Missing Ductwork?
    I bought a new home (new construction) last year. At the time, we opted to have the "rough-in" for future air conditining done, but wanted to wait to finish and add the condensers until we could afford it better. We are now about to do that. The heat in the house is all baseboard. I just noticed for the first time that the builder added all the duct work and vents on the first floor and in the unfinished "bonus room" over the garage, but their are not any vents in the second floor bedrooms. When we asked the builder, they indicated that they do not normally do that as part of a rough-in, the final ductwork in the attic and the 2nd floor vents would be added during the final install. Does this make sense or did I get short-changed by the builder on the rough-in?

doesnt make sense in my world. Who would want to work in a finished house doing a rough, cutting sheetrock cleaning up, doing all the things that are easy when walls are open ? Are u sure u paid for the 2nd floor rough in ?

We definately paid for full AC rough-in - it's in the contract. And, the builder isn't saying we didn't pay for it, they are saying, basically, that this is how they do it. The bonus unfinished bonus room is also on the 2nd floor (through a door at the end of the hall) and it is fully ducted. My wife talked to them and they indicated that it had something to do with heat loss - which doesn't make sense to me.

I have seen just as your builder described once or twice. In other words, all "rough-in" ductwork is described as piping runs that will forever be sealed up behind finished sheetrock EXCEPT through-the-ceiling attic outlets. This supposedly avoids heat loss through attic terminations during the winter before they are linked into the future system's ductwork.
    Good or bad, Im not saying, but this seems to be the norm in my experience.

It's easy enough to add the ceiling cut-ins from the attic anyway. The logic is that, there would be no ductwork (ie., piping) anyhow, only the transitions (8" X 8", 10" X 10" etc)in the ceiling until a correctly sized AC system is added. Ductwork sizing will reflect the systems capacity, which in turn is sized custom to the home's heat gain.