressure gauges out of the picture, the unit in heating mode does not make the suction line hot! Sound of the compressor is harsh, sometimes it will stay that way for 5, 10, 15 mins before compressor smooth out to quite normal sound, suction line is now hot. the same process can be seen in cooling mode or defrost, if the compressor goes into the "quite" stage the deforst will produce steam, if it stays in the noisy mode no steam and no defrost.

Post Likes
    I will stand by my last post.

The tech needs to sit there until the unit does it, then take the time to determine WHY it is happening.

Sadly, I cannot do so from where I am sitting.

Post Likes
    Leaving pressure gauges out of the picture, the unit in heating mode does not make the suction line hot! Sound of the compressor is harsh, sometimes it will stay that way for 5, 10, 15 mins before compressor smooth out to quite normal sound, suction line is now hot. the same process can be seen in cooling mode or defrost, if the compressor goes into the "quite" stage the deforst will produce steam, if it stays in the noisy mode no steam and no defrost.
    What are the pressures AFTER the sounds settles out?

Post Likes
    lions lair,

This is the Ask Our Pro's forum. In order to post a response here, you must have verified qualifications and have been approved by the AOP Committee. You may ask a question by starting a new thread.

You can find the rules for posting and qualifications here.

This is your first warning. Additional infractions may result in loss of posting privileges.

Post Likes
    The tech I am using is a certified Goodman dealer/installer and one of the bigest in the area. Also is the owners son of the company. Now during start up after the replacing of the service valve, unit in "cooling mode" little to no movement could be seen on the guages. Then the cycle of time begins and the pressure will rise but this is hit or miss.

Post Likes
    The tech I am using is a certified Goodman dealer/installer and one of the bigest in the area. Also is the owners son of the company. Now during start up after the replacing of the service valve, unit in "cooling mode" little to no movement could be seen on the guages. Then the cycle of time begins and the pressure will rise but this is hit or miss.
    If the gauges aren't moving in cooling, NOW we're cookin...

There are only a couple things that I can think of that would cause this condition.

A GOOD tech shouldn't have a lot of trouble narrowing it down.

They've put 2 RVs in. What criteria did they use for condemning the RV?

How many more RVs are you willing to have them replace before they do some old fashioned service work and find the real problem?

Post Likes
    Lions lair,

It won't let you edit because I deleted your post.

See the rules for posting in the AOP Forums.

Post Likes
    What are the pressures AFTER the sounds settles out?
    jp,
    I don't know, the tech was watching his guages but did show me that while in cooling mode, there was no pressure difference from the suction side to the liquid side. Turn the unit off, pressure stayed the same. Showing compressor was not moving refrigerant. Sometimes if enough time went by, the unit would just start doing what it is suppose to do, other times it doesn't.

Post Likes
    If the gauges aren't moving in cooling, NOW we're cookin...

There are only a couple things that I can think of that would cause this condition.

A GOOD tech shouldn't have a lot of trouble narrowing it down.

They've put 2 RVs in. What criteria did they use for condemning the RV?

How many more RVs are you willing to have them replace before they do some old fashioned service work and find the real problem?
    After the replacement of rv the first time, the unit worked for about a week, by hitting the rv valve would sometimes cause the thing to work again. May have been just a fluck that made it worked. When the second rv was placed in, system was flushed, thinking that a previous compressor problem may have left jumk in there. When that 2nd valve did not work from the get go u[pon startup but later did work for a bit off and on, now the compressor and outside THX valve is being looked at.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by beenthere View Post
    Aw, I see what you are saying, I may not have been clear enough, we where in cooling for the pressure checks and even then there was hardly any pressure difference.

Just thinking about what I just said, if the inside THX was stuck open would this not allow enough restriction to see a pressure change? Just asking.
    Last edited by starwatcher; 01-07-2012 at 05:18 PM. Reason: did some thinking

Post Likes
    I don't think a TXV could cause that.

Post Likes
    Starwatcher,

"percussive" diagnostics are not professional techniques.

There is a way to diagnose an rv.

Beating on it is not it.

Post Likes
    Aw, I see what you are saying, I may not have been clear enough, we where in cooling for the pressure checks and even then there was hardly any pressure difference.

Just thinking about what I just said, if the inside THX was stuck open would this not allow enough restriction to see a pressure change? Just asking.
    Nope, it would still have a pressure difference.

Post Likes
    Starwatcher,

"percussive" diagnostics are not professional techniques.

There is a way to diagnose an rv.

Beating on it is not it.
    LOL, yes I know but the tech was not the one beating on it, I was between service calls just to get it to work. Besides I am a Boilermaker ( power generating) by trade, if something dosen't work we get a beater, if that don't work we get a bigger beater.

Joking aside, I know about things like checking the temp difference on the sides of the rv tubes and the magnets to check for movement of the valve. From what I have heard, there needs to be 50 psi to operate the RV and we are not seeing the pressure anywhere when it is in it's bad mood. Let me say thanks guys for your time and incite. This not being my area of expertise, I am learning more then a home owner or I care to know. At this stage of life I just want the thing to work and I am trusting those that work in the industry to do just that.

I've had problems from amost day one with quality control of Goodman products. I for one will never buy nor recommend them to anyone because of my tinted opinion. I may have gotten a lemon out of 1000's but it my lemon.

Post Likes
    Hi guys, just to keep you guys up on what is going on. Replaced the compressor and every thing works great. So a Copeland compressor can fail intermitant as I stated in a previous message. For whatever the reason there was not enough pressure build up forcing the scroll down to pressure the system up. There is an internal pressure check in there that must have went bad. Don't have time to go into it now will be back later to give more info.

Post Likes
    LOL, yes I know but the tech was not the one beating on it, I was between service calls just to get it to work. Besides I am a Boilermaker ( power generating) by trade, if something dosen't work we get a beater, if that don't work we get a bigger beater.

Joking aside, I know about things like checking the temp difference on the sides of the rv tubes and the magnets to check for movement of the valve. From what I have heard, there needs to be 50 psi to operate the RV and we are not seeing the pressure anywhere when it is in it's bad mood. Let me say thanks guys for your time and incite. This not being my area of expertise, I am learning more then a home owner or I care to know. At this stage of life I just want the thing to work and I am trusting those that work in the industry to do just that.

I've had problems from amost day one with quality control of Goodman products. I for one will never buy nor recommend them to anyone because of my tinted opinion. I may have gotten a lemon out of 1000's but it my lemon.
    Funny ,I have no issues with my Goodman installs,then again,they get the same proper techniques followed as if I were installing a Trane.nuff said.
    PA#9377
    Your Satisfaction...Our Goal.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in