+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Ammonia refrigeration

Post Likes

Ammonia refrigeration

Looking for some information on the oil system of an ammonia system. Came up on a test for school but could not locate much information on ammonia. Some questions were .. What pressure is the oil pump set at? How is the oil psig adjusted? Thanks for the help

Post Likes
    Challenge yourself, take the CM test --- Certificate Member since 2004 ---Join RSES ---the HVAC/R training authority ---www.rses.org

Post Likes
    Thanks for the help

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by Freezeair42186 View Post
    Looking for some information on the oil system of an ammonia system. Came up on a test for school but could not locate much information on ammonia. Some questions were .. What pressure is the oil pump set at? How is the oil psig adjusted? Thanks for the help
    The oil pump pressure is set based on the compressor size, system size and the function of the compressor, for an example; The High Stage Compressors in the Engine Room where I work at, the Oil Pump is set at 116.3psi - 123.7psi. But the Booster Compressors (Drive down the Suction Pressure of the Low Side Accumulator) is set to 49.6psi, and finally the High Stage Compressor for the High Stage Accumulator is set at 130.2psi. But the system that I'm working with is a Pumper-Drum System. If it were a 2 Stage Flooded System, the Oil Pump Set points would be slightly different due to the different system design and function.

A lot of information I know, and I do apoligize for going on, but the "real" answer would be it depends on what type of system and weather its the High Side or Low Side.

Thanks,
    -Chris

P.S.- Like mentioned above, challenge yourself, take the R.E.T.A. CARO (Certified Assistant Refrigeration Operator) Test. Its easy.

Post Likes
    I wouldn't even bother taking that exam. Listen to Chris, each system is different. Knowledge on ammonia comes with time, like everything else in this trade. Don't work on ammonia if you don't know the gas.

Post Likes
    NH3 is right. Some of my screws operate at 50 psi above discharge, and some with part time oil pumps, using condenser pressure to feed the oil. All depends on your equipment. At least the oil is easy to recover on flooded vessels. Settles on the bottom. Go to your compressor mfg.

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in