Talking

hey guys im new to this forum so i just wanted to intoduce my self first and formost.... im jerry in the bay rea, cali.....22 years old and a rookie.....i recenly graduated from a local tech school and started my first job as an a/c tech last week. so i been doin service calls, mostly furnaces, this whole week and its been pretty ez, untill yesterday...i got a few of these fujitsu ductless split systems, that im supposed to test.these things only work through a remote control, so when i put it in cooling mode, the indoor motor starts and runs, but on the roof, the condensor and compressors dont start.im getting plenty of volatage to the cirquit board where the condensor and compressor are housed, but nothing starts. ok so i test it in heat mode and booom!!! the compressor and condensors turn on. (its a heat pump by the way with 2 compressors and 2 4way valves)so anyways, i decide to charge the sucker with r22. gotta do it through the low side cuz they dont give u a high side service port, only for the low side.so i start chargin with vapor and soon as i shoot it with vapor, the compressor just dies!! then it tries to start its self and dies again.....did i doo something wrong?? i didnt think there was anything wrong with charging with vapor while the unit was on....and why wont it start the compressors and condensor on cooling mode??ANY help would be appreciated....remember im just a rookie

heres a link to the fujitsu website so u guys can see what units im talkin bout!!..thanx

http://www.fujitsugeneral.com/wallmounted.htm

Hmmm, what made you think it was low on charge.

Haven't worked on one for a while, but don't they have an ambient sensor that locks out the A/C, when it too cool out.

If you have it over charged, then thats what is causing it not to start in heat any more.

What method did you use to determine it was low on charge, did you find a leak?
    Contractor locator map

How-to-apply-for-Professional

How many times must one fix something before it is fixed?

i appreciate the response.....well its a new unit, just installed, so my boss asked me to test the unit out.. it was pressured with nitrogen by the installers for over two weeks.....i purged the nitrogen out the unit so obviously there were no leaks, so i evacuated and charged vapor through the lowside..since there is no high side service port, i cant check head presure so i charged it to bout 60 psi on the low side. then the compressor shut itsself off..im not used to charging through vapor.. only liquid and using a scale, so i dont know what i did wrong.was i not suppose to charge it while the unit was on?? as far as the ambient sensor, im not too sure about that...this is my first time working on these, but its been about 50 degrees with rain here in cali so i dont know if thats cold enough to lock out the system. i just dont get why it only works in heat mode and not in cooling and why the compressor shut it self off...even after i charged it, i recovered the freon, and re evacuated...i then tested the system in heat mode again with no pressure and the compressor sitll only ran for about 1 minute , then shut it self off......god i dont wanna get fired from my first tech job after only one week...that would suck!!

i had almost the same prob. it was not on fuj, another brand, i talked to tech. support over 10 times and never really got a good answer. in the end i pulled 3 units out and shipped back to supplier. dont know if this helps. 50 deg should NOT lock the amb. switch out. after i vaced system down, and relesed r-22 i had to wait for power to start uits up. when i came back a week later onr of the units was bone dry no freon, no leaks, no screws through line set. i talked to tech support and they said " if pressure gets high it has a blast port that will evacuate system. " that sounded funny ( and illegal ) to me. anybody else delt with this??

xandair thats an intersting story.....i tried calling the tech support number that was on the install manual but it was not a valid number

did you remember to open the valves?

Originally posted by surrill

heres a link to the fujitsu website so u guys can see what units im talkin bout!!..thanx

http://www.fujitsugeneral.com/wallmounted.htm

[/B]
    Model # Please. Most splits come precharged except for additional refg for line set runs over 25 feet.