Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Likes

Geothermal System Making High Frequency Sound

Hello Everyone,

We recently replaced an older Trane packaged geothermal system (single stage, R22, upflow) with a new ClimateMaster Tranquility 30 TEV (two stage, variable speed, R410a) system in a basement tied into a sheet metal duct system that has canvas joints on both the supply (between the unit and the plenum) and on the return air drop. Nothing about the system changed other than the equipment along with a new non-pressurized flow center and pumps.

We install around 40 - 50 of these exact same ClimateMaster TEV systems a year on the same or similar duct systems and have never had this happen. This one particular unit, however, is creating a high frequency sound that is irritating the homeowner. My lead tech, project manager, foreman, the ClimateMaster FSR and myself have all spent countless hours out there trying to get system the re-create the sound, and even though none of us can hear it, the husband and wife can. We have literally stood next to them in complete silence, but while we can't hear it, they do. Today, we replaced 3' - 4' of the sheet metal branch ducts with insulated flex to see if that would "break" the sound transmission through each duct and out of the floor registers, but that didn't solve anything.

Has anyone been in this situation before, able to identify what the high frequency / pitch sound was coming from?

Thanks in advance for any input (and hopefully preserving our sanity)!!!

2. Likes DavidDeBord liked this post
    Post Likes
    Is it just VFD noise? If the frequency is high enough, only younger ears will hear it and the older folks just won't be able to hear it. On commercial standalone VFDs, there are usually programming options to change the carrier frequency of the drive, but this comes with tradeoffs - mainly regarding the heat generated by the drive and a drop in efficiency. Dunno if any such options are even present on the system in question, but it was the first thing I thought of when you mentioned that it was variable speed.

4. Likes DavidDeBord liked this post
    Post Likes
    I can't hear it but it drives my dog crazy when it goes into 2nd stage.

Post Likes
    That's what's crazy - the homeowners are older (I'd ballpark mid-to-late 60's), I'm 35 and my service manager is 42. We can't hear the sound, but they definitely can and don't wear hearing aids.

Post Likes
    And I'll ask my service manager about whether or not we can change the carrier frequency of the drive. Thank you for the suggestion!

Post Likes
    while the system is running, can you pull wires to pumps, blowers, inverters, etc? it would really help narrow it down.
    Experience - knowing when to get the hell out of the way and plug your ears. "Don't be a sissy. Turn it on!"

Glennac - Failed my biology test today: They asked, "What is commonly found in cells?" Apparently "BL*** people" wasn't the correct answer.
    Poodle Head Mikey - "the world is well populated with the unknowing and the uncaring and the stupid."

9. Likes DavidDeBord liked this post
    Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by HVAC_Marc View Post
    while the system is running, can you pull wires to pumps, blowers, inverters, etc? it would really help narrow it down.
    this. lighting fixtures like cfl's and some led's produce high freq. noise too

Post Likes
    It's possible there is a faulty ECM module on the blower that is causing a louder than normal frequency, you might see about getting a replacement drive to see if it clears up the issue. The only other thing I have noticed in the past was harmonics with some registers or air filter when the blower was running at the right speed it was like a blade of grass between the thumbs.

Post Likes
    A Climatemaster Rep has been there, & he doesn't understand what's going on? It's strange that in their Laboratory conditions that this hasn't been noticed.

There are devices that will pick up/ record High & Low Frequency Sound, other than Renting/ Buying this equipment, or Hiring a Contractor in that field, HVAC-Marc, has the simplest method of tracking down the problem, by the process of elimination.

But, I gotta ask, ... Are You sure that these people aren't just lying about the whole matter?
    Psa 51:2 Wash me thoroughly from my iniquity. Cleanse me from my sin.
    Psa 51:3 For I know my transgressions. My sin is constantly before me.
    Psa 51:4 Against you, and you only, I have sinned, and done that which is evil in your sight;...

"You've got to Stand for Something or You'll fall for anything" (A. Tippin)

We are on a "Man-made Highway to Hell", Our so called "Leaders", Political & Religious, are encouraging The Mushroom like Sheeple to go faster.

(AC-DC Lyrics)

Post Likes
    Armstrong experienced that same thing with their hi end equipment. HO hear the noise, but techs can't hear the noise. A Cuba thing.

Post Likes
    Have you tried the harmonics kit from CM? Two rubber tubes go on the discharge line.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Post Likes
    That makes perfect sense (good analogy) but we've replaced the blower, wheel, etc. which had no effect on the sound.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by CoolShowers View Post
    Have you tried the harmonics kit from CM? Two rubber tubes go on the discharge line.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I wasn't aware of a harmonics kit - is this a ClimateMaster / OEM kit? Do you have a part / kit number?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast