Page 1 of 8 12345678 LastLast

Am I underpaid compared to my co-woker?

This have been bugging my for a while and I seek an answer but not from my boss yet. I just want to know if you guys think I am underpay compare to the other guy.

From what I know is that he was a Carpenter and got hired 6 months before me with no prior experience in Hvac. He was hired a installer/helper tech.

I recently graduated from tech school and received my universal EPA, Hvac and electrical diploma. Before all this I was in property maintenance. I have been with them for 6 month now. I was hired as a Service/helper tech.

I don't have a clue.

We can't all start at the top of the heap.

Are you worth what you are being paid?
    It`s better to be silent and thought the fool; than speak and remove all doubt.

I think I am being screw here. Shouldn't more experience get pay better? I mean I do everything he does plus service call.

If you focus on getting better at everything you do, and do the best you possibly can on every assignment they give you, the pay will come. I have found out if I focus on being the best tech I can in every way and help out wherever I can the pay follows.

If you just focus on how much you are getting paid, it will never be enough.

I may have missed it, but I don't see what you and he are being paid.

That being said, you should be focused on being the best you can be....and quit worrying about everyone else.

The key to your success is in the mirror.....
    Technical incompetence is NOT a sales tool....

Another thing, if you really, really believe you are getting screwed go try to find another job. See how marketable your skills are...

If he's been there a year and you've been there 6 months...how does that give you more experience?

Quote Originally Posted by fv_tom View Post
    If he's been there a year and you've been there 6 months...how does that give you more experience?
    Maybe he thinks those shiny new licenses give him experience.

Quote Originally Posted by Can-Gas View Post
    Maybe he thinks those shiny new licenses give him experience.
    Or maybe the property maint. he thinks is experience? My suggestion to you though, would be keep your mouth shut and don't worry about money. After just graduating trade school, if you found someone who is willing to give you a shot, then I would say you got pretty damn lucky. You cant compare your wage to other peoples wage, hell in all honesty, I really don't even know what I make, I know a ball park, but if someone asks me for an exact dollar amount I would have to wait for my paystub to come on Friday and find out. Why? Because it really doesn't matter to me, I know on Friday morning there is going to be X amount of dollars in my checking account, and I dont do my job for the money. I definately don't worry about what other guys I work with are making because it really quite irrelevant to me. And if I thought I were being underpaid, I would probably go to my boss and seek answers instead of going to a message board. Because in all honesty, he is the only one that knows the story behind both of you and why one is worth more than the other. It may be something as simple as he sees it as, the other guy has a family to provide for so he needs more money than you.. I've heard it befeore and I have also heard of more crazy things as well.

Quote Originally Posted by xxcels View Post
    This have been bugging my for a while and I seek an answer but not from my boss yet. I just want to know if you guys think I am underpay compare to the other guy.

From what I know is that he was a Carpenter and got hired 6 months before me with no prior experience in Hvac. He was hired a installer/helper tech.

I recently graduated from tech school and received my universal EPA, Hvac and electrical diploma. Before all this I was in property maintenance. I have been with them for 6 month now. I was hired as a Service/helper tech.
    If your concerned about the guy next to you and how much he is paid, that heads down a dead end path. It is in a lot of shops that discussing wages with the other guys is a firing offense. If I were in your shoes, I would concentrate on learning as much as I can from the guys I work with. Look for advancement where ever it is. Ask your boss how do I make more money and what do I need to do to get there? Hold him to it. A lot of bosses tell you what you want to hear but not deliver on what was discussed.

Number one rule in my shop: No discussion of pay among employees...terminal offense, period.
    (The wise men of modern thought) adore a god made of putty or of wax - plastic, effeminate, molluscous, with no masculine faculty about him, and no quality that entitles him to the respect of just and honest men, for a being who cannot be angry at wrongdoing is destitute of one of the essential virtues, and a moral Ruler who is not angry with the wicked, and who refuses to punish crime, is not divine. ---Spurgeon

"I may have missed it, but I don't see what you and he are being paid".

Um..ya..WTF???

Engrish is wonky too!
    "Politicians are the lowest form of life on Earth. Liberal Democrats are the lowest form of politician"

- General George S. Patton

Quote Originally Posted by shaygetz View Post
    Number one BROKEN rule in my shop: No discussion of pay among employees...terminal offense, period.
    ...fixed it for you

Some employees know more but do less and some know less but do more. Worry about yourself instead of your coworker.

Page 1 of 8 12345678 LastLast