Page 26 of 48 FirstFirst ... 1619202122232425262728293031323336 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by ComfortablyNumb View Post
    Anytime I hear the engineer bit I usually respond with something borderline smartass. Of course it depends on their attitude and what they say... and I used to bite my tongue. But. One can only take so much.

But yeah pretty much a textbook post there... and I thought I was the only one that applied special dbag charges.

If only they knew.... you can catch more bees with honey.
    They are the living embodiment of narcissism, along with most rich people. It's like "wow, congratulations, you did something thousands of others have done: graduate college. Amazing. So basically your just following the text book others previously designed/invented/racked their brains to uncover the mysteries of science to come up with. What a accomplishment. So why exactly weren't YOU responsible for coming up with the process for cold fission fusion?"

To me, when they treat you like you don't know what your doing(after calling for your services?), it's the equivalent of taunting your waiter at restaurant: your begging him/her to spit in your entree before being served.

In 1994 I was retrofitting a supermarket from R12/502 to 22 as a stop gap before closing the store. I had a leak on an existing compressor oil line causing a freezer case to get warm and one of the young asst mgrs wanted to observe, no problem. Added 2 gallons of oil and 100# or so of refrigerant to the system while the asst was busy handling customers back and forth. After the system was up and running he asked me to explain what I did so he could tell the gm. About a month later he calls my home phone at 2:30 am, frantic, "you gotta help me, right away!!!" Long story short-the case had gotten stuck in defrost, he thought it needed more oil, was attempting to add some 30W Penzoil, but when he unscrewed the plug in the side of the 30hp compressor, all this "blue smoke" came out and got him all oiley. I never did find the plug!

Quote Originally Posted by Helioson View Post
    In 1994 I was retrofitting a supermarket from R12/502 to 22 as a stop gap before closing the store. I had a leak on an existing compressor oil line causing a freezer case to get warm and one of the young asst mgrs wanted to observe, no problem. Added 2 gallons of oil and 100# or so of refrigerant to the system while the asst was busy handling customers back and forth. After the system was up and running he asked me to explain what I did so he could tell the gm. About a month later he calls my home phone at 2:30 am, frantic, "you gotta help me, right away!!!" Long story short-the case had gotten stuck in defrost, he thought it needed more oil, was attempting to add some 30W Penzoil, but when he unscrewed the plug in the side of the 30hp compressor, all this "blue smoke" came out and got him all oiley. I never did find the plug!
    OK,,I just blew coffee all over my Chistmas Laptop!!!!!!!
    One way to outthink people is to make them think you think. They'll think you're not really thinking what you're trying to get them to think you think...........

Thats the "Anti-Oil Contamination" feature at work. DIY is a listed mental condition in the American Society of Psychiatry...

Not the stupidest, but one of the weirdest. My dad and I, years ago (many years ago) went on a call where a handicapped man had some trouble with his electrical and appliances. As it turned out, lightening had hit his power box inside on the porch with old glass fuses. Well the power box had to be open we assumed, as it blew one of the fuses out of the box, broke a window coming into the kitchen, hit the refrigerator door and dented it well. Then as it bounced off the refrigerator it broke the clock timer on his wall oven then broke another kitchen window on its way out into the yard. Well to make sure that didn't happen again we updated his power panel with a breaker box.

Got a no heat call on a new aaon unit that was over 5 hrs away. So we drive to the other side of the state and when we get there we talk to the manager of the building and he tells us that it has never worked right. So we go up and take a look at the unit. Come to find out when they installed and started up the unit they never set the ac dip switches properly. So we drive a total of 11 hrs to flip a dip switch.

Quote Originally Posted by ronbo57 View Post
    Not the stupidest, but one of the weirdest. My dad and I, years ago (many years ago) went on a call where a handicapped man had some trouble with his electrical and appliances. As it turned out, lightening had hit his power box inside on the porch with old glass fuses. Well the power box had to be open we assumed, as it blew one of the fuses out of the box, broke a window coming into the kitchen, hit the refrigerator door and dented it well. Then as it bounced off the refrigerator it broke the clock timer on his wall oven then broke another kitchen window on its way out into the yard. Well to make sure that didn't happen again we updated his power panel with a breaker box.
    That reminds me of the time I was training with a sparky, we were at a Shopping mall to figure out why there lights weren't working in the parking lot. We went in the electrical room and noticed the cover for the panel across the room. If I remember right it was 277 or 480 but manually pushed the contacter in and I heard this very loud buzz so I jumped out of the way and the panel just exploded! That scarred the **** out of me lol

Arrived at a house for a call where the only description of problem given was the AC wasnt working properly. Thermostat is set at 85 I begin to turn the thermostat down and the sweet lil ol lady that lived there says "No dont do that, when you do that it gets cold in here!"

These are some great stories, Thank you for that.

In school i am always hearing common stories like these, Usually, no Line voltage, gas meters locked or T-Stats switched to the off position.

Definately going to keep an eye out for them issues on down the road.

Thanks for sharing, lots of great stories here.

Went out on a No Heat call to a service agreement customer that I had just serviced the month before. It was just before Christmas and they had heavily decorated the house. Checked t-stat and all ok. Went to gas furnace and found tripping limit. Pulled filter and it was black from soot. After talking to customer, found that they had been burning lots of candles.

I have seen this problem about five different times in the last ten years.

the dumbest call I have gone on was when I got sent out on a call from my dispatcher, on a Sunday, afternoon, its was a no cool.. So I head out drive about a half hour, and arrive at this house that has a ancient old lady in it.

Ring the doorbell, she opens the door in a robe and some old 1950's looking make-up, I am cringing at this point. She takes me into her house and points at WHAT she is calling the AC controller..

It was a alarm control panel, it said NO A/C. Come to find out the alarm had no power or some crap..

Not to mention she stiffed me on the service call charge as well.. The company I worked for was and still are crooks, who abuse their employee's making service techs commissioned based employee's, so I really got stiffed.. Got no percentage of the ticket.. Not only was the old lady unaware, the dispatcher was stupid as crap for sending me out on a call like that or just lazy...

Another dumb arse call I ran was when I ran a call about 45 mins away again on a Sunday, or something stupid, client complaining that a/c not working, after touching the ac cabinet and shocking the crap outta myself, and messing with some old fuse box, I determined some rodent chewed thru the 120 high voltage wire for the laundry room light fixture and it was touching the PLENUM box...

I have some other dumb stories but those two come to mind at the moment..

Went on a No Cool way out in the sticks.

Customer says it wasn't cooling well and they cleaned to condenser. Went through normal indoor checks... Then went to condenser. When I saw the pressure washer setting there thought to myself, this can't be good.

Yes they used the pressure washer to clean the condenser coil. At least it was on a 25 year old side discharge condenser. Maybe 6 SEER. Got the sales guy out.

Had one yesterday, no heat/furnace making noise. Bryant 90i. Found inducer making a racket. Pulled exhaust vent and found 47 golf balls and 3 matchbox cars...gotta love 3yr old boys.

This one more sad then funny... no cool call. Old man lets me in and explained problem. I go downstairs to check filter. Come back up ( maybe 2 min later ) old man doesn't know who I am or why I'm in his house and calls the police.

Page 26 of 48 FirstFirst ... 1619202122232425262728293031323336 ... LastLast