+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Condenser motor replacement Qs

Post Likes

Condenser motor replacement Qs

I get to customers house for a no cooling call. Fan not spinning on the condenser. Try to push it with a flathead to see if it spins. Unit is a 20yo York, one of the flat ones. Quickly swapout capacitor, no luck. Check voltage across contactor, have 240, check control voltage contactor goes in. Put meter in continuity, Check G to Brown-beeps, G to black-beeps, G to red-beeps. So the motor is shorted.
    Called supplier, no luck, sold out till next week, it's a 1/12HP.

On the way home think.....
    1. why didn't the breaker pop with the motor shorted.
    2. Why my clamp meter did not show anything while checking Red Black Brown while unit powered up?

Yes, im new to service....

Post Likes
    Ignore the beeps and pay attention to the ohm reading. The breaker was most likely not tripping because there was no voltage on the grounded wires. It’s possible, but unlikely, that it’s because the unit isn’t properly grounded.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by Everlong View Post
    I get to customers house for a no cooling call. Fan not spinning on the condenser. Try to push it with a flathead to see if it spins. Unit is a 20yo York, one of the flat ones. Quickly swapout capacitor, no luck. Check voltage across contactor, have 240, check control voltage contactor goes in. Put meter in continuity, Check G to Brown-beeps, G to black-beeps, G to red-beeps. So the motor is shorted.
    Called supplier, no luck, sold out till next week, it's a 1/12HP.

On the way home think.....
    1. why didn't the breaker pop with the motor shorted.
    2. Why my clamp meter did not show anything while checking Red Black Brown while unit powered up?

Yes, im new to service....
    Had one of those 1/12 hp fan motors a week ago, Y-42 frame. R.E. Michels had a Y-42 universal with 1/8-1/4 hp. had to install it in a law office. Works fine.
    Can someone please explain to me -
    Why is there never enough time to do it right the first time, but plenty of time to do it twice?

Please view site rules: http://hvac-talk.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=1241

Apply for Pro Membership: http://hvac-talk.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=116113

Post Likes
    I suppose you have 2 windings, one of them (high resistance) is connected to the capacitor (serial connection/low current), the another (low resistance) is the main winding:
    have you meassured both of them -value in ohms- ?

Post Likes
    Is the customer hot and miserable ? 1/6 are pretty common , throw one in there and check amps , probly be fine

Post Likes
    The primary function of the design engineer is to make things difficult for the fabricator and impossible for the serviceman.

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in