Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    I have a three bedroom Colonial, less than 2000 square feet. We're finishing the attic and have taken out a huge whole house fan and would like to replace it with something smaller. Any suggestions?

whole house ventilation

some points to consider.....

noise level of the fan, rated in sones, the lower the sone the quieter it is. Belt drives are quieter than direct drives, availabilty of space to mount the fan, unobstructed air flow, (e.g. no doors between house and fan), and selection of good quality louvers, to insure the lowest amount of infiltration of outside air when the fan is not running. Your installing contractor should be able to furnish you a good fan, if he follows these parameters.

[Edited by re2ell on 03-06-2006 at 10:49 AM]

Office and warehouse in both Crystal River & New Port Richey ,FL
    Haven't used them but they sound good.

http://www.wholehousefan.com/theghost.html

attic fans

Originally posted by dash
    Haven't used them but they sound good.

http://www.wholehousefan.com/theghost.html
    nice fan dash. from that post I see that the manufacturer rates their fan noise level in dbA. That is a very quiet fan. For those of you that have an interest in sound levels check out this site.

http://www.lhh.org/noise/decibel.htm

The problem with that fan for me is that I don't have any room for it. It mounts between your roof rafters but it looks like your ceiling would need to be a couple of feet below your roof line. My ceiling will be four inches below my roof.

room for fan

If you have gable ends on your house you can locate your fan @ the low end of the gable, right above the attic floor discharging outside (with louvers) and enclose the inside with a short knee wall with a air grill designed with sufficient face area to allow the volume of air passing through. Your contractor doing the construction should have no problem fitting it in. You will loose minimal floor space, but maintain the ability to use whole house cooling.

Office and warehouse in both Crystal River & New Port Richey ,FL
    They have smaller ones on that site ,but not 4".

Don't do it if you're thinking of getting central AC. It just becomes another place for air infiltration. I'd rather get an attic fan (solar powered).

Nice looking fan. Would be nice if that one that fits between joist spaces was a little taller so you could insulated the area imediately around it the same as the rest of the attic.

Ive always wanted to use a EMC powered air handler section as a attic fan with a damper and some return type duct.

I can't see anything wrong with that and they arn't that much more than a regular whole house fan. Lots of speed control.
    I wander if hooking a air handler up to the return duct and exhausting it out side would qualify as a whole house fan.

Am i nuts.
    The cobler

Im in Florida...we put on in were the old Oil Furnace went into the attic.....on cool nights it does suck lots of air in ...but if kids close their bedroom doors..then limits paths for the air....also as others said....noisy...also even with the flaps closed when off we got lots of heat comeing through it from the attic....we finaly took it down and sealed up the 4'x4' hole.....now use it in the grage when Im hot or painting stuff.....

IF you live up north..and have mild weather most of the time might be a good thing..for us the heat gain 9 months out of the year beat out the energy saveings 1 or 2 months out of the year.
    73% of Americans say that illegal immigration is a problem. The other 27% say, "No habla inglis!"

close their bedroom doors..then limits paths for the air

doglips, then there is a project for you....add return air transfer ducts (or whatever they are called)to those rooms.

Originally posted by jacob perkins
    close their bedroom doors..then limits paths for the air

doglips, then there is a project for you....add return air transfer ducts (or whatever they are called)to those rooms.
    I got teenagers....I dont go near their rooms..much less in them without a shotgun, gas mask and rubber gloves...no telling what is liveing under the mess in their rooms.....not sure I want air escapeing from their rooms....may give the creatures liveing under their dirty laundry a way to escape
    73% of Americans say that illegal immigration is a problem. The other 27% say, "No habla inglis!"

no one born after 1960 uses Sones.

dBA is a widely used rating that is weighed towards the human response to sound.

look for sound power ratings to compare product to product.
    sound pressure ratings at a particular distance is a good measure of what you may get in the space/room.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast