Page 19 of 43 FirstFirst ... 912131415161718192021222324252629 ... LastLast
    because i work in a supply house, my customers are a little different than most of yours. you would think that this would be a good thing. i like the ones, and there were a few, that brought in the tops of the condensors that had been smashed when ice fell off of the roof, then get mad at me when i tell them that that is not a warranty issue.

George,
    The furnace was located outside. I typically don't go inside because I can jump the furnace with a jumper wire instead of turning on in the house.

Quote Originally Posted by George Fernandez View Post
    It didn't occur that there was no lights to use, no digital clock displays, no TV's on?
    Not trying to slam just making common sense observations.

Got a service for unit not making Ice.. found out, water valve was shut off.. loll...

Had a call last summer for a condenser with the fan not working. Customer went out and confirmed the fan not working. We get there, tv antenna next to ac unit had a wire come off and get into the fan. Pulled it out and been working fine every since. Not sure how he didn't see it.

Quote Originally Posted by kingkaiko2002 View Post
    George,
    The furnace was located outside. I typically don't go inside because I can jump the furnace with a jumper wire instead of turning on in the house.
    So if it were a bad thermostat? Or broken thermostat wire? Mis-wired thermostat? (i have run into customers changing their own t-stat and mis- wired them, resulting in a no heat call.) I have gotten away from just jumping out the furnace. Used to do that as a newbie. Now,I usually verify operation of the thermostat, with a no heat call. Time is valuable, once it is gone you will never get it back.
    When all is said and done this should have been fixed from the dispatchers chair. Simple questions that are asked before sending someone out can save your company on wasted trips.
    Surprised to see this happen at a few companies I have worked for. Common Question not asked.
    Is the t-stat above room temp? Are switches turned on? Are circuit breakers tripped/ fuses blown? Do you have fuel in the tank?(oil heat/propane). Even have heard people calling about no heat in the middle of a area power outage do to a storm.

Had a customer with no heat
    When I walked in the house, I smelled burnt paper and saw the ceiling kinda blackened.
    Asked about it, and the lady said...

We were cold... my husband decided to start a fire
    then proceeded to point out the fireplace in the middle of the living room floor.

Extend to others the grace that God has given you.

Quote Originally Posted by wormy View Post
    Had a customer with no heat
    When I walked in the house, I smelled burnt paper and saw the ceiling kinda blackened.
    Asked about it, and the lady said...

We were cold... my husband decided to start a fire
    then proceeded to point out the fireplace in the middle of the living room floor.

No cool call on Christmas night a couple of years ago 40 degree night.Hello

No heat Christmas morning. He shut the furnace off because the electronic air cleaner was snapping because the humidifer was leaking on it.

Never heard from him before or since.

ice machine yesterday. no production & empty bin. with switch "off" it's kind of hard to produce.

Sent from my HTC Sensation 4G using Tapatalk

Just yesterday: High eff. furnace leaking water all over the floor. Un-plugged the extension cord for the impressive model train set (older couple, no kids in the house) and plugged the condensate pump back in. Husband slipped me $20 to tell the wife that 'a hose had come loose'.

Ended up doing a full service/tune-up as it hadn't been touched since his friend that 'used to do furnaces' put it in. Also booked for venting corrections and duct/filter upgrades. Husband dodged a stay in the doghouse, wife was impressed by my professional workmanship and understandable explanations of the issues I found with proper instruments to prove them. She wouldn't let me leave without taking some homemade butter tarts.

Why can't all 'stupid service calls' turn out like this!
    Where are you? Are you done yet? I got ONE more call for you.....

No power

I had a call awhile back. It was a no heat call, the power switch to the furnace was flipped off. Mom wasn't happy to find her little boy thought it was a light switch!

Had to drive to Secaucus, NJ from Philadelphia, PA for no heat while on Saturday on-call to check an oil furnace that was just worked on Friday by another tech. Evidently, he did a "tune up". I don't do much oil but do know that the oil supply line check valve has an arrow on it to show flow. Tech put check valve in backwards...S**t hit the fan at office the following Monday morning!

No cooling call at 5:00 pm on a Friday in center city Philadelphia at a ritzy dress store, 90 degrees outside...both 5 ton condensers stolen from racks out back of store. "Can you fix today?" Sure, I carry them on my truck.

New Lennox residential system not cooling well, freezing up. Get to call and found that HO had partially blocked the main return grill with a magnetic cover. Complaining that family room diffusers were always wet and that drywall around diffusers had mold. Return was covered because the HO could not stand the rush of air noise the blower was making as unit was flush against other side of wall. (You could see blower if you removed grill--not a ducted return). Nevertheless, removed his cover, checked delta-T across coil and verified blower speed, checked charge, etc.--all ok. Since unit supply temps were so cold (42 degrees and dropping) due to blocked airflow, excessive moisture built up on warm diffusers and leached onto drywall. It took me an hour to explain to HO that you can't choke off the airflow without causing damage to system (and voiding his warranty).

Have had some calls for frozen walk-in cooler evaps because employees were turning off fans while loading cases, but the OD condensers were still running. "It's cold in there!" Wear a coat!!!

Sent out to install 4 new t-stats in a high dollar home on the Main Line. Customer wanted new Aprilaire communicating t-stats with flush-mount remote sensors. Man of the house didn't tell his wife we were coming. Sensors needed to be mounted where old t-stats were located, but AFTER new, expensive wallpaper was hung. Wifey didn't like that idea, left sensors hanging at location after HO signed-off on issue. House was being renovated and we were the last to be told. Evidently, the wallpaper contractor had to redo the areas where the new sensors were installed (ceiling to floor).

Convenience store in Chester county needed walk-in cooler service...a car had crushed the condenser up against the wall overnight and was not noticed until 11:00 am the next day (manager parks her car next to condenser every day--she did not see it at 6:00 am).

Had my NEXTDOOR neighbor come to my home during an area-wide power outage one summer wanting to get his AC working...I shut the door in his face!!!
    Psalm 51:10, 12

Page 19 of 43 FirstFirst ... 912131415161718192021222324252629 ... LastLast