+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 54 FirstFirst 123456789101353 ... LastLast

Thread: Stupidest Service Call you've run!!!

Post Likes
    Yesterday. No heat residential. I go to the T-stat, room is 70, setting is 60. I turn it to 72, system turns on.

"How did you do that???????"

Post Likes
    calls I didn't go on-

can I run my vacuum cleaner over the floor registers- it won't collapse the duct or damage the heater, will it? (kinda makes sense, they both suck air, right?)

I need you to look at the heat
    sure, its more for after hours
    but you have 24 hour service
    yes, but its more at night
    but you have 24 hour service...
    Col 3:23

questions asked, answers received, ignorance abated

Post Likes
    Here is several of the same one.

We installed a new furnace/heat pump system with the furnace in the crawl space. To make it easy we put a filter rack in the return duct so they didn't have to take off furnace doors. 3 months later we get a no heat call, nothing runs. They had changed the filter and not got the blower door back on right {they looked there before taking off the door to the filter rack in the duct}

Three months later, no heat nothing runs, same thing, tech tells them to leave the furnace doors alone the filter is in the duct.

Three months later no cooling, nothing runs. Can you guess?

We went on this same call 6 times before they finally figured it out.

Post Likes
    The fact that I had to use my flashlight to find the breaker panel would have been my first clue.

Post Likes

Wink

Quote Originally Posted by kls-ccc View Post

We installed a new furnace/heat pump system with the furnace in the crawl space. To make it easy we put a filter rack in the return duct so they didn't have to take off furnace doors. 3 months later we get a no heat call, nothing runs. They had changed the filter and not got the blower door back on right {they looked there before taking off the door to the filter rack in the duct}

Three months later, no heat nothing runs, same thing, tech tells them to leave the furnace doors alone the filter is in the duct.

no amount of planning can overcome a ignorant attention-less handicap!
    catch a man a fish , feed him for a day.
    teach a man to fish , ruin a good business opportunity.

Post Likes
    Had a call, the meeting room was freezing cold. Had 30 of our most brightest executives in the room, some with Ph'ds. Flip the little switch on the side of the thermostat from cool to heat.

Get calls when the temperature drops, that the AC is blowing cold air on them, find the top double hung window. they opened a couple of weeks ago, is open at the top.

My computer tripped the circuit breaker and now I can't work. We know they had a heater plugged into the surge strip.

Got a call in the middle of the night from security, Chiller was making a terrible racket. Get there and noticed a 1/4 of the street lights are on, they lost power and one of the Gen sets that is 15 feet away, from the Chiller, is running normally.

We are freezing / roasting, can we go home? The temperature is 72 F. Also it was freezing / roasting a minute ago, did you do something before you arrived? So can we go home because the temperature isn't right? The thermometer that's on this free calendar, is much more accurate than your + $400 worth of Fluke instruments.

Soda pop dripped out of the AC vent, after finding Sprite on the floor.

I wasn't Smoking in the private handicap restroom, the smoke alarm just decided to go crazy while I was in there!!

The top one, I have a medical condition and I have to burn scented candles in the office. "Haven't you ever heard of 'Aroma Therapy'."

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by kls-ccc View Post

After the second, I would have written on the furnace, "no filter here, look in return grill".
    Col 3:23

questions asked, answers received, ignorance abated

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by billygoat22 View Post
    After the second, I would have written on the furnace, "no filter here, look in return grill".
    and written on the filter rack door, FILTER HERE.

also, screwed the doors to the furnace, you know they had no tools with them.
    The Food Stamp Program, administered by the U.S. Department of Agriculture, is proud to be distributing the greatest amount of free meals and stamps EVER.
    Meanwhile, the National Park Service, administered by the U.S. Department of the Interior, asks us to "Please Do Not Feed the Animals". Their stated reason for this policy "... the animals become dependent on handouts and will not learn to take care of themselves."
    from an excerpt by Paul Jacob in Sun City, AZ

Post Likes
    I also do maintenance for apartments. I once went on a call that the shower curtain rod I shrunk. I went there and twisted the rod it stayed up. The renter asked me how I did that. I told them we had some rod stretchers.

Post Likes
    I had a guy selling his house and the home inspector was there and said the furnace wasnt heating properly. I got there and dropped my thermometer in a few ducts and was like yup, no good! Grabbed the liquid line on the coil and said gee wonder why the ac is running. Walked downstairs and saw the aftermarket t'stat.. found out why.. Asked the homeowner.. so how long have you had that up there, he says about a year. After he explained some of his 1k dollar electric bills, I laughed at them both.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by lmci View Post
    I also do maintenance for apartments. I once went on a call that the shower curtain rod I shrunk. I went there and twisted the rod it stayed up. The renter asked me how I did that. I told them we had some rod stretchers.
    I always say its a trick I learned in the war.Everyone immediatly says what war? Then I just laugh. Never been in military.When im training someone I use it alot.Ill say let me show you a trick I learned in the war.Gets their attention fast.

Post Likes
    having to drive an hour to a no heat call only to find the stat was "off" .. that was a recent one.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by Cooked View Post
    Probably not the stupidest, but....... About a month ago, a no cooling "emergency". I found this. Look closely.

Attachment 232791 Attachment 232801
    Hmmmmm, kinda looks like something might be missing here!

Post Likes
    So how many of us have written up 'repaired broken electrical connection' to cover for the employee that did not make sure the unit was plugged in before calling the service company????? I write that service ticket at least twice a year........

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by chrldwlf View Post
    So how many of us have written up 'repaired broken electrical connection' to cover for the employee that did not make sure the unit was plugged in before calling the service company????? I write that service ticket at least twice a year........
    lol

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by chrldwlf View Post
    Rookie, thats a turned off disconnect after an inspection.
    You sure are cocky for a starving pilgrim.

Post Likes
    I had someone steal a brand new Carrier condensing unit from a Dr's office. Boss gave me a rash of S--- before I went out there. Found out it was gone and had a little fun with the boss trouble shooting the problem over the phone. He never did figure it out, had to finally tell him it was stolen. Always wondered what they did with a 3 phase, residential looking unit.

Orange County, in a Galaxy far far away...
    Post Likes
    This week,

1) Lady calls in a panic house is freezing cold and the unit just blows lukewarm/cold ish air.

Get there to find t-stat in the FAN ON position...

I then spent 20 minutes failing to explain to her the auto vs ON position.

2) Customer called saying there was heat but very little airflow then unit would shut off.
    Get there to find no problems with the high limit switch or other safeties, motor, duct work is clean and spotless.
    It even smelled nice...

Hang on a sec...

Yeah, I had to break open the filter grill, looked up the air box and found several years worth of dryer sheets wadded up together at the turn before the duct hit the furnace.
    She then confessed to putting 1 sheet in a month to keep the ductwork smelling nice...

I ended up using my eletrical fishing pole to unclog the sheets.

15 minutes and $110 later and she was beetroot red from embarrasment.
    You cannot cheat an honest man. But that doesn't stop people trying!

Post Likes
    The Ho Wah calls and says "Kenny, come quick. Air Crdishner sruck by rightning.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by billygoat22 View Post
    It was written on the slide gate "FILTER 16x25x1" Don't know how much planner than that you can get, especially after showing them.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 54 FirstFirst 123456789101353 ... LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in