Page 25 of 46 FirstFirst ... 1518192021222324252627282930313235 ... LastLast
    Here is the "weirdest" call I've been on [weird stupid]. Central a.c. not cooling very well. It was a tenant that finally got LL to pay for a service call. I found a slight bit of ice on evaporator coil. Filter, blower, and coil were all clean. Outdoor ambient temperature was in the 80s. I was getting a decent enough indoor temperature drop [17 or so]. This was nearly 20 years ago...I didn't know cfm checkout, yet. All registers were open and unobstructed. It was belt-drive blower running at full amps, belt and bearings okay....hmmmmm. I checked refrigerant charge to find it slightly low [outdoor dry bulb of 83, indoor wet bulb 70.....I was getting 29 superheat but wanted a 23]. One shot of R22 brought my superheat to what I wanted. I was baffled. I went back to furnace for one last look.....I had already checked blower rotation and found it going in the proper direction.....and besides, it had not been serviced in years and it takes a lot more work reversing rotation on a belt-drive than a reversible direct drive. Wait.....the blower was going in the direction shown on the housing [and it was a direction arrow factory-scribed into the metal].....but it was in the wrong direction! I wish I would have remembered the furnace make.....even though I'm new to this site and don't even know if it is proper to list make.....but it was not a big name. It seems to me that it was one of those makes I had rarely or maybe never seen before.....but it was weird! I got it in right direction.....I got my Sanford marker and corrected rotation scribing.....re-adjusted R22 charge.......and tenant could not believe airflow. She had lived there 5 years and it had never been anything like that.

Two this week:

Call back on a furnace install this past October. Complaint: Furnace is coming on, running for about 10 minutes and then shutting off for ten minutes - does it about three times an hour, according to their detailed notes. I arrive and find the system humming along and cycling normally. I explain all the variables that effect cycling. I point out their fridge as an an example...how it cycles as well according to heat infiltration levels. I explain heat loss, conduction, convection, the second law of thermodynamics etc. and pronounce the system fit. I also point out that the new system is much more efficient than the old, way oversized natural draft system that was sure to have short cycled badly.

The dispatcher radios me later and apparently they were still asking why it's cycling and what should I tell them. I told her I guess I didn't explain myself adequately...try this: It's freaking cold out there (16 overnight, high of 27).

2.) "No heat, furnace not working." Walk into a 81 degree house (high of about freezing today). Set temp 81, actual temp 81. She states the furnace will not run unless she keeps turning it up - and it only goes up to 85...

Quote Originally Posted by hurtinhvac View Post
    Two this week:

Call back on a furnace install this past October. Complaint: Furnace is coming on, running for about 10 minutes and then shutting off for ten minutes - does it about three times an hour, according to their detailed notes. I arrive and find the system humming along and cycling normally. I explain all the variables that effect cycling. I point out their fridge as an an example...how it cycles as well according to heat infiltration levels. I explain heat loss, conduction, convection, the second law of thermodynamics etc. and pronounce the system fit. I also point out that the new system is much more efficient than the old, way oversized natural draft system that was sure to have short cycled badly.

The dispatcher radios me later and apparently they were still asking why it's cycling and what should I tell them. I told her I guess I didn't explain myself adequately...try this: It's freaking cold out there (16 overnight, high of 27).

2.) "No heat, furnace not working." Walk into a 81 degree house (high of about freezing today). Set temp 81, actual temp 81. She states the furnace will not run unless she keeps turning it up - and it only goes 85...
    I've been to that house.

Guy trying to heat house to 80 something. 81 inside. Heating house with HP.

I had a Propane customer that had Heat but no Hot Water. They had a Boiler with an Indirect tank for hot water. Customer said they would get hot water for a couple days then they would lose it, get hot water back for short time and then lose again. I manually opened the zone valve for the hot water tank loop and it wasnt stuck closed. It opened easily and then spring closed. I looked at the indirect tank and it had a temperature dial on top of it. it was set on Low. I turned up the temp and went upstairs and told lady she would get hot water soon. She asked what problem was. I told her temp dial on tank was set at low. She asked how it could end up set at low. I told her someone must have turned it down. While I was in her kitchen checkin the temp out of the faucet she immediately got on phone. She angrily told someone on phone she knew how her daughter was still seeing her boyfriend she didnt approve of. She said her daughter would stay at her Grandmas house every time they would mysteriously lose hot water in house and thats how they would still see each other. I couldnt help overhear the conversation cuz she was so upset. I showed her where the temp dial was and got out of their......Lol.

She said her daughter would stay at her Grandmas house every time they would mysteriously lose hot water in house and thats how they would still see each other. I couldnt help overhear the conversation cuz she was so upset. I showed her where the temp dial was and got out of their......Lol.

That's a riot!

I often think that had I known then, when my kids were teens, what I know now...I would have had a much easier time with controlling my infrastructure: Timers and kill switches for various circuits in the house, hydronic hot water valves for their bathroom...

But then we wouldn't have the stories we laugh about today...

Two calls stick out in my mind:
    1) No heat - arrive, notice no diagnostic light and no 24VAC. Check control fuse, fine. Check line voltage at the plug - nothing. Go to the breaker box to check for a tripped breaker, cannot find one. Ask the homeowner for a sub-panel to look for a tripped breaker, he responds with "Oh my power's been out today. Could that be why my furnace stopped working?" ...yes.
    2) Furnace won't stop running - my service manager left his jumper wire in the furnace earlier in the day to check operation after his repair while the customer was at work (furnace was in an outdoor closet). It was 103 in her house when I arrived. I enjoyed telling him about that one. haha

Just had this the other day.
    Lack of heat in managers office. Get there unit is running, check vents one is open and pumping out heat. Check the second one, vent has no heat coming out of it. It is closed, open it, still no heat. Trace the line back to the trunk. The damper is closed. Manager says o yea we closed that because during the summer it is too cold in the office. :facepalm:

Company is contracted to perform PM on 30 hanging heaters in an empty factory bldg. Customer wants systems maintained so when place is sold no issues with heating systems. Good idea. Completed the pm on the heaters all of them functioning properly and safely. Received a call that a portion of them were not working. Had to drive about 1 hour to factory. All units are suspended about 30 feet up. Get there start checking units. Thermostats located on the side of units. All stats set to 55 degrees turned up stats units coming on. After completion individual who called in problem called to check on the condition of equipment. After talking with him he stated that when he tried to turn them on there was no response. I asked if he turned them on at the units, no I used the stats mounted on the support beams, sorry these turn on the exhaust fans and those have been disconnected......Oh so all is working. Duh......

Went to an overtime call for no A\C. Furnace in a closet was dead. Found that the door was on upside down and the door switch was not made.
    The customer had a couple of little kids, like 3 or 4 years old. He blames it on them and says they were playing arounf the closet.

Years ago I worked for a company that provided factory warranty for Amana. Went on a warranty no cool call for a window unit. Knocked on the door and a child opened the door and let me in. Walked into the living room. (it was a trailer) and there was tha faulty window unit sitting in the middle of the floor blowing cold air straight up the skirt of a 350 # + woman sitting in front of it. She stated it blows cold air but never cools the room down plus it makes the carpet wet. After installing it in a window she seemed satisfied with it's performance.

Quote Originally Posted by Ductfisher View Post
    Years ago I worked for a company that provided factory warranty for Amana. Went on a warranty no cool call for a window unit. Knocked on the door and a child opened the door and let me in. Walked into the living room. (it was a trailer) and there was tha faulty window unit sitting in the middle of the floor blowing cold air straight up the skirt of a 350 # + woman sitting in front of it. She stated it blows cold air but never cools the room down plus it makes the carpet wet. After installing it in a window she seemed satisfied with it's performance.
    Lol! Dang near spit bourbon all over my screen!

Any time your customer has to tell you "I'm an engineer and....'fill in the blank'" you know your on a collision course with wackiness. They have a uncanny ability to loose their tempers rapidly when things don't work the way they "know" they are suppose to work.

My favorite thing to do is to stand there with a big smile on my face as they try to epically fail at explaining how things should work as if they were the ones who invented the theory of thermo dynamics or something. Fix the problem then add special "D-bag" charges to the final bill for being such a pompous jerk to you. My favorite.

Quote Originally Posted by n-e-w Jerz! View Post
    Any time your customer has to tell you "I'm an engineer and....'fill in the blank'" you know your on a collision course with wackiness. They have a uncanny ability to loose their tempers rapidly when things don't work the way they "know" they are suppose to work.

My favorite thing to do is to stand there with a big smile on my face as they try to epically fail at explaining how things should work as if they were the ones who invented the theory of thermo dynamics or something. Fix the problem then add special "D-bag" charges to the final bill for being such a pompous jerk to you. My favorite.
    Anytime I hear the engineer bit I usually respond with something borderline smartass. Of course it depends on their attitude and what they say... and I used to bite my tongue. But. One can only take so much.

But yeah pretty much a textbook post there... and I thought I was the only one that applied special dbag charges.

If only they knew.... you can catch more bees with honey.

Page 25 of 46 FirstFirst ... 1518192021222324252627282930313235 ... LastLast