Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Likes

Manufacture home furnace

Hello: Have been replacing the old Miller 80% with same Nordyne brand, some are now 95% . After a couple of jobs being inspected here in new jersey, the fire inspector fails me for reconnecting 5" flex hose that goes thur ceiling to roof inlet. This hose is in addition to the furnace inlet and exhaust pipes. It connects to the top of the furnace and seem to add a little make up fresh air. I senior tech from large company told me reconnect. The inspector said show him its needed. Can not find any reference in install manual. The inlet is 6-8 feet on roof from chimney. Anyone with experience with this, thanks.

Post Likes
    Dig through what ever code version your area uses for fresh air requirements.

Post Likes
    Are you looking for something like this (I think page 16)
    Coleman Furnace DFAHO84BBSA.pdf
    From page 15
    "...When the combustion air pipe inlet is covered or blocked with snow, the
    furnace will not operate properly due to the depleted combustion air
    supply.
    Therefore, if the furnace will be located in regions where snow accumulation
    on the roof exceeds 4" or in H.U.D. Snow Load Zones, a roof jack
    extension and PVC combustion air inlet extension is recommended..."
    "Sometimes what's right is what's left after you do everything wrong"--Robin Williams

Post Likes
    He's talking about the fresh air, not combustion air.

Post Likes
    Finally,an inspector with some common sense. I cannot believe that any manufactured house is so tight that it needs to have outside air brought in deliberately.
    Rather than trying to prove him wrong, just remove the flex and seal the opening.
    AOP Rules: Rules For Equipment Owners.

Free online load calculator: http://www.loadcalc.net/

There = not here. Their = possessive pronoun. They're = they are
    It's = contraction of it is. Its = the possessive form of it
    Too = also. To = expressing motion. Two = 2
    Then = after that, next. Than = indicates a comparison.
    Questions should end with a question mark "?" Statements end with a period "."

Post Likes
    I don't work on very many mobile home units. I was told that the warm fresh air is brought in to help prevent the coil from icing up due to the poor ductwork that mobile homes typically have.

Sent from my SM-N910P using Tapatalk

Post Likes
    I forgot to add, every mobile home unit that I've seen has that fresh air flex hose.

Sent from my SM-N910P using Tapatalk

Post Likes
    in my state we are required to have a fresh air intake pipe from the out side to the furnace.
    my old home had it from under the home as the skirting was vented and fresh air was not a problem.
    at the brand new homes are built to the same standards as a stick built home and yes i know i worked for a manufactured home maker for 2 years to learn the how twos in how the modern homes are built.
    But maby in the ops area the fresh air intake is not required.
    my home had one but we just closed it off when the new roof went in and the inspector said the under home air intake was fine and it worked just fine

Post Likes
    the new ones do as they are built to the same standards as a stick built home.
    in my state it can come from the roof or under the home if the skirting is vented as mine was.
    for the roof it had to be 2 feet above the upper snow limit in my area but i didn't like the look of it.

French Settlement, Louisiana, United States
    Post Likes
    Its purpose is to avoid a negative pressure in the home. As the duct leaks air under the home (they all do). It balances out. Keeps from having outside air draft in thru doors ,windows or other cracks. In a very humid area it brings the air into coil area so it can remove humidity

The only place you will find info on it is in the HUD code for manufactured homes.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by kdean1 View Post
    Finally,an inspector with some common sense. I cannot believe that any manufactured house is so tight that it needs to have outside air brought in deliberately.
    Rather than trying to prove him wrong, just remove the flex and seal the opening.
    Its a HUD requirement.
    Contractor locator map

How-to-apply-for-Professional

How many times must one fix something before it is fixed?

Post Likes
    it is a HUD requirement that out side air be brought in to the furnace room from either the roof or under the home as in my state allows.
    but you are right Beenthere

Post Likes
    So if it's NOT a HUD home it's not required correct ?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast