Page 1 of 45 1234567811 ... LastLast

Hybrid View

Stupidest Service Call you've run!!!

Hi all,

I was wondering what is the stupidest service call you've ever ran?

Let me start with mine today.

Customer call for no heat.
    When arrived, furnace has no power,
    checked outlet, no 120v.
    Checked breaker, breaker is good.
    After running around for 40 mins and multiple phone calls to different tech I ask the customer if I can use the phone cause mine was out of battery. Customer said, the phone doesn't work because her utility was shut off for non payment. DUH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

She paid her bill, but it wouldn't go through for another two days. Advise customer that the furnace should work once she has utility on. I felt so sorry for her that I didn't even charge for the service call.

wow! suprised you didnt figure it out sooner. ever get a no heat call and there gas is turned off?

Quote Originally Posted by gravity View Post
    wow! suprised you didnt figure it out sooner. ever get a no heat call and there gas is turned off?
    Had a few that the propane tank was empty. In the middle of the night is when its the most irritating
    Its not hard to stop a Trane.. Just give it a Chinese run cap.

recieved call -No Heat- complaint unit could be heard running but not heating- upon arrival and inspection found t-stat in off position with fan switch in on position- quick inspection of unit operation (since I was already there) and politely went over thermostat operation with customer......dumb call

my ac dont work

This is automotive, but anyways this lady brings in her car and says my ac doesn't work. So I hit the switch and it turns on, I let it run for awhile and it's blowing cold and cycling as normal, so I call her and say I dont find anything wrong, come to find out she did not know that the snowflake button on the dash was the ac on/off switch.Gotta love it.

I barely use my vehicle and sometimes I'm wondering why the A/C doesn't work. I haven't made it to the mechanic... yet. my wife reminds me of the A/C switch.

A few weeks ago, I went to a older single wide trailer that I had been there in the summer time to do a PM on their Carrier Gas Pack. I knock on their door and nobody answers, so I started walking to the back of the trailer where the unit was and noticed something odd about the windows and looked inside to find it was empty. I went in the back to found out that the unit was gone. I call my boss and explain that nobody was living here and the unit is missing. Turns out the person who was living there was a tenant and stole the owner new unit which we installed earlier this year.

Quote Originally Posted by shanemorton View Post
    A few weeks ago, I went to a older single wide trailer that I had been there in the summer time to do a PM on their Carrier Gas Pack. I knock on their door and nobody answers, so I started walking to the back of the trailer where the unit was and noticed something odd about the windows and looked inside to find it was empty. I went in the back to found out that the unit was gone. I call my boss and explain that nobody was living here and the unit is missing. Turns out the person who was living there was a tenant and stole the owner new unit which we installed earlier this year.
    In all my times of working in trailers it never occurred to me that someone would intentionally rent a trailer.

I guess the landlord pissed them off something fierce...
    ~~
    Nest is poo...

Not the stupidest, but one of the weirdest. My dad and I, years ago (many years ago) went on a call where a handicapped man had some trouble with his electrical and appliances. As it turned out, lightening had hit his power box inside on the porch with old glass fuses. Well the power box had to be open we assumed, as it blew one of the fuses out of the box, broke a window coming into the kitchen, hit the refrigerator door and dented it well. Then as it bounced off the refrigerator it broke the clock timer on his wall oven then broke another kitchen window on its way out into the yard. Well to make sure that didn't happen again we updated his power panel with a breaker box.

These are some great stories, Thank you for that.

In school i am always hearing common stories like these, Usually, no Line voltage, gas meters locked or T-Stats switched to the off position.

Definately going to keep an eye out for them issues on down the road.

Thanks for sharing, lots of great stories here.

I replaced a bad defrost timer on a reachin freezer for a nursing home. Since I had dealt with them before I decided to leave my data logger in the freezer until the following day.Got a call at seven the next morning from the director screaming that they lost all their food and it my fault. Got there and read the info from the data logger and found the temp steadily went up from 7:30 the nite before until 5:30 that morning. The lady in the kitchen over heard the conversation but didnt say anything. The timer was on the right time, so I knew the power had not been turned off. After a few more minutes, she finally said when she came in at 5:30 she closed the freezer door! The director wasn't happy but I was so glad I put the logger in to double check everything.

haha nice to see that im not the only tech seeing this. My fav is when they have the stat off or a thrown breaker......... when's the last time you have changed the filter ummmmmmmmmmm .... where is that at? lmao

Here's one for you.

I was on call on a Sat around noon. Call was for no cooling and they stated that they had our 10 year parts/labor warranty and we had no way to confirmed that since our office was closed.

I get there and his wife opens the door and explains that they have a system malfunction on their t-stat. I checked the logs and stated that contactor for high stage was opened. Went outside to troubleshoot and turns out that the board was not sending 24v to the contactor. So I decided to reboot the board and everything ran fine afterwards. Went inside to look at their air filters and found them clogged, his wife calls for her husband and he comes out of the living room in his Whitey Tighties underwear and I am thinking... WTF? I went on and changed his air filters.

A week goes by and in the meeting, I found out that the couple lied to us and didn't have no warranty plan with us. That pissed me off the most.

Page 1 of 45 1234567811 ... LastLast