Page 14 of 44 FirstFirst ... 478910111213141516171819202124 ... LastLast
    How about no heat on a straight cool and they never had heat strips to begin with! maybe they forgot!?!?!

had a no heat in the vestibule at the mall 2011
    million square feet mall!
    done the service there forever
    built in 1977

the heaters were never wired and it is 1000 feet to a panel!

Quote Originally Posted by jvillehvac View Post
    How about no heat on a straight cool and they never had heat strips to begin with! maybe they forgot!?!?!
    I WILL SELL WORK,GENERATE BUSINESS, GO GET NEW CUSTOMERS!
    YOU SHUT THE HELL UP AND QUIT RUNNING YOUR MOUTH!

Quote Originally Posted by sunway0924 View Post
    A dad bird &gerbil in the old furnace offered bitter smile...but how come a newly purchased furnace offers burnt gas smell or an exhust smell off it? which is causing my nose and eyes to burn... this does not happen when the wind is blowing...
    Sounds like someone didn't connect the vent pipe to the furnace or it has a break in it. Call and get it looked at before someone is killed.
    “I am for doing good to the poor, but...I think the best way of doing good to the poor, is not making them easy in poverty, but leading or driving them out of it. I observed...that the more public provisions were made for the poor, the less they provided for themselves, and of course became poorer. And, on the contrary, the less was done for them, the more they did for themselves, and became richer.”
    ― Benjamin Franklin

The guy takes the motor apart there, takes the parts he needs to put bearings in, leaves the rest and goes to get bearings. This is a 1/4hp motor

Quote Originally Posted by keeplearnin View Post
    what an idiot. not the op the dude replacing bearings
    Keeplearnin,
    in today's age, with labor costs such as they are, you are correct. On the other hand, the man is a true tech, not just a parts replacer. How many techs are even able to replace the bearings of an electric motor? I just rebuilt a 5 hp motor that is no longer available for about $ in parts and an hour of my time. The cheapest new replacement cost was $$ due to its old frame. Outdated tech skills can be a good thing. )

Quote Originally Posted by riderman View Post
    The guy takes the motor apart there, takes the parts he needs to put bearings in, leaves the rest and goes to get bearings. This is a 1/4hp motor

Keeplearnin,
    in today's age, with labor costs such as they are, you are correct. On the other hand, the man is a true tech, not just a parts replacer. How many techs are even able to replace the bearings of an electric motor? I just rebuilt a 5 hp motor that is no longer available for about $ in parts and an hour of my time. The cheapest new replacement cost was $$ due to its old frame. Outdated tech skills can be a good thing. )
    Please forgive my ignorance for I am new in this feild but isn't it cheaper to buy a quarter horse motor as opposed to rebuilding it? Also wouldn't you be doing a costomer a favor by replacing an outdated 5 hp motor with a new more effeicent motor with a warraty on it instead of taking a chance on your well intentioned repair that may fail prematurly? Your right the days of a tech changing bearings are comming to an end unless it is in house repairs.

another stupid one I ran, last summer with the first company I worked for I had a customer who did ALOT of homework on his unit before calling us, too much and not in the right kind of way homework. Compressor was shot on his system and he told me he knew that when i talked to him about it, he then told me he purchased a compressor on Ebay and had it in his garage and wanted me to replace it. I was very reluctant in doing so I didn't want to put my name on that kind of work had anything happened to it. I explained to the homeowner we don't do that we replace with our own parts especially compressors in case it has a warranty etc. After about a half hour of him going back and forth with me about it, I called my boss and even told him I didn't feel comfortable replacing it with a part we have no knowledge on where it came from, if it was used or not etc. My boss said replace it and if there is anymore problems with it he would personally go out and deal with it. It was partially part of the reason i left the company because I felt pressured on both sides to do a job I didn't feel comfortable doing, I ended up leaving the company shortly after and I heard through the grapevine they ended up going back to this guys house 5 times to fix the compressor eventually just replacing it completely with a brand new one (which they should of done from the start!)

ur right. the compressor should have been replaced... and yes your boss was a shoemaker at that..... but sometimes u are pressured to do something your not comfortable doing... Glad you did what you did. we all need some sort of boss that actually will do the right thing doesnt matter if your going to lose the customer. Doing what has to be done and only once....

I remember when i was just starting out in school (full time) i was working on the furnace trying to see how the furnace works. and i couldnt figure out why my furnace wouldnt turn on... i was there for at least 1/2 hr and everyone was laughing at me. and then the teacher came to my unit and said .. see someone messed around with your door switch and then i got talked to by my teacher saying you should have gotten your meter to check the voltage and whispered to me this is a learning experience. It sure was....

it seems like in any field noone in their right mind would replace something with a part a customer provided them, i cant believe how crooked that company was!

Dead Batteries in t-stat

yes your soo right about a customer buyin something and asking if you can install it for them. i personally wouldnt, how about if the part becomes defective right off the bat... !! like a Boiler Pump or a thermostat. Ive ran into so many calls where the customer says that he wants a new thermostat put in and i get there and he has the crappest tstat that you can ever buy and something of course im not fimilar with... and the kicker is that the customer agreed with the price over the phone with our tstat and installation cost.. but by the time i get there. he says i mentioned to the office that i had my own thermostat (which is never the case) so im at the customers house waiting for 1/2 hr for the conversation to end and not able to do the job so i ended up wasting almost 1 hr doing nothing and not getting paid. which gets me steamed off. that has happened a lot unfortunetly! and then when i get back to the office.. its my fault that i wasnt able to do the job? because i wasnt convincing enough my boss says? stubborn customer? not wanting to argue and make the company look bad. and of course im leaving there with a smile didnt convince the customer ? what the hell.

Here's just a few off the top off my head.
    1) get a call for t-stat problem, get there and the guy explains that he is an engineer he made sure he put on his new t-stat exactly the right way but now nothing works and he has checked all the wiring schematics and it's all perfect in the unit too... I pull a 3amp fuse out of my pocket and swap it, put the door back on and the unit fires up, he looks at me says how did you know that... Just had a feeling : ). The next fall he calls again, furnace runs for about a minute and then shuts off, when I get there I ask him if he's been messing with the unit. He says he had checked the pilot and decided it needed adjusting but that he got it dialed in perfectly... I tell him his unit needs to have the gas valve regulator dialed down, he looks at me says how do you know that, I say because your pilot doesn't have an adjustment screw. Go down and sure enough he has cranked his valve as high as it goes, turned it down and unit stopped going off on limit.
    2) Many times, no heat/ac call, get there and say "see this switch on the stat that is set on off.."
    3) no heat call get there and furnace is going off on limit, I pull the filter out(3m super no allergy static drop killer) and check temp rise... Perfect. Show the home owner and he asks what I'm trying to pull on him because there is no way at all the filter could cause a unit to have problems and he knows this because he is an engineer, I show him the temp rise with and without the filter he says he is not buying my tricks because he knows I'm just trying to sell him a new unit(haven't said anything about a new unit). I let him know that we could look into decreasing his total external static pressure by looking over his while system and that he might just need a little duct reworking or something to be able to use his 3m filter and he looks at me like I'm completely crazy he did pay the bill though.
    4) go back on a new install for no heat, unit is locked out for failure to prove flame, check incoming gas pressure 0, check it at low regulator 0(propane), check at tank 0. Look at tank gauge and it says 50% full. Tell customer she is out of gas before I can continue she says "no your wrong we checked it's 50%" I say ma'am your gauge is broken, she says "well that's convenient to say and how can you prove that" I say it's not putting out any pressure, she says "well I don't know how your fancy tools work so I can't understand that". I say ok ma'am your tank at 50% weighs about 1000lbs you think I can move 1000lbs, she says "well no", I say come with me and push her tank off it's concrete blocks all of a sudden I went from sketchy tech to hero ! The gas company came out and wouldn't even use the tank because it had structural leaks and broken gauge.

Page 14 of 44 FirstFirst ... 478910111213141516171819202124 ... LastLast