Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Carrier infinity 96 error 33

I have a carrier ics 96 down flow furnace that was installed 2 months prior with a 2 zone honeywellcom system. It was working fine but now I hear a slight rattle and I have been getting error code 33 for about a week now. It sounds like a fluttering, think of the sound a train makes.

The error code remains 33 and does not go to error code 13. I believe this means it's a limit switch fault. I have tried resetting it to no avail. Also all the registers are open. I have searched through the forums and have not found the answer I'm looking for.

I do get heat throughout the house and the flame burns bright blue.

Can anyone share some light on my issue?
    Last edited by Solidspidey; 12-26-2011 at 04:49 PM. Reason: Added description

Don't waste your time on internet forums, call the installing contractor back...
    How tall are you Private???!!!!

Yeah I have been trying. He doesn't return my phone calls (maybe because of holidays)

He came once, made sure all registers were open, he then opened the blower compartment and reset it. He left and said if it continued to call him back meanwhile he was going to call Carrier for more support. I am not sure if he is reliable and will follow up with me.

Also, are there supposed to be two airflow pipes entering blower compartment? One combustion pipe leads to the back of my house and the other is clamped and shut...is this normal?

tiger man

This is the Ask Our Pro's forum. In order to post advice here, you must have verified qualifications and have been approved by the AOP Committee.

You can find the rules for posting and qualifications here.

Further infractions may result in loss of posting privileges.
    Contractor locator map

How-to-apply-for-Professional

How many times must one fix something before it is fixed?

tiger man, This is the Ask Our Pro's or AOP forum. In order to post responses here, you must have verified qualifications and have been approved by the AOP Committee. Please see my signature line for links to register and review the AOP Forum Rules. Thank you. Your post will now be deleted. Further infractions may result in loss of posting privileges.

Quote Originally Posted by Solidspidey View Post
    Yeah I have been trying. He doesn't return my phone calls (maybe because of holidays)

He came once, made sure all registers were open, he then opened the blower compartment and reset it. He left and said if it continued to call him back meanwhile he was going to call Carrier for more support. I am not sure if he is reliable and will follow up with me.

Did you do your due diligence before hiring this contractor? Now's when the rubber hits the road. If he tempted you with the lowest price, it could be time to prepare yourself for some dissatisfaction issues. I'm put off right away by his using an after market zone control system when the Infinity zone system is far superior to all other systems and is designed to operate with your furnace specifically.

Also, are there supposed to be two airflow pipes entering blower compartment?

For the sake of clarity, the blower compartment is at one end of the furnace, on the return air side while the burner compartment is on the supply air side of the system.

One combustion pipe leads to the back of my house and the other is clamped and shut...is this normal?
    You should have two pipes that connects between the burner compartment and the outdoors. When the burner is in operation, the exhaust pipe will have warm, moist air existing the home at the pipe termination outdoors. The other pipe is for fresh combustion air intake. It should also be connected to the outdoors but in no case should it be 'clamped and shut' if it is truly the fresh air intake. I don't see how the furnace culd even be operating if the fresh air intake is closed off. Some pictures might help in this instance.

About the due diligence, one person I know from work went through him and had a good experience. Coupled with the fact that his price was affordable I went with him. His license and worksman comp was all valid.

Here are some pics. I have highlighted the clamped end and the other end that leads to the side of my house. Should the clamped end be open and be pulling air? The furnace is currently in a closet, if we removed the clamp would the closet air be sufficient? There are partially open screens on the closet floor that lead to the crawl space under the house. (I have attached two pictures of these screened openings). Also worth nothing the water heater and associated pipes are in the same closet.

I attached some pics of the two returns I have. I got quotes from many different contractors and they all said that it would be difficult to put a proper sized return due to the nature of where my furnace was being installed (Inside a closet)

I really appreciate you taking the time to read my post skippedover!!! Hopefully with your help I can correct these issues!

Please let me know what you think...
    Attached Images Attached Images         

tiger man.

Read our rules before posting again in any forum. You are not allowed to post any reply any anyone's thread, except a thread you start yourself.

From the AOP rules:

THE ONLY PEOPLE allowed to REPLY in the Owner Assistance Forums will be a Pro Member with a * by their user title and the one who started the thread. No others may post a reply. ..
    Contractor locator map

How-to-apply-for-Professional

How many times must one fix something before it is fixed?

You are getting limit open code? I can't tell what zone panel you have. Best bet is a panel that won't let the furnace go to its higher firing rates unless both zones are open. If he used a low priced panel, you may be timing up to high with 1 zone calling and then the furnace limit opens up. They like to stick open. Just a thought.

The clamped line is correct, you have a multiple position furnace.What they are doing is using the screened openings as your combustion air. There should be one at the ceiling and one at the floor. They should have run both pipes outside.

second opinion -
    So you are saying that there should there be another way that the furnace is bringing in outside air? Other than those 3 measly screen openings? That is what is causing my error code? A lack of air input?

Its weird because the furnace was working properly for about 2 months and now the error code shows up and the weird train-like noises. Shouldn't it have error'ed out the first day since there was not enough air input?

Well those screen openings were always in that closet, there was actually 4 of them. I forgot to mention there is one on the ceiling that connects to the attic. So there are a total of 4 small screen openings and one was covered up during installation.

BaldLoonie -
    Is the limit open code the same as the error code 33? Even with both zones calling for heat the error code shows and the noise is being made.

I have attached a pic of the zone control unit he installed if that helps.

Sorry if I'm being unclear or misreading everyone's post, I don't have a vast HVAC knowledge.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

A qualified technician needs to inspect the unit and determine what is causing the error code. The cap you pointed out is an alternate vent opening. The vent pipe would have been connected to it if the furnace was installed in a different position.

I do not see anything in the pictures to give enough information to determine the problem.
    Climate Control Solutions for your Home or Office

Serving Northeast Philadelphia and Surrounding Areas

The screens are not causing the error code 33, that is going to be one of the zone dampers. Post the model # of the furnace and water heater, we need the total btus of both pieces of equipment to determine combustion air needed.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast