replacing split system in a 1987 2 story 2000 sq. ft. house including replacing all duct work. I will be finishing room in WALK-UP ATTIC at a later date. I have heard damper system will help me out with walk up room. So far I am think this is what I think I want:

Downstairs: 2-TON, Trane XL1400, 80 afue(standard), 13 seer, 2 stage variable speed, natural gas heat.

Upstairs:2 ton, Trane XL16i 13 seer,2 stage cooling with multi-stage fan(because this uses r-410a,and not sure about new freon and having 2 different types freon at same house, I may switch to XL15i,), XL80 80 afue Furnace. My questions are:

1. I would like to know if my choices are reasonable, these are pricey systems but not moving for at least 7 yrs.
    2. Is the XL16i overkill, I don't see any other unit Trane makes with variable speed?
    thanks! great forum

forgot to mention that I live in Raleigh nc, hot summers, not too harsh winters

>>> Edit: Moved double post to your original post. <<<

[Edited by jrbenny on 03-10-2006 at 07:02 AM]

the 16 is a verry good choice. if you are staying for 7 yrs or maby longer it would be a good investment

Wink Former Cary NC residdent

Originally posted by stevew1
    a 1987 2 story 2000 sq. ft. house
    including replacing all duct work.

I will be finishing room in WALK-UP ATTIC at a later date. I have heard damper system will help me out with walk up room. So far I am think this is what I think I want:

Downstairs: 2-TON, Trane XL1400, 80 afue(standard), 13 seer, 2 stage variable speed, natural gas heat.

Upstairs:2 ton, Trane XL16i 13 seer,2 stage cooling with multi-stage fan
    (because this uses r-410a,and not sure about new freon and having 2 different types freon at same house, I may switch to XL15i,), XL80 80 afue Furnace. My questions are:

1. I would like to know if my choices are reasonable, these are pricey systems but not moving for at least 7 yrs.

2. Is the XL16i overkill, I don't see any other unit Trane makes with variable speed?
    What is the heating energy cost $aving$ with XL16i heat pumps? $160 per year

3,200 H.D.D. / 2,000 Cooling Degree Days,
    heating energy consumption might be
    ~$700 for natural gas and
    ~$540 with use of heat pumps

Guessing ~26'F as approx. balance point with
    two 2-ton heat pumps.

I don't remember the natural ga$ and current electric pricing in NC. I would expect price difference bewteen XL14i and XL16i to be "minimal" given that you are also
    replacing all the duct work (> ~30% of the cost).

Heat pump will be noticably (> just a few $00) higher $.
    Might be ~6 year pay-back?
    Designer Dan
    It's Not Rocket Science, But It is SCIENCE with "Some Art". ___ ___ K EEP I T S IMPLE & S INCERE

Define the Building Envelope and Perform a Detailed Load Calc: It's ALL About Windows and Make-up Air Requirements. Know Your Equipment Capabilities

Originally posted by stevew1
    replacing split system in a 1987 2 story 2000 sq. ft. house including replacing all duct work. I will be finishing room in WALK-UP ATTIC at a later date. I have heard damper system will help me out with walk up room. So far I am think this is what I think I want:

Upstairs:2 ton, Trane XL16i 13 seer,2 stage cooling with multi-stage fan(because this uses r-410a,and not sure about new freon and having 2 different types freon at same house, I may switch to XL15i,), XL80 80 afue Furnace. My questions are:

thanks! great forum

I think they are great choices the R410A system you have to keep in mind,when your service tech. checks your R410A he may mistake it for R-22 and could charge it with R-22. I have seen it done with R-500 systems.

Question

I plan on replacing ALL duct work upstairs and down, any reason I can't take metal boot down and put duct work on and the put boot back up there. I've had some quotes to just cut duct at a point about 1'-2' from boot and put a"splice. this seems like even more work, is that what hacks do?