Page 16 of 44 FirstFirst ... 69101112131415161718192021222326 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by smurphy View Post
    I had a call once to come and light a pilot light. I get there and it turns out to be a electric air handler. I kindly told the homeowner that it was electric and It didn't have a pilot light or even has gas. She then started to yell at me and tell me I didn't know what I was talking about and she has had the pilot light lit in the years past. I told her I needed to make a phone call, I got in the van and left. I still remember her face as she was watching me though her window, priceless.
    catch a man a fish , feed him for a day.
    teach a man to fish , ruin a good business opportunity.

Had a contract with an elderly housing community...Where they live independently in little apartments.
    Service call- No heat. Early fall. Lady was complaining that it was incredibly cold in their.
    Show up, and she never turned the stat to "Heat"....
    Or
    Service call- No heat. Turned "Fan Only" on instead of "Heat"

Went to a rental house no heat and couldn't find anything wrong. Went back again, no problem found. Third time there, customers pissed, running perfectly. After trying to not make myself look too incompetent and explain that there just wasn't anything wrong i could see, as i walked up the stairs i turned off the light switch to the basement and heard the furnace shutoff.....

Some bonehead had wired the furnace into the basement light circuit!

what about when the customer has the thermostat set at 40 and thinks the unit should be supplying 40 degree supply air.

beeping noise started after a service agreement, customer was pissed until I told him that the sound was from the smoke alarm battery then he was nice trying to not get charged for the OT.

a couple of years ago i had a call in miami beach after a big storm. every street was flooded. there was no power anywhere. I walked in the house and all the lights where off and this stupid lady wanted her a/c working. this call came in while i was on standby on a sunday. you could imagine how upset I was.

been called to a few that were a/c not working, found the problems to be 18 degrees C on heating to cool or 30 degrees C on cool to heat.

I was working in a supermarket and one of the owners asked if it could take a look at one of their cash drawers, sometimes it wouldn't open sometimes. Figuring it probable just needed oil I said sure I'll take a look. I pulled the drawer out of its housing and found the problem. There was so much cash jammed in the back that the mechanisms could no longer function. At least $200 worth.

I should have told them I would fix it for free if I could keep the problem

I had a guy call me after hours once. Power was out to his home yet he still wanted me to come out...

This is always a classic:
    You knowck on the door, introduce yourself and say that you're there for a no A/C problem. The you ask if the home owner can show you where the unit is. The lady (it has always been some *****y lady in these scenarios) looks at you like you're an idiot and says 'it's around the side of the house' in this voice that lets you know she thinks you're as stupid as she is.

Then you say 'yes but there is an indoor section tha i will need to see also. Can you show me that?'
    to which she replies 'there is no indoor section'
    you insist that there is and finaly determine that it is in the attic. 'Do you know where you attic access is?' you ask.
    'No.' is the reply
    'how long have you lived here?'
    '5 years'
    At this point you get your just payback and charge her a hundred or so dollars for a 16x25 throw away filter.

I get these women all the time and i guess becasue they have never had to work a day in their lives, they think they are better than you. Not a stupid service call, just a stupid home owner.

Last year got sent out to a 24hr fast food restaurant at 2 AM for walk-in-freezer down, all the food thawed. Sure enough, all the food was soft. Obviously the freezer had been off for a long time.

Check the breaker, its turned off (not tripped!) I tell the manager what the problem is, she said they usually turn it off for inventory. Sad thing is, it was already labeled "DO NOT TURN OFF" on the breaker! I wish I could've charged them double labor instead of just time-and-a-half!

Another one more recently, restaurant called, "Walk-In-Cooler at 65*f" emergency. Ask if they checked breaker, "Yes, breaker is on, fans are running!" They didn't realize the condensing unit had a separate breaker.... Craziest part was, the freezer and cooler condensing units were on the same breaker. What happened is, they had turned off the freezer breaker that morning for inventory and failed to turn it back on. They didn't even realize the freezer was at +35*F and all the ice cream was melted... duhhh..

How long have you been in the trade? That is ELEMENTARY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

here is my strangest service call: so i get to this ladys house on a no heat call. She comes running out of the house and says "I hope you brought your lime." i'm thinking what do i need lime for? i procced to go the basement door, turn on the light and see about a foot of raw sewage floating around in the basement. "i said ma'am not only do you have a plumbing problem......you still have a heating problem" and walked out of the house.

1332conn

My stupidest call had to have been the one where the H/O told me that the fan has been running continuously for five days and would not shut off. The first thing i did was to check the tstat. wouldn't you know it, the fan was set to the on position. the h/o had someone that had come over to help change the filter and had turned the fan switch on but forgot to turn it off. unfortunately for her it still cost a service fee to turn the fan off

Page 16 of 44 FirstFirst ... 69101112131415161718192021222326 ... LastLast