Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 13 of 16

Thread: Week off

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    Central Florida
    Posts
    892

    Week off

    So I have this week off, due to plant shut down, and outside of reading up on HVAC stuff, I have no idea what to do with myself if I'm not working. I miss the days of being a kid when I could always think up something to do.

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Posts
    2,753
    Go to home depot and buy some stuff.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    Central Florida
    Posts
    892
    Quote Originally Posted by toocoolforschool View Post
    Go to home depot and buy some stuff.
    If only I had the money. The week off is burning the last of my vacation time. Most of the rest of it was burned losing mondays thoughout alot of the last 2-3 months.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Posts
    2,753
    Burning mondays from lack of work or hangovers?

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    Central Florida
    Posts
    892
    Quote Originally Posted by toocoolforschool View Post
    Burning mondays from lack of work or hangovers?
    I don't drink. Lack of work. Plant was closed the majority of mondays due to lack of orders. Management has been laying it at the feet of the election.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Posts
    2,753
    Good time to look for new job.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    Central Florida
    Posts
    892
    Quote Originally Posted by toocoolforschool View Post
    Good time to look for new job.
    Went and got my epa 608 cert done this week. Actually once I get my card I need to apply for pro so that I can get access to the educatianal forums on here.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Atlanta GA area
    Posts
    21,724
    If I had time off... I would find something around the house to resolve... there are always things to fix/clean, etc.

    Good plan on getting into the Pro section and reading up at the Education forums. Also might look at Building Science forums (again behind the pro door)... lots if interesting stuff there!
    GA-HVAC-Tech

    Quality work at a fair price with excellent customer service!

    Romans Ch's 5-6-7-8

    2 Chronicles 7:14

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    Central Florida
    Posts
    892
    Quote Originally Posted by ga-hvac-tech View Post
    If I had time off... I would find something around the house to resolve... there are always things to fix/clean, etc.

    Good plan on getting into the Pro section and reading up at the Education forums. Also might look at Building Science forums (again behind the pro door)... lots if interesting stuff there!
    Did most of that stuff earlier in the week. I rent not own so alot of it I can't touch myself and the company that manages our house can be picky to deal with.

    Monday, Did all of the yard work.
    Tuesday, Went to supply house and took EPA exam. That thing is a farce. Changed oil in car and looked at brakes and other fluids.
    Wensday. Dead from bordom. Pooked at some video games that used to interest me but don't realy any more
    Thurday. Figured out I would rather be working then not.

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Atlanta GA area
    Posts
    21,724
    Quote Originally Posted by Elfshadow View Post
    Did most of that stuff earlier in the week. I rent not own so alot of it I can't touch myself and the company that manages our house can be picky to deal with.

    Monday, Did all of the yard work.
    Tuesday, Went to supply house and took EPA exam. That thing is a farce. Changed oil in car and looked at brakes and other fluids.
    Wensday. Dead from bordom. Pooked at some video games that used to interest me but don't realy any more
    Thurday. Figured out I would rather be working then not.
    How about a day in the country... 'Tis the season for fall colors... sometimes a change of scenery is good. Then again... there is usually some interesting scenery at the local mall... <grin>.
    I usually do the fall colors thingy on a weekday so the crowds are not there. My hobby is photography (own more camera gear than the cost of a new car)... I prefer to do landscape photography when the crowds are somewhere else.

    A hobby is a good thing... diverts attention away from being too single minded... and for me refreshes my mind to be more productive when I go back to work.

    BTW: Understand and agree with video games not being interesting anymore.
    You can come over and clean out my van for me... <grin>
    GA-HVAC-Tech

    Quality work at a fair price with excellent customer service!

    Romans Ch's 5-6-7-8

    2 Chronicles 7:14

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    Central Florida
    Posts
    892
    Quote Originally Posted by ga-hvac-tech View Post
    How about a day in the country... 'Tis the season for fall colors... sometimes a change of scenery is good. Then again... there is usually some interesting scenery at the local mall... <grin>.
    I usually do the fall colors thingy on a weekday so the crowds are not there. My hobby is photography (own more camera gear than the cost of a new car)... I prefer to do landscape photography when the crowds are somewhere else.

    A hobby is a good thing... diverts attention away from being too single minded... and for me refreshes my mind to be more productive when I go back to work.

    BTW: Understand and agree with video games not being interesting anymore.
    You can come over and clean out my van for me... <grin>

    I would take you up on that, if you agreed to pay me in tools and meters.

    Probably do some work on my familes comps the rest of the week. Sisters are always bugging me to clean their virus's or what not.

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Atlanta GA area
    Posts
    21,724
    Quote Originally Posted by Elfshadow View Post
    I would take you up on that, if you agreed to pay me in tools and meters.

    Probably do some work on my familes comps the rest of the week. Sisters are always bugging me to clean their virus's or what not.
    Ahhh, a 'cyber nerd'... LOL. I lost my IT guy last year.. guy moved away. I need to find one around here.

    Off to run some calls... have a new customer with vending machines (healthy products both refrigerated and non-perishable). Atlanta is mostly an AC market... so after busy season there is time to do other things. I am getting into (slowly) some small refrigeration stuff.

    Most of the stuff in my van is expensive enough you would need to work 3-4 days as general labor to earn one of them used... The van project is really more my area... need to re-organize lots of the space... Believe it or not, with a LWB Chevy 1 ton... I am running out/space inside. Need to get rid of stuff I do not use regularly.
    GA-HVAC-Tech

    Quality work at a fair price with excellent customer service!

    Romans Ch's 5-6-7-8

    2 Chronicles 7:14

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    Central Florida
    Posts
    892
    Quote Originally Posted by ga-hvac-tech View Post
    Ahhh, a 'cyber nerd'... LOL. I lost my IT guy last year.. guy moved away. I need to find one around here.

    Off to run some calls... have a new customer with vending machines (healthy products both refrigerated and non-perishable). Atlanta is mostly an AC market... so after busy season there is time to do other things. I am getting into (slowly) some small refrigeration stuff.

    Most of the stuff in my van is expensive enough you would need to work 3-4 days as general labor to earn one of them used... The van project is really more my area... need to re-organize lots of the space... Believe it or not, with a LWB Chevy 1 ton... I am running out/space inside. Need to get rid of stuff I do not use regularly.

    Yeah, in my misspent youth, I was trying for a computer science degree. Wish I had stuck with it although I think hvac will be more sutible to keeping my interest. I actually find computer programing logic training to be very useful in figuring out wiring and troubleshooting the more complex systems. There is not much difference in tracking down a programing error, and faulty equipment/wiring issue. Troubleshoting is actually quite fun.

    IT work would pay well, but be boring. No where near as engaging as programing. This is one of the reasons I want access to the educational part of the site. The controls side of HVAC that I have seen seems like it would be neat to learn.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Comfortech Show Promo Image

Related Forums

Plumbing Talks | Contractor Magazine
Forums | Electrical Construction & Maintenance (EC&M) Magazine
Comfortech365 Virtual Event