Condensate overflow switches

I know the 2015 icc IMC code is now allowing the use of a cutoff switch on either the secondary outlet of the pan or in the primary line. It used to not allow it in the primary line.
    Which is used more SS1, SS2 or others and any problems with any of them?

Ss2 seems to be our go to. The only time I see problems is when installers put them in improperly.

Quote Originally Posted by soaker View Post
    I know the 2015 icc IMC code is now allowing the use of a cutoff switch on either the secondary outlet of the pan or in the primary line. It used to not allow it in the primary line.
    Which is used more SS1, SS2 or others and any problems with any of them?

Our code enforcement already required them in the secondary drain if there's no secondary/overflow drain line in upflow and attic installations.
    Cheap work is not good.....
    Good work is not cheap.....

Quote Originally Posted by Dr Love View Post
    Our code enforcement already required them in the secondary drain if there's no secondary/overflow drain line in upflow and attic installations.
    The code in the past has required a cutoff switch in the secondary outlet of the units drain pan and additionally an auxiliary pan under the unit. It did not allow a cutoff in the primary line only the secondary outlet.
    The new code now allows the cutoff in the primary line or the secondary outlet on the pan.
    I wonder why they changed it back??

We use the SS2 on all vertical mounted units. On horizontal units we put the Aquaguard 100 in the aux pan underneath the unit. It is very rare that we use the SS1, pretty much only when there's no room to pipe anything out of the secondary drain of the unit itself. Some guys put double float switches in to be safe but I'm not one of them. I guess it all depends on how good you sleep at night.
    Gary
    -----------
    http://www.oceanhvac.com
    An engineer designs what he would never work on.
    A technician works on what he would never design.

I've always used SS2 on the secondary of a positive pressure coil and the SS1 downstream of the trap on air handlers. Every once in a while the SS2 seemed to cause problems in a negative pressure application. Only used SS3 if my boss wasn't too cheap to buy them.

Why would you not want to put it in the primary?

I agree! The primary is the way to go.
    They even changed the code back this year which allows it in either the secondary of the pan or in the primary.