13 SEER information and misconceptions
    I found this link very informative.

http://www.eesi.org/publications/Fac...cfactsheet.htm
    The obvious is obvious

Thanks for the link - quite informative

A couple of laughable lines from that report.

Relatively few low-income families actually ever purchase or own a central air conditioner, a product that costs between $2,000 and $5,000.
    Maybe if your installer is unlicenced, lives in low income housing and works out of a station wagon...

The American Council for an Energy-Efficient Economy (ACEEE) estimates that the incremental cost of a SEER 13 unit relative to today’s minimum standard SEER 10 unit will be about $171
    These people really have no connection whatsoever with reality do they?
    If more government is the answer, then it's a really stupid question.

Originally posted by mark beiser
    The American Council for an Energy-Efficient Economy (ACEEE) estimates that the incremental cost of a SEER 13 unit relative to today’s minimum standard SEER 10 unit will be about $171
    These people really have no connection whatsoever with reality do they?
    Maybe that was a typo maybe they meant 1171.00 or maybe there talking about stolen units.
    __________________________________________________ _______________________
    “Experience is a hard teacher because she gives the test first, the lesson afterwards". - Vernon Law

"Never let success go to your head, and never let failure go to your heart". - Unknown

10 SEER to 13 SEER that I have asked about is $1k. That's not quite $171 and more difficult to make up by being more energy efficient. If it was only $171 it would be a no brainer.

"Most units sold today just meet the current minimum standard. In today’s market, SEER 13 units are premium products sold with high markups to less price conscious consumers. Once the new standard goes into effect, the vast majority of units will just meet SEER 13, and manufacturers will reestablish new premium lines with higher SEERs and other premium features."

I assume this philosophy means that the 13 SEER units will become the entry level units and (eventually) be sold at an entry level price. No different than any other area of technology where something becomes outdated. On the other hand, I know nothing about HVAC technology so I can't assume this to be true. Any thoughts??

Talking

quote:
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Relatively few low-income families actually ever purchase or own a central air conditioner, a product that costs between $2,000 and $5,000.

If you read down to the bottom you will find that they got their information from Goodman Manufacturing, so if anything those prices may be a bit high. LOL.
    The obvious is obvious

In our area, a 3 ton 13 SEER will save about $30 a year over a 10 SEER. Most of our 13 SEER units are about a $600 premium over their 10 SEER predecesor. So in 20 years at today's rates which have held very steady over the last 10+ years, people will break even. Hmmmmm, good investment!

All those in the southern climates who don't see what we northerners are *****ing about, just think if the government banned 80% furnaces and you had to sell only 90s in the warm areas. Same principle!

Yea, 13s will be coming down as things balance out. Right now some of our brands are very steep. The low end units will steal alot of the sales. The bigges will change when they see what they are losing.

Personally I dont see any prices coming down, there is less wholesale margin in HVAC equipment than just about any other product you can buy. The costs are what they are.