+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: BluVac Micron gauge

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by joeyd View Post
    Thanks for your purchase and your kind comments, 71chops. I hope you enjoy it. If you have any problems please let me know!
    Joeyd, question I bought a Testo 557 with hoses and the BluVac Digital Micron Gauge last year in September and it was sitting all winter in my basement then I pulled it out for this season to use and when I am pulling it in the Vacuum, and close the ball valve on the hose the micron gauge jumos from 400 microns to HI-P (lost vacuum). Is there anything you can do to assist me
    I bought my stuff from Trutech tools

Thanks
    Ride hard on a Harley!!

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by merlin73 View Post
    Joeyd, question I bought a Testo 557 with hoses and the BluVac Digital Micron Gauge last year in September and it was sitting all winter in my basement then I pulled it out for this season to use and when I am pulling it in the Vacuum, and close the ball valve on the hose the micron gauge jumos from 400 microns to HI-P (lost vacuum). Is there anything you can do to assist me
    I bought my stuff from Trutech tools

Thanks
    Normally, if your just trying to pull and hold a vacuum on a short length of hose (with no large volume attached), you will not be able to hold a deep vacuum for a long time. Since the internal volume of the hose is so small, even the smallest of leaks will quickly raise the pressure.

OTOH, you say you could only pull to 400 microns while the pump is on. Usually, a decent pump with new oil should allow you to pull well less than 100 microns. So, it sounds like you have a rather large leak in your setup somewhere.

I would start by hooking the BluVac directly to your pump with the shortest hose possible (or a brass fitting) and no valves. See how deep your pump can pull (disconnect BluVac prior to turning off pump, or you might wind up needing to clean it!). Then start adding back hardware till you're back up to 400 microns. Then you'll know where the leak is.

At lot of guys here have also solved similar problems. I'm sure they can help you as well.

Post Likes
    Thanks I will try it and get back to you, I know with out the micron gauge, I pressurized the system to 200 psi and let it sit for 2 hours whille doing other things and came back and was still on 200 psi. It is only when i isolate the micron gauge is when i loose the vacuum. What I did was put the red and blue hose on the minisplit and the yellow hose has the micron gauge and the black hose to the pump. when the ball valve to the micron gauge (yellow hose) is shut off is when the vacuum is lost.
    Ride hard on a Harley!!

Post Likes
    Sorry i am using the Yellow Jacket Bullet vacuum pump with it.
    Ride hard on a Harley!!

Post Likes
    i like big thermistors with calibration capability.

Post Likes
    If you have a short hose with ball valve I've seen the valve keep a pocket of air trapped and by closing it the air will release..... the BluVac will show it instantly. Its an insane gauge.....Freaky Fast
    Also is the ball valve vacuum rated?
    “If You Can Dodge A Wrench You Can Dodge A Ball”

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by hvaclover View Post
    If you're talking about a Thermal the knob is not a calibration technically speaking and defiantly do not put 200 psi on one like you can do with the BluVac.

Post Likes
    BluVac can be calibrated, too.

It is MUCH better than the Thermal Engineering gauge. So much so that you really need to think about things like dedicated vacuum hoses, vacuum rated valves, and the like.

It is next on my tool list. Really, joeyd, it is....

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by jpsmith1cm View Post

It is MUCH better than the Thermal Engineering gauge. So much so that you really need to think about things like dedicated vacuum hoses, vacuum rated valves, and the like.

The BV tells you when you need to calibrate it. Is there any other ones that will do this.
    The knob and stamped number on the Thermal is not the same thing.

Post Likes
    I've had my Bluvac for a year now and no complaints. It is waaaaayyyyy ahead of the Thermal.

Although I did a few times at first due to my vacuum setup having some leaks... not forgiving like the Thermal, the BV will tell you exactly what is happening in real time.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by itsiceman View Post
    If you're talking about a Thermal the knob is not a calibration technically speaking and defiantly do not put 200 psi on one like you can do with the BluVac.
    Most certainly is. There is number on the thermistor that is a factory calibration value. The lower range below the micron scale are these values.
    The "knob' as you call it, is the the selector for the calibration values.

I don't see the value of OP protection. It's HVAC gospel that you don't put press to a micron gauge.

It would not hurt an analog because it would only peg the needle. Thermister could take 200 psi easy.

Post Likes

~snicker-chortle~

Post Likes
    [QUOTE=itsiceman;13034421]The BV tells you when you need to calibrate it. Is/QUOTE]

Yeah, just make sure you bring the family fridge along.

Post Likes
    Yet you carry a thermos of crushed ice to maintain thermocouples....

Post Likes
    Yet you carry a thermos of crushed ice to maintain thermocouples....
    Yeah, but i don't have to plug it in and it does not take up the whole cargo area...lol

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by hvaclover

Yeah, but i don't have to plug it in and it does not take up the whole cargo area...lol
    Not many places without a small freezer you could toss the BluVac in for a bit IF it required calibration.

Your argument is a non-starter, really.

Post Likes
    Not many places without a small freezer you could toss the BluVac in for a bit IF it required calibration.

Your argument is a non-starter, really.
    Hey, I just said I like big thermistors. That was just my. And I just pointed out a technical inaccuracy posted.

You use what you like to use.

Post Likes
    Most certainly is. There is number on the thermistor that is a factory calibration value. The lower range below the micron scale are these values.
    The "knob' as you call it, is the the selector for the calibration values.

I don't see the value of OP protection. It's HVAC gospel that you don't put press to a micron gauge.

It would not hurt an analog because it would only peg the needle. Thermister could take 200 psi easy.
    http://www.thermalengineeringcompany...01,%204575.pdf

Clover This is the two page instructions on how to "Calibrate" a Thermal micron gauge and you need plenty more than just a freezer like the BluVac.
    FWIW A calibrated micron gauge is on the list of things you need to calibrate a old Thermal. The number stamped on mine has drifted. I believe the knob has more to do with getting you in the ballpark as your power source and ambient temp changes and not calibration at all
    Also your wrong about pressure on the thermal I'll look for a pic of one the was split from positive pressure. I believe the sensor shell is lightly epoxied together or something along those lines.
    The Thermal is a workhorse IMO and a decent gauge.

Post Likes
    Well, if your reading drifts its time for a new thermistor.
    And like i said I would never put a micron gauge under positive pressure any way.

Not to be smart about it, but it's always been SOP to check your instruments against a known bench mark. That is not a disadvantage, that is just good instrument maintenance. As far as compensating battery loss Thermal was a plug in as well as battery powered. So plugging it in would make that part of your argument invalid.

No, maybe I am old fashioned, but I still have an old Robinair vacuum gauge so I know how an analog works.

But today since getting back to work I am using a JB micron gauge.

But i am going for a YJ calibrate able digital.

Post Likes
    I'm not arguing and it is not time for a new sensor. I believe that stamped number will change with every use as the sensor is consumed, varying degree of contamination and don't forget operating temp. All affect the reading.
    After calibration of the thermal you write the new "knob number" on the sensor just like it says in the instructions till the next time you 'feel' like calibrating it again.
    The excellent part about a BluVac beside telling you when it is dirty enough to affect the reading it keeps track of calibration for you and is automatic until it senses being out of an acceptable range of accuracy. Then you simply use the easy method with a freezer and no tools to field calibrate back to factory spec.
    I don't think there is another even close to a BluVac at all as far as accuracy and ease of calibration goes.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in