I am in the process of evaluating proposals from builders for a house we want to build near Pinehurst, NC. The house is a 2,400 sq ft one level home, over a 2,000 sq ft unfinished basement. The heat pumps that they are quoting are Lennox 13 SEER models. Would it be better to consider a two stage HP like the Lennox HPX16? How much more expensive are they to install? Do they keep the house more comfortable? Any help would be appreciated.

2 stage with a variable speed air handler and deluxe control like the Signature stat will make for a more comfortable house plus cut the juice bills. Besides temperature comfort, they can control summer humidity better. How much $? Ask the dealer.

If you stay with the 13 SEER, find out which one you are getting. The Merit 13 builder model is a rather cheaply built unit. If that's what they plan on, ask about an upgrade to the Elite series.

comfort and energy saving is what they are about

istallation cost isnt much different, but equipment cost is

and maintenance might be or might not be...

Originally posted by jpmkam
    I am in the process of evaluating proposals from builders for a house we want to build near Pinehurst, NC. The house is a 2,400 sq ft one level home, over a 2,000 sq ft unfinished basement. The heat pumps that they are quoting are Lennox 13 SEER models. Would it be better to consider a two stage HP like the Lennox HPX16? How much more expensive are they to install? Do they keep the house more comfortable? Any help would be appreciated.
    The two stage systems set up properly are more effect at humidity control, but are unable to remove without significant cooling load. Put a good dehumidifier in that basement for <50%RH to potiental mold growth. Units like the Santa Fe/Ultra-Aire supplement the humidity control of the Whole house during no/low cooling, wet times. TB

The builder gave me a new price to upgrade to the HPX16 HP which would be mated with the CBX32MV-060 variable speed air handler and a SIGNATURE STAT THERMOSTADT. How much effect does a variable speed air handler over a single speed air handler.

Thanks

That is the system that I recommended today to a very good friend for a house that he has a contract on. He is very demanding, and I think that he will be happy with it. That is also the equipment that I will replace my system with (except dual fuel)
    Licensing laws are tough, and it's about time.

Talking VS= Premium

e a new price to upgrade to the HPX16 HP which would be mated with the CBX32MV-060 variable speed air handler and a SIGNATURE STAT THERMOSTADT.

How much effect does a variable speed air handler over a single speed air handler.
    VS = Quiet + Proper Air Distribution with
    ____ MUCH stonger blower motor.

Designer Dan
    It's Not Rocket Science, But It is SCIENCE with "Some Art". ___ ___ K EEP I T S IMPLE & S INCERE

Define the Building Envelope and Perform a Detailed Load Calc: It's ALL About Windows and Make-up Air Requirements. Know Your Equipment Capabilities

The builder gave me a new price to upgrade to the HPX16 HP which would be mated with the CBX32MV-060 variable speed air handler and a SIGNATURE STAT THERMOSTADT. How much effect does a variable speed air handler over a single speed air handler.

Thanks
    Two speed outside unit requires a variable speed inside unit. Why? Because you will over air the inside coil when the outside unit is running in low speed. I don't believe you will have good humidity control with a single speed air handler while the outside unit unit is running on low speed. This is what Lennox was teaching in their fall dealer training.
    Beware of advice given by some guy on the Internet.

First off many thanks to all those who have responded to my questions. What are some things I should look for/ask the builder regarding the install of the system ductwork and returns. I know to be effective a the system has to be sealed properly.

Thanks again.