Page 1 of 39 1234567811 ... LastLast

Stupidest Service Call you've run!!!

Hi all,

I was wondering what is the stupidest service call you've ever ran?

Let me start with mine today.

Customer call for no heat.
    When arrived, furnace has no power,
    checked outlet, no 120v.
    Checked breaker, breaker is good.
    After running around for 40 mins and multiple phone calls to different tech I ask the customer if I can use the phone cause mine was out of battery. Customer said, the phone doesn't work because her utility was shut off for non payment. DUH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

She paid her bill, but it wouldn't go through for another two days. Advise customer that the furnace should work once she has utility on. I felt so sorry for her that I didn't even charge for the service call.

Wait a minute.

It took you 40 minutes to figure out you didn't have line voltage? Is that a new record?

wow! suprised you didnt figure it out sooner. ever get a no heat call and there gas is turned off?

can't say ive ran and stupid calls. i have had the usual ones where the furnace switch was off b/c they thought it was the light switch.

i went to a weird customer today. we set his ladder up in the rain and he had booties(plastic bags) to put on the feet of the ladder. i just shook my head

I once had to drive 50 mile one way to get model and serial numbers because previous service tech forgot to get them, and we needed to order a part under manufacturers warranty!!!!!!!!

F that. he would have been driving back....or he'd be calling the HO to make a fool out of himself and asked them to get it...haha

During air conditioning season. humidity control brings the ac on and the tstat is still set above room temp. Especially interesting in a zoned home, went to one and the kids had set the HW8000 humidity setting at 40%. The other stats were set for 55% and so that room at 40% was always cold. Dad had no clue that feature brought the ac on. Naw, it just dehumidifies with salesman provided magic.

In the big 3' of snow blizzard a couple years ago, a service contract customer insisted I come out at midnight. When I got close, I called and asked him to turn on his porch light. "But we don't have any electricity." He is on my personal Do Not Service list.
    Jason

no heat call generated by the monitoring company. discharge temp @ 115, RAT 72, but space hasn't been above 65 in past few hours with both heat stages active . . . . sensor a few feet away from garage type door . . . that's been open all day.

you don't have an a/c unit......
    Col 3:23

questions asked, answers received, ignorance abated

Finished the maintenance on a hot water boiler. Customer refused to turn the heat on until we did the check-up. House was 50F when I started. After 30 minutes of run time, the house climbed about 2 degrees. Pack up and leave. An hour later, I get the call that her heat isn't working anymore. I call her to try to resolve it over the phone.

-What's the temperature in the house right now?
    -62F.
    -That seems pretty good for running for only an hour.
    -Well, it never did that before.
    -Was it ever this cold before when it started?
    -No. But it never did this before.
    -Okay, I have 2 other calls, let me call you back in an hour.

Hour later....

-Did the temperature rise at all?
    -I didn't think it was working fast enough so I shut the thermostat off.
    - (silence)
    ecuacool
    732-494-HELP
    http://ecuacool.com

Guaranteed energy savings.
    Serving all of NJ, NYC, and eastern PA.

The unit outside started making funny noises and the fan shut off then smoke started rolling out of it.

The lady who has been smelling something and having headaches ever since the batteries went bad on her CO detector and woke her up in the middle of the night. ------ During cooling season

Quote Originally Posted by gravity View Post
    wow! suprised you didnt figure it out sooner. ever get a no heat call and there gas is turned off?
    Had a few that the propane tank was empty. In the middle of the night is when its the most irritating
    Its not hard to stop a Trane.. Just give it a Chinese run cap.

Page 1 of 39 1234567811 ... LastLast