+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 54 FirstFirst 1234567891252 ... LastLast

Thread: Stupidest Service Call you've run!!!

Post Likes
    Get called one saturday morning by a freind saying his A/C wasnt working.Him and his son are "electritions" by trade so I arrived and went to condensing unit and shuure enough want running. So I removed the access cover and had no power to the unit. Went to breaker panel and breaker for cond. unit was turned off! Not tripped mind you but just accidentally turned off. Sheez,

Post Likes
    2009 no heat gas meater locked. husband said wife pays the bills.2010 no heat gas locked out he tells me wife pays bills.2011 no heat so when i pull in i check the meater befor i knok on the door meater turned on. a girl around 18 lets me in and she tells me this furnace goes out every year my mom always pays the the bills but she has past away 3 years ago.i tell here in the past the gas was locked out by gas company this time its not. let me go see why the furnace is not working. this time no gas found the gas line to the house went bad.

Post Likes
    I get a call 3 weeks ago of no heat. I find a furnace that hasn't worked in 2 years, (tenants have been getting by with electric space heaters) and in desperate need of being changed out. I get the approval from the landlord, and schedule the install. I advise the tenants to make sure there is propane in the tank, and that's when I get, 'Oh, we'll have to wait a day or two for hubby to get paid'. I'm still waiting to hear back from them, and their not answering their phone.

Post Likes
    More then once I've gone to the wrong address and been let in. One call, they let me in, I cycle the furnace and the motor starts smoking and quits. Lucky it was an apt house and they called the mgr. Whew

5. Likes YingGiang liked this post.
    Post Likes
    we have a lot of Navy guys here. they always think they are smarter then me because there were in the Navy. No disrespect, sir. I got a 99 on your asvab in high school. I fix these things every day. your problem isn't that big of a deal, and no that HD/Lowes stat isn't defective. You either cannot follow written instructions or refuse to. Sir. Mr. Master Chief or whatever.

The reason it won't turn on is you blew a fuse. It is clearly labeled on the schematic you failed to read after you failed to read the wonderful RiteTemp directions. No, the service call is not free and there is a charge for replacing that simple fuse. Yes sir. No I think those tstats are crap. you asked what I thought and I told you. Oh that van out there and these shiney tools, they gave them to me with this mobile phone and told me to go out and drive around and see it I could figure this stuff out. Yup, started doing this yesterday. Pretty cool I figured it out in 2 minutes and just happen to have that Trane buss fuse in my pretty veto bag, eh? Nope never been to a class or read a book, got all my training in the pen. Yup, jail dawg.

7. Likes Dchamp003 liked this post.
    Post Likes
    Probably not the stupidest, but....... About a month ago, a no cooling "emergency". I found this. Look closely.

Attachment 232791 Attachment 232801
    The picture in my avatar is of the Houston Ship Channel and was taken from my backyard. I like to sit outside and slap mosquitos while watching countless supertankers, barges and cargo ships of every shape and size carry all sorts of deadly toxins to and fro. It's really beautiful at times.....just don't eat the three eyed fish....

¯`·.¸¸ .·´¯`· .¸>÷÷(((°>

`·.¸¸..· ´¯`·.¸ ¸.·´¯` ·.¸>÷÷(((°>

.·´¯`· .¸>÷÷(((°>

LMAOSHMSFOAIDMT

Post Likes
    Had a call from a new resteraunt owner in town. Freezer won't keep up. Found that "freezer" was a medium temp unit. Helped move all the product one door over. All has been good ever since.

Post Likes
    I have two;

Went on the days last call, No Heat, I find the oil tank in basement empty . I go upstairs and tell home owner "your oil tank is empty". She says to me condescending "Do you knowing what your doing, we have a gas furnace" No mam, you have a oil furnace, and the tank is empty. Just bout' then her hubby shows up, and she says "this furnace guy THINKS we have a oil furnace, ahh yes honey, we do. She quietly retreated upstairs...

Another war story...

Got a call, "I installed my own furnace, It's very noisey, and has little airflow. I start down the basement stairs, blower is growling. He actually did a decent job on the supply duct. Problem was he omitted the ENTIRE return duct. I said you need to cut into the side of your furnace { upflow} and install return air ductwork. He said "ARE YOU CRAZY" that's a brand new furnace. If they wanted a hole in it, they would've cut it in @ the factory. I said good luck with your project...
    I may not be the sharpest knife in the drawer, but compared to some I'm a razor...

Post Likes
    Chinese restaurant calls. Needs the cooler fixed. I show up and the best information I could get is they had the condensing unit and evaporator installed yesterday and it doesn't work. Evaporator coil was hung properly and had power going to it. Condensing unit on top of box has power going to it, and the owner says there's freon in it. I put my guages on and I have pressure. I take a second look. No line set. My boss says walk away from that one. His reasoning: Either someone else walked away becuse of non payment or they did the work themselves and as soon as we touch it we own it.
    Officially, Down for the count

YOU HAVE TO GET OFF YOUR ASS TO GET ON YOUR FEET

I know enough to know, I don't know enough
    Why is it that those who complain the most contribute the least?
    MONEY CAN'T BUY HAPPINESS. POVERTY CAN'T BUY ANYTHING

Post Likes
    No A/c Call, Maam where is your condenser located, sorry its not located there now, its gone..

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by gravity View Post
    wow! suprised you didnt figure it out sooner. ever get a no heat call and there gas is turned off?
    or better yet , there is no unit?
    catch a man a fish , feed him for a day.
    teach a man to fish , ruin a good business opportunity.

Post Likes
    Went to call one winter night and discovered she was a recently divorced blonde ex nieghbor of mine.(can ya see where this is headn)Soooo I proceed to troubleshoot and find empty oil tank. After telling her the problem we started talking and long story short I kept her warm that night but the oil wasnt delivered untill morning.Hey I had to bleed the lines right? anyway when I get to shop the next day the piping/electrical crew leader told me she was his ex-sister in-law! lol Small world huh? My only experiance of that kind. Thought id share.

Post Likes
    Delta pilot calls the morning after a sleet storm, to report that his outside unit is making a horrible racket.

I'm thinking "fan banging on ice" ...no big deal....but on the way over, I'm thinking, "hey, he has gas furnaces and straight a/c".....

I get there, and sho-nuff, the upstairs condensing unit is running and the fan is knocking the crap out of the ice from the storm.

I go inside, and he's got a roaring fire in the fireplace. The house has an open staircase and a balcony on the second floor overlooking the living room.

His thermostat? An "auto changeover" model.....The fireplace was generating so much heat, that the upstairs stat was calling for "cool".....
    Technical incompetence is NOT a sales tool....

Post Likes

Best voice mail ever.....

"Dis Jimmy Cheng wife at Peking Chinese Resarhant....My little box is hot, you come quick!"......
    Technical incompetence is NOT a sales tool....

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by John Markl View Post
    "Dis Jimmy Cheng wife at Peking Chinese Resarhant....My little box is hot, you come quick!"......
    Well did you?

Post Likes
    Went out to check a boiler problem, but no boiler.. Heat comes on then dies after about 3 or 4 minutes... Discover it's a hot air furnace...
    Not being a hot air furnace kind of person (I'm the manager/owner), looked at it with the voltmeter, etc, then looked at the return air filter (just a fluke)... Totally plugged (and I mean TOTALLY!!!...mostly dog hair). Replaced filter (they had a pack of them) and told them to keep an eye on it. Wished I'd have taken a picture, told my guys to always take pictures after that...

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by John Markl View Post
    Delta pilot
    Got alot of them here in Chi-Town
    Officially, Down for the count

YOU HAVE TO GET OFF YOUR ASS TO GET ON YOUR FEET

I know enough to know, I don't know enough
    Why is it that those who complain the most contribute the least?
    MONEY CAN'T BUY HAPPINESS. POVERTY CAN'T BUY ANYTHING

Post Likes
    i got a service call, unit not cooling. i show up and the old lady says oh this unit was working good.but i replaced the filter yesterday so that cant be the problem. i take a look and find the evap coil frozen solid with ice. the lady slid in the new filter with the plastic wrapping she never opened the filter. lol

Post Likes
    I had a guy call us and tell us there was no air blowing out of the vent. When I got there I pulled the filter out and it still had the plastic on it.....I called the office to see if I could cut him a break and not charge him the service call, and after checking the computer they told me nope we were there about 90 days ago for the same thing.....
    HOPE IS WHAT WE CRAVE

22. Likes filter87 liked this post.
    Post Likes
    Just got back from one tonight the store manager called and said the whole store was freezing cold. Got up on the roof only to find the lazy filter guys didn't put one single screw in any of the service panels. 10 rtu's had the doors blown off laying on the roof. I found one in the parking lot

Last week tenants called duplex owner said unit was not heating. The gas was not turned on and was the only thing in the house that used gas. So since they moved in during may could not understand why that had to get the gas turned on now since the a/c worked fine this summer. Geez some people. Explained how it works and she said they'd take care of it.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 54 FirstFirst 1234567891252 ... LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in