+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Thread: Am I underpaid compared to my co-woker?

Post Likes

How Much Are YOU Really Worth TO YOUR COMPANY

Having operated my own business for over 40 years I found my weakest link was the inability to find qualified Technicians.

The attitudes of many were that I owed them a job and all they needed do was show up late and do sub standard work.

They felt the way to diagnose a problem was to start changing parts till you find the right one.

They charge a unit by feeling the line.

They felt that "call backs" were normal and part of the job, they expected me to pay them to redo the work I had already paid them to do even though they had not perform their work correctly, or they did not have the tools or ladder or part that should have been on their truck.

They would not have anything to do with further EDUCATION unless I paid for it and then would ***** if they had go to a class.

They did not feel it was their responsibility to keep their truck clean, and their sloppiness and laziness made their truck hard to work out of, costing more labor, broken parts, tools and instruments. Not knowing and keeping on truck all things necessary to perform their work.

They *****ED if ask to work overtime in busy periods .
    They *****ED if they had to work late to finish a job.
    They *****ED If ask to work Sat's when busy.
    They *****ED if we were slow and they didn't get 40 in unbusy periods.

They had to be closely supervised, their trucks would be seen at grocery store or even tavern or girl Friends home and they charged me for that time. THATS THEFT, but they thought nothing of it. You can ALWAYS cheat the Company but if they thought company cheated them- THATS DIFFERENT!

I will continue my RANT but then I will get positive and help you find a REWARDING , PROMISING FUTURE where you can be proud and really MAKE WHAT YOU ARE WORTH!

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by bruced View Post
    I will continue my RANT but then I will get positive and help you find a REWARDING , PROMISING FUTURE where you can be proud and really MAKE WHAT YOU ARE WORTH!
    We must be twins, seperated at birth....
    Technical incompetence is NOT a sales tool....

Post Likes
    OMG!!! Bruce, first: I'm going to put you on my friends list! Second: What you have stated above SHOULD be gospel! I too own a conditioned air company, 2.5 years now and I am JUST getting the hang of it. There is MONUMENTAL DIFFERENCE in the way I view my previouse employers! There is no way to explain the dedication that is required to have a chand of success. Any how, I have two techs, one has about 2 years of exp. And tech school degree. The other has no formal education, no high school diploma and about 5 years of total exp. However my "uneducated" tech has ambition to learn, he loves what he does for a living. He is self taught, as an installer he was removing wiring diagrams and tech data from scrap units and take them home and study. He has a thirst for knowledge and a desire to be the best. The other, 8 to 5, could give a #@&% about any tech updates, continuing education, etc. He is never going to be successful just being average, he will never earn more than an average wage...

Post Likes

HOW TO MAKE WHAT YOU ARE WORTH

I have touched on a few things that have made life difficult for so many HVAC companies and their employees, truely I just scratched the surface. Most of the people, former employees and those I chose not to hire, would not even be a good employee wherever they went. They bring baggage to the work place that I have to deal with, bad driving, family problems, bad attitudes, rudeness to customers, Alchohol and Drug problems, theft of parts, tools and wages. WHY WOULD I WANT TO HIRE YOU???

We are entering a new period in the advancement of the HVAC industy. Liscencing here in Iowa and many other places, not just for the company but also for individual Tech/Installers. It is not the first challange we have faced, my father, whose also was in the HVAC business faced the first air conditioners and then the first heat pumps and it was a challange for a man who started out installing Gravity furnaces. He wanted to get out. But fourtunely he re-educated himself. I atteneded a Tech/Vocational High School in my jr and senior year. The greatest part of the day was in the shop or lab. Great school but was still lacking everyday experience for most students, I could work with my father. You would think that would be enough. NO. After being in the feild for a short period of time I realized my LACK of knowledge, experience and that there are MANY problems you encounter that I was not prepared for. Many call backs.
    I would be tore up inside because I could not figure some things out. I would be lost and wondering what to do. I soon realized I NEEDED MORE EDUCATION and EXPERIENCE! I went back and took advanced course at community colleges every year and took advantage of all courses offered by manufactures, dealers, and any other place I could find it. The web is a treasure trove of education and information if you learn to use it also, no substitute but you can find just about any tecnical info you need!

WHAT IS AN HVAC EMPLOYER LOOKING FOR TO DETERMINE HOW MUCH YOU ARE WORTH? next

Post Likes

HOW TO MAKE WHAT YOU ARE WORTH

I have touched on a few things that have made life difficult for so many HVAC companies and their employees, truly I just scratched the surface. Most of the people, former employees and those I chose not to hire, would not even be a good employee wherever they went. They bring baggage to the work place that I have to deal with, bad driving, family problems, bad attitudes, rudeness to customers, Alcohol and Drug problems, theft of parts, tools and wages. WHY WOULD I WANT TO HIRE YOU???

We are entering a new period in the advancement of the HVAC in dusty. Licensing here in Iowa and many other places, not just for the company but also for individual Tech/Installers. It is not the first challenge we have faced, my father, whose also was in the HVAC business faced the first air conditioners and then the first heat pumps and it was a challenge for a man who started out installing Gravity furnaces. He wanted to get out. But fortunately he re-educated himself. I attended a Tech/Vocational High School in my Jr and Senior year. The greatest part of the day was in the shop or lab. Great school but was still lacking everyday experience for most students, I could work with my father. You would think that would be enough. NO. After being in the field for a short period of time I realized my LACK of knowledge, experience and that there are MANY problems you encounter that I was not prepared for. Many call backs.
    I would be tore up inside because I could not figure some things out. I would be lost and wondering what to do. I soon realized I NEEDED MORE EDUCATION and EXPERIENCE! I went back and took advanced course at community colleges every year and took advantage of all courses offered by manufactures, dealers, and any other place I could find it. The web is a treasure trove of education and information if you learn to use it also, no substitute but you can find just about any technical info you need!

WHAT IS AN HVAC EMPLOYER LOOKING FOR TO DETERMINE HOW MUCH YOU ARE WORTH? next

Post Likes

HOW TO ACHIEVE YOUR HIGHEST GOALS AND REWARDS

There are two reasons most companies cannot find good Technicians. Or at least two major ones! The first being that the GOOD techs are usually happy where they are and the company BENDS OVER BACKWARDS TO KEEP THEM (within reason). What a tragedy to loose your best worker to your competitor.
    And I NEVER fired anyone because they were TOO GOOD! Or they PRODUCED MORE! The other reason being that the available pool of HVAC workers out there are what I call Gypsies. They float from company to company, never achieving anything and just working till the company realizes what they have and terminate them. Now they usually do OK for a while, maybe even good for a while and then resume their old habits and then they are moving on to the next unsuspecting company. WHY would they terminate someone you is an asst to the company?? I know there are some who will see themselves in what I write and will be offended. Sorry. If you read my following posts you will be able to determine for yourself if the HVAC industry is for you, If you believe you can change and HOW TO BE PAID WHAT YOUR WORTH

Post Likes

WHAT MAKES YOU VALUBLE TO AN HVAC COMPANY

Maybe the most valuable and necessary part of the HVAC company/industry is the people actually performing the work. I can sell jobs all day long but if I cannot produce PROFESSIONAL RESULTS the Company will not survive and everybody is unemployed. So, that being said, I have an obligation to hire the right people, pay them well, look after their needs on the job and show them the respect they deserve. The person in another post Say's "don't trust anyone who tells you what to do without showing you how" would not be someone I would hire. Wrong attitude. The Companies job is to supply the work. YOU are to show ME how, YOU are suppose come to me with the ability to perform the work, YOU are suppose to know your job BEFORE you come to me, unless you are a trainee. They don't receive much pay but receive great on the job education. I should NOT have to tell YOU how to install or repair something! I explain the job, YOU take the plans and perform the work, without ME having to show YOU how!!! Goofy!! And that is a prevailing attitude out there. I'll do it if you show me how! Or ,in other words, why don't you just do it for me! I don't know how and I'm too lazy or uncaring to educate myself, or both! SO, the bottom line is- A REAL INTEREST IN HVAC, EDUCATION, ABILITIES, MOTIVATION, HONESTY, TRUST WORTHINESS, EDUCATION, CONCERN FOR OTHERS and DEPENDABILITY.

YOU WILL ALWAYS WORK IF YOU HAVE THOSE THINGS

Post Likes

I just don't get it.....

Okay, so I just don't get it....who cares what the other guy is getting paid??? Am I happy with my wage for the work I do? If the answer is yes, life is good.

If the answer is no, time for some re-evaluation. Why am I not making what I want (not worth because there can be a big difference. my ex said I was worthless but my bosses always paid me well)? Is it my skills and productivity or is it where I work? I can change me, wait I can change where I work too! Alright so we are back to I have to change, either attitude, ethic, or work location.

I am 40 years old now. I have been around a little, not anywhere near as much as some of you, but the major problem I see is the lack of individual responsiblity in today's society. From little Johnny throwing rocks at school, to big Jim not getting paid what he thinks he's worth. At some point everyone needs to grow up or grow a pair and be an adult.

And no, I am not a business owner, I am actually a "worthless guberment employee". We have some of the laziest people you have ever seen claiming they aren't paid what they are worth!
    Don't worry zombies are looking for brains, you're safe...

Post Likes

SO, WHAT DO I NEED

THE RIGHT ATTITUDE- You come to the workplace in a good mood, leave your personal problems at home,you like the work you do, you plan on working your way to the top, you want to be the best, you want the company and co-workers coming to you for help and advise. The customer is the seed of your success, you want them requesting you to come, you realize the company gives you the opportunity to show your skills and you are happy to be able to help people. You feel accomplishment and satisfaction. YOU ARE NEEDED. YOU can be proud!

THE RIGHT SKILLS- Skills are more acquired and are often learned on the job- . Every company wants a person who KNOWS the answers. Compare your skills and abilities to others, are you the best? Do some things stump you? Are your installs/work as neat as the best work you see out there? Do you look for new techniques to do the job better with less wasted time? Are you aware of codes and the proper way to install equipment according to manufactures requirements! Do you work in a safe manner for yourself, co-workers an customers? YOU CANNOT DIAGNOSE BY CHANGING PARTS

EDUCATION- EDUCATION IS ONGOING- if you do not like to go to school, if your employer has to force you, if you do not seek out more education on your own, if you don't take advantage of it and don't have the desire, GO BUY YOURSELF A GOOD BROOM , you will need it on the job you will be qualified.
    Schooling is available on line, community colleges, private schools, tutors, WHATEVER IT TAKES. YOU HAVE TO LEARN YOUR JOB AND UPDATE CONTINUOUSLY!

DEPENDABILITY-YOU MUST BE ON TIME AND AVAILABLE WHENEVER NEEDED.
    The company MUST have confidence that when you are assigned a task that you can perform it and do it correctly. They have to have confidence you will be where you are suppose to be, doing what you are suppose to be doing! Once the company loses that trust in you, you will see no more wage increases.
    THEY MUST BE ABLE TO DEPEND ON YOU TO DO IT RIGHT THE FIRST TIME AND IN A REASONABLE TIME FRAME. or get the broom

HONESTY- The company must trust you. You have their reputation in your hands, and their vehicles, parts, tools, etc. And often their money, not to say anything about you working in buildings and homes where you are unattended. It is actually the FIRST REQUIREMENT!!
    IF YOU ARE NOT 100% HONEST-GET THAT BROOM!

LOYALTY- IF you have all the requirements above, you should have a good relationship with your employer. You should be compensated well and you should feel as though you are part of the company because you will be a very important part! If the company treats you well and with respect, if they have helped you achieve this, you should feel loyalty and not jump ship for a little better deal from the competitor. You may regret that in short order. If the company is not loyal to you and you have the qualifications listed above, run like heck to a better company!

PRIDE AND NEATNESS- Pride in your abilities. Clean, neat personal appearance. Clean truck, inside 100% organized , stocked, all necessary tools and testers. Neatly and completely fill out all, service tickets, forms, warranties, time sheets,parts and material lists. Always acquire Model and Serial numbers for every piece of equipment you touch. Record part numbers of parts you need to replace or order not just equipment models. Always present a good image for the company.

THESE ARE THE BASICS TO SUCCESS. YOU WILL NOT ACHIEVE IT TILL YOU FULFILL THE REQUIREMENTS! YOU WILL NEVER BE TOP PERSONNEL OR RECEIVE TOP COMPENSATION. YOU CAN BE A GYPSY OR GET A BROOM. OR YOU CAN BE SAYING EVERY YEAR AT A NEW PLACE "HEY, WHY DON'T I MAKE AS MUCH" or WORSE YET "WHY ARE YOU FIRING ME?" or "HOW COME I'M THE FIRST TO BE LAID OFF" or "WHY YOU GIVING ALL THE WORK TO THE NEW GUY?"

Post Likes
    Good posts Bruced! Thanks!

This should be required reading for all aspiring techs.

Post Likes

DO YOU GET IT??

AS I need my 15 posts so I can advertise for "help wanted" I will finish this topic. By now you should understand what I NEED in an employee, as does every company out there. If you or anyone is to take accept ion to anything I have written here, get your broom. I will also GUARANTEE that if you do, you can come to Iowa, or many other places, or I dare say anywhere and receive TOP WAGES AND BENEFITS and there are companies looking RIGHT NOW. YOU can be the one that the others are comparing their wages to. YOU can be "THE MAN" or "THE WOMAN". AGE Won't matter, gender won't matter, race wont matter. YOU CAN BE THE "GO TO" PERSON.

WHAT DOES A COMPANY WANT?? TO PAY THE BILLS, LOOK AFTER THEIR EMPLOYEES, GROW and MAKE A PROFIT. WHY WOULD I WANT OR EXPECT ANYTHING ELSE! YOU CAN BE AN ASSET OR A LIABILITY. OR YOU CAN PUSH THAT BROOM!!

After 40 years in this industry, I KNOW what it takes. What does YOUR company REALLY think of YOU? What do YOU really think of YOU? Professional? Handyman? The guy who will be "GONE" as soon as a replacement is found?

WAKE UP GUYS, YOU SHOULD NOT HAVE TO ASK SOMEONE ELSE IF YOU ARE BEING PAID ENOUGH! LOOK IN THE MIRROR!! THAT'S WHERE THE ANSWER LIES. Thank You for your indulgence, I really hope it helps someone.

I WAS THE BAD EMPLOYEE I SPEAK OF HERE, OR ONE OF THEM. I WOKE UP, NOW I HAVE CONFIDENCE, I HAVE A FUTURE (or it gave me the ability to have a future, getting old now) FOR THOSE WHO FIT THE BILL FOR THE EXPECTATIONS LISTED ABOVE THAT COMPANIES NEED AND DESIRE (AND I KNOW THAT THERE ARE MANY TECH/INSTALLERS THAT FIT THE REQUIREMENTS, IF NOT MOST) I HAVE A PLACE FOR YOU AS DO MANY OTHER COMPANIES! I would be happy to discuss this with anyone interested. Peace

Post Likes

Q for Bruced

Where in Iowa are you?

Post Likes
    Centerville, IA in the very southern part, a little east of center. 25 miles from where the World Record whitetail was shot. This area is some of best trophy whitetail hunting ther is in the nation. Iowa second largest lake, Lake Rathbum is 20 mins away. One of the best crappie lakes in the US

Post Likes
    What I find interesting is the great divide between employees preception and the employers preception of how things are.

some where inbetween there lies a good balance.

I also find it interesting none of the employers mentions anything about the good employees that left their employement and why they left

do you employers conduct exit interviews to find out why a good employee leaves? or do you say oh well I'll find another in a jiffy ( i have a list of good techs waiting for the golden oppertunity to work for me)

Interesting indeed
    BTW no one is irreplacable the real question is how much will it cost and will the employer be able to profit from it ?
    www.vetopropac.com - The best tool bags on the market - The offical tool bag of choice by techs everywhere

Arguing with some people is like wrestling a pig - eventually you realise the pig actually enjoys it

Gonads serve a useful purpose but are no substitute for brains

+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in