Hmmm - not even my accountant knows the answer to this one!

As I read the new tax credits available for this year, it appears that some air source heat pumps qualify for a $300 tax credit (http://www.doe.gov/taxbreaks.htm). To qualify the heat pump must be "HSPF 9 EER 13 SEER 15"

I looking at getting the new Goodman GMV95 and pairing it with the brand new GSH14. The spec sheet on the 3.5ton unit (GSH140421A) states its HSPF 9 EER 12 and SEER 14 (http://www.goodmanmfg.com/consumer/selectSide.act?side=2&requestedSite=Goodman#).

HOWEVER, everyone I've talked to has said that when you pair a heat pump with a VS furnace you can expect approximately another SEER point gain.

So, I guess the $300 question is, "Can a person claim the $300 credit with this unit if paired with a VS furnace, specifically the GMV95?"

You need RoBoTech. If you add a txv you might have 15 seer. The specs will tell.
    If everything was always done "by the book"....the book would never change.

Match it with the right coil and you can get 14 seer out of that unit and 12 eer & hspf of 9

It most likely will qualify, but neither the ratings or the specs on that model are not out yet and the unit itself will not be abailable until sometime in April.
    Government is a disease...
    ...masquerading as its own cure…
    Ecclesiastes 10:2 NIV

Originally posted by RoBoTeq
    It most likely will qualify, but neither the ratings or the specs on that model are not out yet and the unit itself will not be abailable until sometime in April.
    Originally, I was told wholesalers would not have this unit available until late June/ early July so maybe they've moved the date up.

RoBoTeq - have you looked at the Goodman website in the last few days? They have posted the ratings and specs on these units. Look under Product Information -> Split System Heat Pumps -> 14 SEER GSH14 and then click on the Product Specifications sheet (it will bring up a pdf with the specs).

What size do you need? The 14seer gsh becomes 15 seer in 5 ton with a specific txv according to specs....
    If everything was always done "by the book"....the book would never change.

You'd best check out those specs a little closer folks. Under the ARI rating # is TBD...that is "To Be Determined".

I don't act on specs until they have been verified. My guess is that what has been speced will be accepted by ARI and that there will be several more combinations also rated. But; until the ARI rating has been approved, I don't state a rating as fact.

Originally posted by michael73

HOWEVER, everyone I've talked to has said that when you pair a heat pump with a VS furnace you can expect approximately another SEER point gain.

You may want to double check, but I imagine anything rated at 15 SEER (system) already has an ECM or X motor. using a VS furnace will not be a gain over a VS air handler. If anything it will be a slight loss since there is a HX in the way.

Originally posted by docholiday
    Originally posted by michael73

You may want to double check, but I imagine anything rated at 15 SEER (system) already has an ECM or X motor. using a VS furnace will not be a gain over a VS air handler. If anything it will be a slight loss since there is a HX in the way.
    Goodman does not rate the same as most other manufacturers. Most Goodman outdoor units will achieve a full SEER point higher rating when used with a VS blower, at least up to the 3.5 ton range. The 80% furnace does have a slight efficiency lead on the 90% furnace with the same VS blower in it.

Things might change with new product offerings, but I just got off the phone with Goodman and as of today they do not have a heatpump that qualifies for the $300 tax credit. A personal bummer because I just installed the Amana 16 SEER heatpump with a 96% backup furnace. The furnace gets a $200 tax credit, but no tax credit on the heatpump. To make things even stranger, I may be incorrect but I suspect, if my heatpump was converted into only a cooling unit it could qualify for a tax credit.