We've just had a Unico-based central heating and a/c system installed in our home, and would love to get some opinions from installers or consumers about the heating experience with this system. I expected more noise from this system that from the traditional forced air systems we've had in previous homes. However, in some rooms the flow of air is such that both the noise and airflow are quite noticeable well away from the outlets.

The company that did the install came highly recommended, have done many of these systems and have been extremely professional. I'm not sure they have finished balancing the system and I have no reason to doubt their ability to complete a successful job. But I would still love to get some real-world opinions from others on the levels of noise and air movement we should reasonably expect when all is finished.

Thanks in advance!

When you say "Unico-based", do you mean it uses a Unico air handler or that it's like a Unico?

I cant imagine using one of those things to heat a house with. Cooling is another story if you cannot install a traditional system.

Originally posted by docholiday
    I cant imagine using one of those things to heat a house with. Cooling is another story if you cannot install a traditional system.
    Did one last year, for primary heat. The homeowner is very happy with it. And it is quiet as well.

Sound attenuators: Always use atleast 3 feet of the unico supplied sound attenuator tubing at the end of each run. For runs up to 12 feet you may use the SA without the aluminum core supply tubing. For greater lengths couple the 3 foot attenuator with the alum. core supply tubing.

Check Static Pressure: Measure the external static pressure in plenum 2 feet from unit and before any fitting. Set as close as possible to 1.5 in. of water column or less, but no less than 1.0 IWC or greater than 1.8 IWC' by providing adequate number of FULL outlets and minimum plenum fittings.

Inspect Flow: Each outlet should have approx. 40 cfm.

Have them fill out the Unico System service report and give it to you or shoot me an email and I can fax you one.

There is also a restrictor plate that needs to be set.
    " Kill a Commie for Mommy! "

- Colonel David Hackworth (1930-2005), Korean War Vet

In my experience, Unicos have been more quiet than conventional systems. If they're designed right, you can truly have a near silent system.

A lot of things can cause noise and a higher cfm from an outlet. The number of outlets per ton, the location of the duct along the supply trunk, the length of the duct, the length of sound attenuator used, bending of the duct at the outlet, aspiration, the distance from the end of the supply trunk, and the list goes on. Each install is going to be different and may require a little extra tweaking upon startup than a conventional system.

First thing to do is to ask if the installers have completed "balancing" the system. All installers should do 3 things after installation.

1)Check cfm from each outlet (if the supply trunk is not buried, they can add balancing orifices to the takeoffs that are noisy or have too high of cfm)

2+3)Adjust the restrictor plate on the air handler and check the amp draw at the unit, adjusting the plate/amps to match the tons of air required based on the load-calc done. They did load calc it right?

Because it's hi-v, mistakes can be more noticeable, so it's important to hire Certified Unico Installers. Last I heard was that if you use a company whose employees have been certified by Unico (ask for their certificates) you get a five year warranty instead of a one year warranty.

[Edited by dchvac on 03-10-2006 at 10:33 PM]