Thread: Carrier AC

A few years back I had a new Carrier furnace and AC installed. I have had a problem with the house being cooled down but not enough humidity being taken out of the air. It's a 2.5 ton unit and my house is 1750 sq ft. I have a Carrier thermidistat control. The unit will cool the house down but the humidity stays around 65%-70%. Is there something I can do to get the humidity down more? The furnace is a Carrier Infinity variable speed two stage unit. The AC is a single stage unit(38TXA030---3).

2.5 ton on 1750 sq.'? probably would not work in a climate like Houston,Tx. and you may not have enough coil surface area for sufficent latent removal just a guess but could very well be a part of your issue. What is the average run time to cool down your home?
    __________________________________________________ _______________________
    “Experience is a hard teacher because she gives the test first, the lesson afterwards". - Vernon Law

"Never let success go to your head, and never let failure go to your heart". - Unknown

Office and warehouse in both Crystal River & New Port Richey ,FL
    Could be oversized or a lot of infiltraion of outside air.

More likely is they missed something in the 17 plus steps to configure the Thermidistat properly.Could also have set the board up wrong ,or the jumper on the board.

What do you set the relative humidty at,and what cooling temperature ??

That system should wok great to dehumidify,but too often they are not set up properly.

Originally posted by dash
    Could be oversized
    Yea that was my original thought I had a typo sorry probably should have a 1.5 ton.
    __________________________________________________ _______________________
    “Experience is a hard teacher because she gives the test first, the lesson afterwards". - Vernon Law

"Never let success go to your head, and never let failure go to your heart". - Unknown

Do you have a variable speed blower? Regardless, could be moving too much air. If variable, do they have the thermidistat set to slow the blower in times of high humidity? Also don't run the blower constantly.

mrbillpro,
    Right off hand I don't know what the run time is for the unit.

dash,
    I have a real tight house. Had a guy come in last year and set up a blower door to check out the house for air infiltration. He told me the place was real tight except I could use a little more sealing around the perimeter boxing on top of my cellar walls. I did that.
    Is there somewhere I can get the 17 steps to run through to set up the thermidistat?
    Dito on the board set up also and the jumper. Can you elaborate a little more?
    I set RH at 50% and temp at 70 deg.

BaldLoonie,
    Yes I have a variable speed blower.
    How do you set up the blower to slow down in times of high humidity?

Office and warehouse in both Crystal River & New Port Richey ,FL
    I believe all the choices(approx. 17 or more) are in the instalation instructions.

They are written descriptions of various function to turn on or off,etc. ,etc..It can be confusing even for a Pro.

We use a printed list so our guys set them up the same everytime.This is in Florida and for heat pumps ,not gas heat.

I think you would be better to call the installing contracor and have them double check their setup,and do a check and clean on the equipment.just be sure to ask them to send somene very familar with the Thermidistat.

dash,
    I think I remember some of that info from when I went over the manual for the thermidistat. I'll pull it out and go back over it. As for the installer, I would not call him back to do anything. He did NOTHING with the thermidistat. I got suspect about the set up myself and found he had not wired the thermidistat to it's fullest. I had to run another harness to complete the wiring per the wiring diagram for my equipment. I guess the original harness was all he wanted to bother with since he then would not have to run another one. I found out from another board member on this site that the logic in the board was controling the second stage for heat because the wire to control the second stage from the thermidistat was never hooked up. There was one other wire that was not hooked up either. I don't remember which one it was now but I had to run the wire and pull a jumper off the board to activate the function. This installer is a Carrier dealer. I shudder to think of how many people there are out there that have an installation by him that are not set up correctly. What do these people do if they don't have the inclination or the know how to check out a HVAC installation that is not working right?