Page 81 of 82 FirstFirst ... 3171747576777879808182 LastLast
Results 1,041 to 1,053 of 1059
    Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by John Markl View Post
    Delta pilot calls the morning after a sleet storm, to report that his outside unit is making a horrible racket.

I'm thinking "fan banging on ice" ...no big deal....but on the way over, I'm thinking, "hey, he has gas furnaces and straight a/c".....

I get there, and sho-nuff, the upstairs condensing unit is running and the fan is knocking the crap out of the ice from the storm.

I go inside, and he's got a roaring fire in the fireplace. The house has an open staircase and a balcony on the second floor overlooking the living room.

His thermostat? An "auto changeover" model.....The fireplace was generating so much heat, that the upstairs stat was calling for "cool".....
    I had that call once but it was setting the CO alarms off in the house. Yet another improperly balanced duct system was pulling smoke from fireplace when the AC would kick on.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by anthonyac1 View Post
    i got a service call, unit not cooling. i show up and the old lady says oh this unit was working good.but i replaced the filter yesterday so that cant be the problem. i take a look and find the evap coil frozen solid with ice. the lady slid in the new filter with the plastic wrapping she never opened the filter. lol
    Awe poor lady. I donít think I would have the heart to charge for that.

Post Likes
    When I did residential I got a call for no AC at about 8pm. I asked the customer is the furnace in the attic? Yes. Has anyone been up there? Yes. Do you mind going up there now? No. So HO gets to the top of the attic ladder. I ask is the light on? No. Turn it On. I ask did the light come on? NO. HO asks whatís that noise? Thatís the sound of problem solved. HO asks why did the light not come on? Look behind you. The electricians in Austin must think thatís funny. The furnace switch by the ladder instead of the furnace.

Post Likes
    I had a noisy furnace call 1 day and was called back the next. I would arrive and check furnace and no noise. Everything working fine. Of course itís under warranty. Customer says it does it the same time every morning. Daybreak 5:30 am. So I am there at 5:00 am the next morning. Sure enough. 5:40am the furnace isnít even running and sounds like a fire bell going off. Feel the vent pipe itís vibrating. Go outside and there is a huge woodpecker banging away on the vent pipe. Lol

5. Likes lions_lair, BigDanB, beshvac, Everlong liked this post
    Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by Texa$HVACTech View Post
    I had a noisy furnace call 1 day and was called back the next. I would arrive and check furnace and no noise. Everything working fine. Of course itís under warranty. Customer says it does it the same time every morning. Daybreak 5:30 am. So I am there at 5:00 am the next morning. Sure enough. 5:40am the furnace isnít even running and sounds like a fire bell going off. Feel the vent pipe itís vibrating. Go outside and there is a huge woodpecker banging away on the vent pipe. Lol

Lol. I kept hearing this rythmic banging noise out my house and down the block for the past year. I was going out to my van last week to head to work and finally hear it when I am outside. Look up at the neighbors house and see a damn woodpecker perched on the metal water heater flue pipe banging away.

Sent from my SM-N910W8 using Tapatalk

Post Likes
    My dad had this one a couple weeks ago. CO alarm has gone off a few times. 80% furnace, newer water heater, all check out, clean and working fine. Draft is fine and flue is clear. He's checking the house for exhaust fans and sees a big box fan on a table in front of a window in the bedroom. Apparently at night, they open the window and blow the air from the house out the window. In winter, in Kansas...

Here's your sign.

Post Likes
    Yesterday afternoon got sent to a call. Customer says AC not working. Get on site and find mechanical room. Forced air gas furnace....no coil...no outdoor unit. Yes sir....you actually have to have AC for it to actually work.

Sent from my SM-N910W8 using Tapatalk

9. Likes lions_lair liked this post
    Post Likes
    Today I drove 2 1/2 hours each way because a split system I started up a couple weeks ago wasn’t working right. They said the AC was running when it shouldn’t be. I found the economizer minimum position set to 90%. The high temperature’s been in the fifties lately. The balancer had been there after me. He claimed he set return and outside air to specs and it was set correctly. I set outside air to 10% and told him to come back and set it again.

Post Likes
    Tstat wasn't turned on.. Customer asked what the problem was didn't have a heart to tell them that and embarrass them, told them found a loose wire. (the old loose wire found statement lol)
    The guru has awoken

Post Likes
    Happened to a buddy I worked with... Got a call "unit not cooling". Went to home and found unit low on charge. Leak checked system but could not find a leak. Topped off charge and left. A week later another call from customer unit was not cooling again. Found unit low again. After not finding a leak again decided to place dye in the system. Week later customer called and said he thinks he needs more refrigerant. Got to his house and the neighbors kid had dye all over his face. Guess what happened there.

13. Likes Metalman0880 liked this post
    Post Likes
    I had one last summer. 3 different calls through the summer. Same thing. After the first call and leak checking I added dye. Finally the last call I asked the h/o if they could buy a cheap trail camera for hunting and put it out. Sure enough it was the neighbor himself. System held 250psi of nitrogen through the winter and then got locking caps come summer.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by Dehno View Post
    My dad had this one a couple weeks ago. CO alarm has gone off a few times. 80% furnace, newer water heater, all check out, clean and working fine. Draft is fine and flue is clear. He's checking the house for exhaust fans and sees a big box fan on a table in front of a window in the bedroom. Apparently at night, they open the window and blow the air from the house out the window. In winter, in Kansas...

Here's your sign.
    Maybe the kid was smokin a muskie and didn't want to get caught. I ran a call 20+ yrs ago where mom complained of no air in junior's room. Pulled the floor register to pull out a very large bag-o-hippie hay. "I guess I need to have a talk with my son" she said.

Post Likes
    Dad years back used to install central vacc systems in homes.
    Got a call that the daughters room was not working.
    Found 3 bags stuff up the pipe, Mom was standing there when I pulled them out......
    Life is too short, Behappy!
    TFMM

Page 81 of 82 FirstFirst ... 3171747576777879808182 LastLast