Hi,

I need to remove / reinstall a section of supply ductwork in my home.

The existing 5' run (20"x8") is already intact and has existing supply takeoffs already.

I need to remove this section to do some work atop of it and then reinstall or better yet replace it when I'm done working over the top.

Yes, I do need to remove it because there is ABSOLUTELY NO ROOM to access the area above unless I drop this section of ductwork, the takeoffs previously installed (about 3-4 of them) are all 6" takeoffs with existing supply runs.

I'd like to just replace the section of ductwork and then replace the 90 degree takeoffs installed, but it is in the middle of a supply run. I won't be able to bend the tabs back down... Do they have a snap in takeoff?

This area is so tight, there is zero room on either side of this run because of return main, beams and structure. aLso no room to get to the supply runs themselves (to slide my hand thru the takeoffs and bend tabs over...

Remodeling at it's finest : (((

If somebody has had this situation I would certainly appreciate any insight or tips.

Thanks

Office and warehouse in both Crystal River & New Port Richey ,FL
    If I have the "picture".

Cut sections of "bottom" of the 20X8 out as needed ,say 8X8 to get to each takeoff .Then patch with a 10X10 and mastic it.

cut take offs into duct before installing.

Please send before and after pictures.Im getti'n ready to fire people,and can use some go getters.

" Snappy " does make a snap in T.O, but you still need to get your hand inside to lockdown.

I would have your contractor pull the section of duct AFTER he removes the exsisting runs. Then he can reinstall it when he's finished without it looking like it's been hacked into.

If you turn the elbows straight you can get your hand in there to lock them and then spin them back to 90 degrees. Or like already posted put them on before you put the duct back up

DOC, Yeah me too but contractor wants no part of this adding return project that I am doing solo - actually I'm getting them close to the return and contractor will tie in - At this time I have a series of holes drilled thru fllor (to get at new dual returns on 1st floor)

They both said they would run a big giant return right from the drop out into the basement, they don't want to have their guys tied up for two days messing around with ductwork.

I want it done right, and this furnace serves only the 1st floor and not the basement. I calculated the cfm and I need more return there is no denying that but there's an easy way and then there is my way : ))

They'll change the furnace and drop but want nothing to do with cutting (3) returns inside my interior walls (drilling out bottom plates etc) and running boots from difficult locations.

I need to get this part done before they start, the section of supply duct that needs to come down (to get to the holes I drilled) in two side by side joist spaces are right above the supply with no access as indicated in original post.

If I get the 7" round stubbed over to the return, they'll tie it in.

My problem is that I need to keep my furnace in operation until lthe changeout 3-4 weeks, I think I'm gonna take a roto zip and neatly cut a U shaped section under the holes I need to access then do the same on the top of the duct, after I'm done fold the duct back into place - using sheet metal filler strip inside the duct and outside as well, then when the contractor can replace the 5' section or to make it easier on them maybe a 2ft and a 3 ft section.

It would be much easier to open (my right angle drill holes) w/sawzall once the supply is down but I want it done before they get here, last thing an installer is going to want is sharing space with me while I install these two boots.

where are you located? can't you just close off joist space for return??????