Mcquay Victalic Valve???

One of the guys at my shop ran into a Mcquay chiller that had a factory installed victalic butterfly valve on the suction side of the compressor. I asked around and no one i know has seen something like this. I was wondering 1) if anyone has seen this 2) what would the advantage be? because i don't see one.lol

Seen it befour

McQuay has been using victalic fittings for years they seem to do ok. We used them on a turbo core retrofit and they have not been a problem. The advantage there of cource is ease of installation.

Which chiller did you see it on. I have seen it on lots of them out there. Great to have if you need to isolate things it it holds.

they work good,used on older ags screws,they hold good and have less pressure drop.

Install?

Quote Originally Posted by synergy View Post
    McQuay has been using victalic fittings for years they seem to do ok. We used them on a turbo core retrofit and they have not been a problem. The advantage there of cource is ease of installation.
    I have installed a victalic butterfly valve before. Is there anything special about the install on a refrigeration vic butterfly valve besides the different gaskets?

With the suction valve, and the discharge valve, you can isolate the compressor and only recover the refrig. in the compressor. The valves work very well as long as they seat. If you replace the gaskets make sure you use the ones supplied by McQuay. They are differant from the standard Victaulic.

Quote Originally Posted by chilbrig View Post
    With the suction valve, and the discharge valve, you can isolate the compressor and only recover the refrig. in the compressor. The valves work very well as long as they seat. If you replace the gaskets make sure you use the ones supplied by McQuay. They are differant from the standard Victaulic.
    When I went to go shut the valve it wouldn't close all the way. So now were replacing the butterfly valve. Lol. Since i work for a national service company mcquay doesn't help us with information. Which is understandable because they want to do the work themselves. I called a local supply house and they called there victaulic rep. He reccomended a certian type of gasket and i'm ordering them in. Hopefully it does the trick

Usually you will see it on a dual compressor machine and it is to isolate the compressor from the other so service can be performed. I have not had one yet that closes tight and leak. I always pull the gas. The vics are made of a certain material and not one you can by at the plumbing supply house.
    "I'm from Texas, what country are you from?"