Thread: Level of Outside Unit

Post Likes
    I've had a new split system heatpump installed. The outside unit is on some concrete blocks left over from the prior install. Three total blocks, one large and then two smaller blocks. On top of the blocks is a black pad of some type, and the units sits on the black pad. The unit does rock or shake, but it doesn't look exactly level to me. Is this an issue?

Post Likes
    It should be on a prefabricated or poured pad on the ground, and be fairly level. Unless there is landscaping, or some other circumstance dictating it's position. A picture would be quite helpful for specific advise

Post Likes
    The picture I have right now of your outdoor unit is grim. Unit should be on the ground with a pad as described by jayinsc. If your in a snow zone then snow legs are appropriate. And yes it should be level for proper drainage.
    Proud supporter of Springfield Millers and Oregon Ducks.

Post Likes
    lennox states in their install manual that slab or pad should pitch away from house.

Post Likes
    Heat Pump outdoor units should be slightly tilted by about an 8th of an inch for proper drainage during defrost cycle, read the owners manual under the instalation procedure and it should tell you this, I don't know about the sitting on blocks, unless you are in North Georgia where you do get some snow? We don't get any down here in Atlanta

“Tell me and I forget. Teach me and I remember. Involve me and I learn.”

Post Likes

Photo of Install at Issue

This is my first attempt at posting a picture. Hopefully this shows the install and makes my question easier to understand.

[Edited by georgiaguy on 03-12-2006 at 11:27 PM]

Post Likes
    Do you get alot of cold temps? Either way in my opinion is that the unit should be on risers instead of on a pad as shown. Get rid of the blocks.

Post Likes
    Looks crooked, but the whole picture is crooked.

It does not look great the way it is sitting on those blocks but those blocks are already settled from sitting there so long? The unit would probably stay more level over time just sitting on something thats already there as opposed to digging away and messing around with creating a new surface.

I see lots of posts that say pour a pad and compact the dirt and all but around here that would just be considered loony unless the GC did it. Most units just sit on a pad on dirt leveled with a shovel. Gravel is a bonus. Most units also tilt towards the house a few years after construcion.

I don't know if i want to say it but if i can set a unit on something like old blocks that are already sunk in the ground im happy with it as the condensing unit probably won't go anywhere. A pile of pea gravel and you won't see the old pad.

Post Likes
    Originally posted by Makinice
    Do you get alot of cold temps? Either way in my opinion is that the unit should be on risers instead of on a pad as shown. Get rid of the blocks.
    I'm near Atlanta. It's normal in Georgia to set the units directly on the pads, we don't get enough cold weather to hardly matter. What is snow anyway?

Having said that, I think the blocks under the pad look pretty shabby and the unit should be pretty close to level with no more than a very slight pitch for drainage.

Senior Tech Guest
    In all honesty judging by the picture....someone did not take alot of pride in their work...black tape, old dis-connect,...and is that a dryer vent close to the ground, near the unit?

Post Likes
    I'm sorry the pictures are a little crooked. I took them in the dark with a flash. I would say the unit is pretty flat from left to right as you look at the unit from the front (the second picture). I definitely see it pitch away from the house in the angle shown from the first picture. I'm sure the big block has been there for years. Not sure about the two blocks in the front.

Yes the installer used a dryer vent to cover some of the piping coming out from under the house.

[Edited by georgiaguy on 03-12-2006 at 11:35 PM]

Post Likes
    Originally posted by georgiaguy
    I'm sorry the pictures are a little crooked. I took them in the dark with a flash. I would say the unit is pretty flat from left to right as you look at the unit from the front (the second picture). I definitely see it pitch away from the house in the angle shown from the first picture. I'm sure the big block has been there for years. Not sure about the two blocks in the front.
    The two cap blocks were added. The originl condensing unit was probably more rectangular shaped, probably a Singer judging by the apparent age of the home.

You need to get rid of the bush ASAP. You need free airflow around and above the unit and you don't need all those little holly leaves in the condenser.

The unit is probably not leaning enough to actually hurt anything, just looks kinda shabby is all.

Post Likes
    Get rid of the blocks, And that bush near the heat pump. Both are going to cause trouble
    rick

Post Likes

Hmm

Is appearance more important than function? Depends on who see's it.
    JMO if the blocks are pretty well settled in I leave 'em alone for stability. They can be hidden by the mulch you get from grinding up that bush/tree thingy.
    As for level. What it looks like is determined by what a level sitting on the unit tells you.

Post Likes
    Thanks to all that have responded. I'll see if I can put a level on it after work. I see my original post had a typo. The unit is stable it does NOT rock or shake. I see some are concerned about the azalea bush. How sad. It looks nice when it's in bloom. Maybe I can replant it a little farther from the unit.

Post Likes
    Get rid of it. Anticipate it will grow and make sure it never gets closer than 12" to the unit. Have the installing contractor back to fix the pad, there is no reason they couldnt have brought a shovel and did a little prep work to set the pad in. In Atlanta, you probably dont really need to have it on risers or pump ups, but it will produce alot of water come winter and you do not want that stuck in the unit. 4" pump ups would be fine.

Post Likes
    Okay, I tried to photograph a level laying on the unit, with the level being perpendicular to the house. This picture shows the bubble all the way to the edge of the level.

This photo is an attempt to show how the unit relates to a level that is held flat with the bubble in the middle.

This photo show the bubble on the level with the level placed parallel with the house. As previously stated this is closer to being level but it still leans a little.

With regard to being level I'm more concerned with function versus aesthetics. Although from an aesthetics standpoint I would prefer not to see the unit rather than seeing a level unit. Unfortunately most seem to be recommending that I remove the bush that helps to hind the unit.

Post Likes
    Do Not put any plants near the condenser. A pre-fab pad could have been easily installed.That's just half-ass IMO.
    If everything was always done "by the book"....the book would never change.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in