I have a patient-care facility building where Ruud 90+ Achiever furnaces were installed. Whoever did the condensate line from the pvc flue pipe leaving the furnace housing started out with pvc piping (1/2")and ended up in a horizontal run where it was switched to copper (no condensate pump is involved; only gravity). The length of this copper pipe run varies with each furnace (the minimum length being approximately 14 feet) but it terminates in a storm drain. These units were installed in the attic of the building. I contacted Ruud and they didn't me a bonafide answer.
    Question: Will the acidic condensate rot the copper piping over time? I have only used pvc drain line piping on any high efficiency furnace I ever installed, so this install raised a possible red flag. Don't ask about local building codes, this is a government project. Oh yeah, no neutralizer device was installed either.
    Anybody have any experience with what may take place down the road if left this way?

Yes, had a call once where the cond. for the upstairs furnace was tied into copper which ran down the wall to the basement sump pump. It deteriorated the copper and caused several leaks. They had to cut out a section of the wall and ceiling so it could be replaced with 3/4 pvc.

The 3/4 in copper was so thin in parts that I could smash it like alum. foil. this was where it developed several pin sized holes.

[Edited by coolwhip on 03-08-2006 at 01:48 PM]
    "Politicians are the lowest form of life on Earth. Liberal Democrats are the lowest form of politician"

- General George S. Patton