On Monday our contractor begins to build out the mechanical room for a renovation of our home. The major item located in the room is a Carrier Infinty 80 (58CVA) furnace.

Because of the home's layout, this room adjoins the dining and living rooms. We've taken great pains to keep the ducts quiet, but the one thing I'm still uncertain about is how aggressive should we should be in "noise insulation" of the mechanical room. Right now the only thing we're doing is installing Owens Corning QuietZone fiberglass batts in the walls. I've also considered double sheetrock or resilent channels, but our HVAC contractor says that the unit is so quiet that this in unnecessary.

Anyone else have any thoughts? Is the unit really that quiet?

Thanx ... msg

Office and warehouse in both Crystal River & New Port Richey ,FL
    His,mine and your idea of quiet ,might be different.I'd say insulate ,sound barrier ,etc.,to make sure You are happy.

Here's a product that will reduce static pressure in the ducts and reduce sound transmission from the fan as well.

Go to this site and look for the glasline cataloge ,then the quietturn vanes.

http://www.durodyne.com/forward.php?forward_this=alfr

Also a minimum of two 90° elbows in the return duct between the furnace and the return grille(s),is required to prevent noise.

Tell us what they have already done to the ducts to reduce noise?

It's about as quiet as modern 80% furnaces get. It sounds like you are confident that the ductwork will be quiet; your post seems more interested in the operating sound of the furnace assuming that the ductwork is done well.

Provided you're getting the ductwork right, it will be virtually silent in cooling mode or when the fan is running alone- even to stand right next to it IN the mechanical room. I have a CVA in my attic and I have to get right up on it to know if the blower is on or off.

The burners do add some sound when it's heating, but I would tend to agree with the contractor; if you're insulating the walls on the mechanical room, I think you'll do fine with respect to direct sound transmission.