Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Lightbulb

Great website!!
    I've only come across this site a couple of days ago, in pursuit of information on programmable 2 stage thermostats.
    I have a 6 month old Lennox G60V 2 stage furnace with a 1 stage thermostat.
    I will try keeping this as short as possible. I use this for HEAT only (no A/C needed).
    Anyway...I would appreciate anyone's thoughts on the White-Rodgers 1F95-371 2 stage thermostat. I like most of the features on it, but need clarification on the staging it does when it is running. I hope I can make this as clear as possible too
    My main question is about the recovery mode: Will it start the 2nd stage right away (or quickly) from night time setback?
    I set the temperature at night down to 17 Celsius (62.6Farenheit) and want it up to 19 C (67 F) when I start wandering around (and for sure, before my wife wakes up).
    On the 1st stage it can take over one hour to raise 1 C (1.8 F), so having it run forever on stage one during recovery is not a comfortable option, considering the winter temperatures here range from 32 F down to -40 F (0 C to -40 C)
    I hope that your knowledge and vast experience can help me out in my decision.
    TYIA, javaman

Why not keep your house warmer at night then you wont have to problem of running your furnace harder in the morning. How much could it possible save you cooling your house off and then making your furnace work 2x harder to heat it up?

Thanks for your quick reply back. Since I wanted to keep my first post brief, I wasn't clear on some information.
    Currently, when the thermostat calls for heat, stage 1 will come on, and after 15 minutes, stage 2 will come on until the thermostat temp has been satisfied, then shut off. Currently, with this set up, it takes approximately one hour to raise two degrees Celsius. It would be a shorter time if the second stage came on sooner (obviously)
    When/If I get this W-R 1F95-371 two stage stat, I just really want to know if this thermostat will perform as I would hope or expect, with 2nd stage starting right away in recovery.
    If you need more info, please let me know.

javaman

I have had the same issue.

I got a HW vision Pro 8320 T-Stat, and yes it will start right away in stage 2 if the temp difference is greater than 0.5C.

I use recovery as well even more aggressivly than you, night at 10C and recover to 17C. Works very well all around although, this was not really a winter. My new Lennos G61 did hardly got a work out.

If you system is sized properly setback should not be a problem.

Thanks nord64.
    Due to slightly higher price of HW (vs W-R) I was shying away from it, but I will read the info I found on it in more detail.
    iaqsource.com has bettr information on it than Honeywell's own site. This is another part of the reason I didn't look at Honeywell...lack of info from their site.
    And now I will read.
    javaman (keeping warm in alberta)

javaman

I have no experince with W-R T-stats but most people on this site do prefer the HW VP 8320 or 8321. The main issue for you is probably that you need a 2-stage stat with your 2 stage system. The HW models have a lot of usefull features on top of precise temp regulation.
    search this site for the honeywell 8320 and you will find many of the features/advantages. BTW I'm just a homeowner which educated himself.
    good luck

lennox signiture stat made to work with the v drive furnaces. will recover on high fire. if a/c is added to system sig stat can "talk" to furnace to vary blower speed for better humidity control.

Older 1F90 stats always started in 1st stage for up to 10 minutes to get a feel for how fast the temp was catching up. I played with a 1F95-391 on a test board. Definitely didn't start 2nd stage right away on running the temp up, not sure about a setback recovery but I would think it would try 1st stage initially.

if price is an issue you might want to look at totaline- p474-0100 series carrier 33cs series they are small and will work with any fuel incl hp and have auto changeover i have the commercial model in my home and it works great and I can lock it out so my wife cant change it

thanks all for replies. any info and opinions i can get helps, not only me, but perhaps others who may have an inquiry like mine. readiing through all the past posts was informative, but didn't quite address the one thing i was wondering about.
    baldloonie, that would make sense that the thermostat would start in stage one and graduate up to stg 2, but if it will perform similarily to my current 1 stage thermostat, would I be that much further ahead if I were to get a single stage programmable thermostat with the other similar features as the W-R 1F95-371 or HW 8320?
    From what i've read, the 2nd stage can be programmed for a longer delay than what my furnace controller board would limit (15 minutes) which I could see as a benefit while it is maintaining temperature. When it is really cold, like near -30, the 2nd stage may come on for about two minutes after runnign 15 minutes on stage 1 near the end of the heat cycle.
    perhaps i should sleep longer in the morning, then i won't notice what the delay is on recovery (when i get a programmable stat)
    interesting stuff, this technology.
    ty, javaman

Robertshaw 9615. The differential is fully adjustable beetween 1st and 2nd stage
    How much is it an hour?

since you have a top of the line unit and it is only six months old call your installing contractor and explain you concerns.
    i am sure they will have some ideas for you and be able to solve any and all concerns.

this furnace has many options for set up and your dealor should be able to give better choices

why didnt they give you a two stage stat when it was installed. just curious

When they did the installation, I specified a digital non-programmable thermostat becuse I knew nothing then of programables. Currently it has a Luxpro PSD 111, which works well, as it keeps the house at around +/- 0.25 C of setpoint. Its only of late that I've looked at what is available and may better suit my needs. One thing I've learned is that no Hardware store or the Big box store carries 2 stage thermostats, only single stage programmables.
    The city where the installer is from is 20 miles from my home, so I haven't really thought about going to them to see what they have, although, picking up the phone would connect me with them instantly.
    Perhaps I'll call them Monday and see what they have and at what price.
    Thanks and have a good day!!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast