Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: erv condo, odor transfer to the corridors

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by Canadaq View Post
    At 75 degrees there isn't much temp difference, but at 80 degrees it's too cold at the floor and a sauna at head level.
    A small difference is to be expected but this sounds extreme. Could you measure actual temp at floor, ceiling and hallway with a reasonably accurate handheld thermometer? Try it with hvac on and off and perhaps different locations in your unit. Something seems odd to me about this extreme difference.

Post Likes
    I'd have to get a thermometer. My guess is that it kept sucking in cold air from the corridor . Because since I sealed around the door the temp difference has gotten a lot less. also it blows hot air from near the ceiling , and the thermostat is also up high, and hot air doesn't come down, so it's kind of like a two story building without the dividing floor I'm guessing a combination of these.

Post Likes
    Canadaq,

Have you made any progress or found out anything new relating to your problem?

Post Likes
    Hmm...just occurred to me that if the OP's condo has an ERV, and it is exhausting more air than it takes in from outdoors, AND the hallway is positive to the condo (and that hallway is cold or only marginally heated), this might 'splain a few things.
    Psychrometrics: the very foundation of HVAC. A comfort troubleshooter's best friend.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by Shophound View Post
    Hmm...just occurred to me that if the OP's condo has an ERV, and it is exhausting more air than it takes in from outdoors, AND the hallway is positive to the condo (and that hallway is cold or only marginally heated), this might 'splain a few things.
    My thoughts, too. The imbalance created by all the exhaust equipment, including erv, is quite a strain on a 700 square foot space.

Include a steady prevailing wind around poorly installed or worn out weatherstripping, and the wind pushes and sucks the air out of the space. As many exhaust penetrations there are in the living space, I'm wondering if the forces of wind create a venturi effect, allowing uncontrolled infiltration/exfiltration as well.

Finally with the return and supply at the ceiling of the conditioned space, there would be obvious temperature difference in just 8 feet of column if the wind is moving through the space.

Post Likes
    Hi all,

No, no more info. waiting to hear from management. Do you guys have any band aid recommendations? extra weatherstripping somewhat improved the situation, but I still get some smells coming from the fresh air vent (although it's hard to say, it is pretty close to the front door). Whoever thought of putting fresh and exhaust vents both in the balconies of tiny apartments was a real genius.

btw, if the fans are off, does wind blow in air through the exhaust vents?

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by Canadaq View Post
    Hi all,

No, no more info. waiting to hear from management. Do you guys have any band aid recommendations? extra weatherstripping somewhat improved the situation, but I still get some smells coming from the fresh air vent (although it's hard to say, it is pretty close to the front door). Whoever thought of putting fresh and exhaust vents both in the balconies of tiny apartments was a real genius.

btw, if the fans are off, does wind blow in air through the exhaust vents?
    Exhaust fans should have dampers to prevent intrusion of air when the fan is not running.

Is it possible air being exhausted from a balcony near yours contains cooking odors that are being ingested by your ERV?
    Psychrometrics: the very foundation of HVAC. A comfort troubleshooter's best friend.

Post Likes
    also, approximately how long does it take for the air to completely exchange with all the ventilation off and the balcony door open, assuming no wind and just the stack related air exchange from the balcony door?

Post Likes
    yes, that is also a problem, but not as bad as the corridor.

do fresh air vents have dampers too? (I mean do you get fresh air blown in with the erv off if it's windy?)

Post Likes
    How do I check if they do have dampers or not?

Post Likes
    Dampers.... They work when they work. Most spring loaded butterfly dampers are great when they are new. Add real world stuff like several years of exhaust 'crud', and they stick open, or closed. My experience is that they should be inspected periodically to ensure they are indeed functioning as designed.

Gravity operated 'flappers' have to be positioned properly, or they don't work at all. Again, house maintenance personnel usually don't really care or know - you have to be your own advocate, and informed when you are a tenant. I hope we're providing some direction here for you.

Where are they? Anywhere in line with the exhaust duct. That needs to be established, and notated for future reference.

Post Likes
    I don't know. I'm not really sure what a damper is to go look for them!

Post Likes
    Here is a common butterfly damper showing how it works on a you tube video.

Here is what one looks like before it is installed. When installed, they are almost hidden in-line, so you have to 'feel' for them if they are in flex duct.

Post Likes
    oh, so they are right behind the fan, rather than near the exhaust vent outside. I see. Thank you.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in